• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Big Al

SFC = Resources as good or better than any other side. Support of FFA – Scheduling etc. Support of FOX – Player confidence /morale etc. Support of referees, pens, no cards, constant rub of the green etc...

Goes a long way to helping even a mediocre coach do well.

One big upside is that SFC will hopefully lose it's fitness and goal keeping coach as well. REALLY looking forward to seeing them gutted, and Clarkey and Crawley working for the NT.
Also the pressure. Seasons like ours aren’t acceptable down there. He’d be gone already.
We’ve been a good learning curve. He will understand the value of taking jobs with small resources if he goes overseas later.

For the Mariners I think he needs another year to finish building and give us a platform to move forward with

For him I’m sure he’d jump if it’s a realistic opportunity

Wombat

Just extend Tom H now so they get nowhere near him. Everyone else is no big loss

YES 3 year extension right now. I'd also give DDS another 2years. Baro an additional year.
Everyone else to be decided after a review of this season.

Wombat

Also the pressure. Seasons like ours aren’t acceptable down there. He’d be gone already.
We’ve been a good learning curve. He will understand the value of taking jobs with small resources if he goes overseas later.

For the Mariners I think he needs another year to finish building and give us a platform to move forward with

For him I’m sure he’d jump if it’s a realistic opportunity

I think its media wank tbh. Why would Bling FC offer the 2nd best side the HAL has ever had (Brisbane in their pomp would have pumped Syd 2018) to a novice with a poor track record.

Im a fan of Paul but he is only a B- this season thus far and a C (not being rude for the childish amongst you) since Christmas.

Big Al

Fab is now officially with Sydney for rest of season to play A League only. Can stop hanging around here now

bikinigirl

Liam does not impose himself on games. Will never be a great DM without that.

. decent summary

. interesting that when Garcia was with the club and he was asked about the standout players he nominated Rosebud
. same thing when the dutchies came in this year

. i have wondered whether moving him to CB was to try and give him that bit of mongrel (or purely from desperation)
. unfortunately i think it may have hindered his development as a DM (and ruled him out as AM) rather than improve it because it may have made him more likely to 'sit back' rather than 'get stuck in'

. i hope he is not one of those guys that shows great promise only to disappear ... the kid is still quite young though

bikinigirl

East Gosford Thai Massage welcomes you home.

He is a tough boy with granite legs and never groans or yelps (unlike me and most others).

I do challenge him to take on Kitty. Incredible therapist, in my opinion the best on the coast but she is brutal at times.

. Kitty hey

. i know where to send the hubby when he is having a whinge ... or misbehaving
. i think Pinkie may have been his limit ... good to know there are options to 'sort him out'

bikinigirl

It would appear the Melbourne City deal has fallen through for Rose the Younger as he's still listed as a Mariner. By my count, we have 22 players and should Wales be given a contract that would be the end of business for this season.

. maybe someone can help me out here ... i think we have all been working under the assumption of 23 players + (i think) 3 on youth contracts as the squad maximum numbers

. the reason i am asking for help is, according to the team listings on the Loose Cannon for our recent games:
  • WSW 24 players (none listed as Youth)
  • WP 24 players (they don't even play Youth)
  • MC 29 players! (no Cahill, none listed as Youth)
  • BR 29 players! (none listed as Youth)
. during that time the most we have had listed is 24 against MC (the last time Asdrubal and Ascroft were listed, Melling & Wales were also listed). Lachie sometimes didn't make the list and has most recently been listed as a Youth player

. so are the differences down to injuries and their replacements?

Wombat

. Kitty hey

. i know where to send the hubby when he is having a whinge ... or misbehaving
. i think Pinkie may have been his limit ... good to know there are options to 'sort him out'

Pinky gives a very strong massage but Kitty is physically stronger. Kitty's available every Monday and Wed.

I had to laugh on Friday as a very big man who was probably 130kg walked in and two of the girls groaned quietly while Pinky leapt up to welcome the challenge.
BG, your Hubby should try Jenny if he can come in on the weekend.

Gratis

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/03/kwabena-appiah-earned-overseas-transfer/
How has Kwabena Appiah earned an overseas transfer?

Kwabena Appiah was one of the fastest players in the A-League and is from time to time skilful with on average one successful dribble a game, but is that enough to earn a move overseas?

A player moving abroad should require more than skills and pace, other qualities which Appiah unfortunately lacks.

The first attacking ability he lacks is goal scoring. It’s unfortunate he had to wait five seasons to get his first A-League goal, especially when he had numerous opportunities to do so. Surprisingly, Paul Okon often put him up the front. Someone who doesn’t score simply cannot put up the front, unless he’s a false nine like Thomas Muller. But he may not be suited to that, because…

The second attacking ability he lacks is assisting. He hasn’t had a single recorded A-League assist on the A-League website (which doesn’t include seasons 2013-14 or 2012-13). That makes him quite unsuitable for playing as a false nine or some kind of attacking midfielder.

Admittedly Appiah’s favoured position is on the wing, but he lacks an important aspect in that area as well, his third and final attacking ability, crossing. Last season, he had a crossing average of 0%, and it’s only risen to 6.6% this season. It’s very problematic to have a wide player who can’t cross or cut back, no matter how fast or skilful he is.

Appiah can run and dribble all he likes, but what’s he going to do when getting rid of the ball? It’s either blaze it over the bar, cross it straight into the opposition or play a simple pass back to a central defensive midfielder or on of the wing-backs.

The only thing I can see him doing is maybe winning a penalty, but that only worked on one occasion, against Sydney FC’s Josh Brilliante.

Well, although my criticism seems harsh statistically, I wish all the best for Kwabena Appiah as he goes abroad, but if I was Lee Ki-Hyung, statistically I would consider buying another winger, and if I were Paul Okon now, I’d give the Australian U23 substitute Trent Buhagiar a shot.

scottmac

Suspended
Exactly what everyone's been saying here. It's a god send that he had got this transfer. We really may win more games purely because of this move. Trents turn. He probably won't start but he will get much more game time

Ozhammer

On the Rosebud debate, I will restate my view that this lad would make a great No. 10. He simply doesn’t have the physical presence or mongrel to play at CB or DM and is accordingly only ever going to be sub-standard in either position. It should be clear to anyone that has watched him that his undoubted qualities are control and movement of the ball and awareness of those around him, which last time I checked the FIFA Manual were things best suited to playing higher up the park.

I appreciate that with DDS in the squad he would likely have to play understudy but I honestly can’t help but think Okon has done him no favours these past two seasons playing him the way he has, which is particularly galling given that we were practically devoid of a proper No. 10 all last season.

I guess we all see the game differently but good coaching is surely about getting as much from each individual player as possible, especially where a team like ours can’t compete financially with our opponents.

Big Al

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/02/03/kwabena-appiah-earned-overseas-transfer/
How has Kwabena Appiah earned an overseas transfer?

Kwabena Appiah was one of the fastest players in the A-League and is from time to time skilful with on average one successful dribble a game, but is that enough to earn a move overseas?

A player moving abroad should require more than skills and pace, other qualities which Appiah unfortunately lacks.

The first attacking ability he lacks is goal scoring. It’s unfortunate he had to wait five seasons to get his first A-League goal, especially when he had numerous opportunities to do so. Surprisingly, Paul Okon often put him up the front. Someone who doesn’t score simply cannot put up the front, unless he’s a false nine like Thomas Muller. But he may not be suited to that, because…

The second attacking ability he lacks is assisting. He hasn’t had a single recorded A-League assist on the A-League website (which doesn’t include seasons 2013-14 or 2012-13). That makes him quite unsuitable for playing as a false nine or some kind of attacking midfielder.

Admittedly Appiah’s favoured position is on the wing, but he lacks an important aspect in that area as well, his third and final attacking ability, crossing. Last season, he had a crossing average of 0%, and it’s only risen to 6.6% this season. It’s very problematic to have a wide player who can’t cross or cut back, no matter how fast or skilful he is.

Appiah can run and dribble all he likes, but what’s he going to do when getting rid of the ball? It’s either blaze it over the bar, cross it straight into the opposition or play a simple pass back to a central defensive midfielder or on of the wing-backs.

The only thing I can see him doing is maybe winning a penalty, but that only worked on one occasion, against Sydney FC’s Josh Brilliante.

Well, although my criticism seems harsh statistically, I wish all the best for Kwabena Appiah as he goes abroad, but if I was Lee Ki-Hyung, statistically I would consider buying another winger, and if I were Paul Okon now, I’d give the Australian U23 substitute Trent Buhagiar a shot.
Someone’s salty we sold him. :p But it all truth. Best agent ever

Gratis

Lack of cash hinders Mariners strike hunt
By Australian Associated Press 03:40 AEDT 05 Feb 2018

Central Coast coach Paul Okon will place his faith in his band of low scoring forwards, after the Mariners failed to land a proven striker in the January transfer window.

The ninth-placed Mariners have scored a league-low 19 goals from as many games.

Blake Powell is their top scorer with four, with no other Mariner netting more than two.

In January , they released two forwards, with Kwabena Appiah moving to South Korea and Spaniard Asdrubal departing for personal reasons.

Their one forward signing in January was former youth international Peter Skapetis from Brisbane Roar.

Skapetis scored with his first touch in the 2-1 home loss to Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday.

But the Mariners lacked the financial clout to tempt more established strikers to the Central Coast..

"We tried really hard, but unfortunately when it comes time to find out how much the nines want, the numbers just didn't stack up,' Okon said.

"We have six attackers at this football club, and we;ll soldier on with those six attackers.

"We do feel that we have people that can find the back of the net.

"But we know that's an area that all season we have been disappointing in."

While the Mariners had several shots from the edge of the box on Sunday, they struggled to create close range chances.

The shortage of penetrating crosses and passes and poor decision making in their attacking third has been a recurring problem for Central Coast..

Several times on Sunday, Andrew Hoole got into threatening positions but either didn''t shoot, was dispossessed or took the wrong option.

"Maybe at times he could have pulled the trigger, or come up with a better solution and maybe he's a little bit low on confidence," Okon said of Hoole.

"But I thought Hooley's second half he was more in the game and he always looked like a threat, so it's something that he needs to keep working at, because the good thing is that he finds himself in those areas.

"We've spoken about all season in that final third, it's coming up with the better options."

Wanderers, who have scored just one more goal than the Mariners, gave a second half debut off the bench to Socceroos forward Chris Ikonomidis.

"He had just the one training session with the group, he was able to play the 45 minutes and I think his performance was very good," Wanderers' coach Josep Gombau said.

JoyfulPenguin

Lack of cash hinders Mariners strike hunt
By Australian Associated Press 03:40 AEDT 05 Feb 2018

Central Coast coach Paul Okon will place his faith in his band of low scoring forwards, after the Mariners failed to land a proven striker in the January transfer window.

The ninth-placed Mariners have scored a league-low 19 goals from as many games.

Blake Powell is their top scorer with four, with no other Mariner netting more than two.

In January , they released two forwards, with Kwabena Appiah moving to South Korea and Spaniard Asdrubal departing for personal reasons.

Their one forward signing in January was former youth international Peter Skapetis from Brisbane Roar.

Skapetis scored with his first touch in the 2-1 home loss to Western Sydney Wanderers on Sunday.

But the Mariners lacked the financial clout to tempt more established strikers to the Central Coast..

"We tried really hard, but unfortunately when it comes time to find out how much the nines want, the numbers just didn't stack up,' Okon said.

"We have six attackers at this football club, and we;ll soldier on with those six attackers.

"We do feel that we have people that can find the back of the net.

"But we know that's an area that all season we have been disappointing in."

While the Mariners had several shots from the edge of the box on Sunday, they struggled to create close range chances.

The shortage of penetrating crosses and passes and poor decision making in their attacking third has been a recurring problem for Central Coast..

Several times on Sunday, Andrew Hoole got into threatening positions but either didn''t shoot, was dispossessed or took the wrong option.

"Maybe at times he could have pulled the trigger, or come up with a better solution and maybe he's a little bit low on confidence," Okon said of Hoole.

"But I thought Hooley's second half he was more in the game and he always looked like a threat, so it's something that he needs to keep working at, because the good thing is that he finds himself in those areas.

"We've spoken about all season in that final third, it's coming up with the better options."

Wanderers, who have scored just one more goal than the Mariners, gave a second half debut off the bench to Socceroos forward Chris Ikonomidis.

"He had just the one training session with the group, he was able to play the 45 minutes and I think his performance was very good," Wanderers' coach Josep Gombau said.
Interesting to note that he says we have six attackers at the club, Skapetis, Hoole, Pain, Powell, Bingham, Wales, Buhagiar and Kekeris make 8...

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
People saying that Budgie needs to start, has anyone been watching him, sure his quick ( Ned Zelic keeps telling us) but what has his done really...he was only just north of awful at the Olyroos recent calamity, he appears out of his depth ( like most of our squad) speaking of which ....I have come to the conclusion that our fearless leader Paulo the Marvellous also appears way out of his depth , or his just too fkn stubborn, one or the other and dont get me started on Hoole!...he was great at Pluim v the Phoenix, oh those many months ago , then appears his just give up.....Skapetis looks the goods ...that’s assuming Okon the Magnificent gives him a starting run, I ain’t holding my breath on that one , that would mean Paulo changes his mind and god forbid that happens

Insertnamehere

People saying that Budgie needs to start, has anyone been watching him, sure his quick ( Ned Zelic keeps telling us) but what has his done really...he was only just north of awful at the Olyroos recent calamity, he appears out of his depth ( like most of our squad) speaking of which ....I have come to the conclusion that our fearless leader Paulo the Marvellous also appears way out of his depth , or his just too fkn stubborn, one or the other and dont get me started on Hoole!...he was great at Pluim v the Phoenix, oh those many months ago , then appears his just give up.....Skapetis looks the goods ...that’s assuming Okon the Magnificent gives him a starting run, I ain’t holding my breath on that one , that would mean Paulo changes his mind and god forbid that happens
Like I keep saying, I think he as many others are, are being played out of position or given overly complex instruction.
I think budgie's a forward or winger that should be running into the ball. Or out wide, staying wide and taking the ball wider past a defender to the byline.
While I'm on the byline, not enough crossing from it and not with enough sting on the ball.
Skapetis looks an out an out striker. Which we've needed all year. Powell is improving but he's a poacher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred