• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

Gratis

Strikers all much better than him (no particular order)
Taggart and Keogh Perth
Berisha
Maccorone - Maclearen last year
Reira
Snake
Bobo

We need a much better striker. I believe Asdrubal is a good player but is not delivering as per the players above.
I don't feel I've seen enough to make a call there, he's also shown the kind of quality that if played at consistently would be better than most in that list.
Had he had a chance to settle in yet? We're all watching to see I guess

pinklady

Sorry Syd his time is up. Hasn’t scored in forever. Is just a battering ram to hold on to leads. CCU would be perfect
Although I have always been a big Matt Simon fan, I agree that he is not what we need at the moment or for next season. However I think the "CCU would be perfect" comment is a bit insulting to both CCU and to Matt. Are you saying that Matt is such a rubbish player that he is not good enough to play in the A League or NPL 1,2 or 3 and would be perfect for a 5th tier club; or are you saying that CCU are a rubbish club whose perfect striker is someone still only 31 but not considered good enough (by you) to play in any of the top 4 leagues.

Big Al

Although I have always been a big Matt Simon fan, I agree that he is not what we need at the moment or for next season. However I think the "CCU would be perfect" comment is a bit insulting to both CCU and to Matt. Are you saying that Matt is such a rubbish player that he is not good enough to play in the A League or NPL 1,2 or 3 and would be perfect for a 5th tier club; or are you saying that CCU are a rubbish club whose perfect striker is someone still only 31 but not considered good enough (by you) to play in any of the top 4 leagues.
Mat is no longer A League standard IMO. CCU on the other hand is about local players. He is local. Would give them the ability to go up the grades and good press. The comment wasn’t about where CCU are at division wise. They maybe at the bottom but pretty sure they want to go up and quickly. To me he fits it perfectly. Coming down from the highest level players might just say bugger it I’m retiring. He would be a great player to build the club around. No disrespect was meant standard wise. Was thinking community benefits.
They should be trying to get all the NPL2 boys as well when they get dropped for age restrictions. I think this is what they are trying to sell. They will move up quickly if they do

Big Al

Im a fan of Adrubal thus far.
Im not a fan of Maccorone.
Maccorone has 6 goals and an assist. He maybe old but he scores when given a chance.

Asdrubal 2 goals (one that hit him and went in).

Simplistic i agree but strikers are judged on that.

Asdrubal gives a lot of effort but doesn’t score on those half chances.

Is he not linking well with our other attackers? Maybe and that can take time

Is our system not good for a striker? That is possible to. Roy was licking his lips for Jets but has probably got as many chances there in a dozen games vs all last year.

Maybe Asdrubal size plays against him. I wouldn’t mind a look at him on the wing and Powell up front just for a change but doubt that will happen.

I like his effort but results (goals) not good enough at the moment for me. Lets hope he can bang a few in over the next couple of weeks

pjennings

Mat is no longer A League standard IMO. CCU on the other hand is about local players. He is local. Would give them the ability to go up the grades and good press. The comment wasn’t about where CCU are at division wise. They maybe at the bottom but pretty sure they want to go up and quickly. To me he fits it perfectly. Coming down from the highest level players might just say bugger it I’m retiring. He would be a great player to build the club around. No disrespect was meant standard wise. Was thinking community benefits.
They should be trying to get all the NPL2 boys as well when they get dropped for age restrictions. I think this is what they are trying to sell. They will move up quickly if they do

If he doesn't get another HAL gig this would be great for CCU instead of going back to East Gosford Rams

Wombat

Maccorone has 6 goals and an assist. He maybe old but he scores when given a chance.

Asdrubal 2 goals (one that hit him and went in).

Simplistic i agree but strikers are judged on that.

Asdrubal gives a lot of effort but doesn’t score on those half chances.

Is he not linking well with our other attackers? Maybe and that can take time

Is our system not good for a striker? That is possible to. Roy was licking his lips for Jets but has probably got as many chances there in a dozen games vs all last year.

Maybe Asdrubal size plays against him. I wouldn’t mind a look at him on the wing and Powell up front just for a change but doubt that will happen.

I like his effort but results (goals) not good enough at the moment for me. Lets hope he can bang a few in over the next couple of weeks

Our system sucks balls if you are a striker. Maccarone would be on 2 in our team.

Forum Phoenix

My son was saying this last week about our system also.

In most games we've seemed able to get a decent amount of balls into the box. But's it's been a bit too rare that they find our striker or even another attacker, and when good balls have gone through there's often been no forward where you might hope they would be.

Our system 'should' be able to work for a striker I think. But in terms of striker issues vs system, vs final ball/delivery or all of the above... I can't tell where one thing ends and the other begins at the moment.

We've been too stop start - having to bring in Kubi and then losing Tom, and now the VAR debacle has really impacted on us building our rhythm and that crucial understanding. Massive shame as we've seen some amazing evidence that the potential for that kind of understanding in our attack is very high, but as yet... no way could you say we look that coherent in the final third imo.

I like Adsrubal's hustle and passion though I'm unsure of his finishing quality/consistency yet so like others holding back an opinion on him. But I'll go as far as to say I don't think we have a striker yet who is capable of creating their own chances from nothing like a Berisha or Fornaroli. And that would be ideal.

Last edited:

shipwreck

Pretty abysmal few weeks, I feel the wheels came off after we failed to back up after the awesome Sydney FC win, that was our peak, then we crashed and never recovered.

Sure it was condensed by the Tommy H injury and the VAR rubbish, but we really have no excuses anymore, our system just doesn't allow a striker to score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred