• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 13 - 2017- 2018

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
The covert agent on twitter is talking Jacob Melling from WSW is as good as got by Okon...to cover DDS while his off in that waste iof fkn time , so that will be DDS out, Tommy moved forward and Melling in Tommy’s defensive postie.....I think

Woollybutt

I can't remember who we had injured but it wasn't an attacker. We signed Mori and then the FFA changed the rules after so it had to be like for like.
Cos we're not SFC.
Ah, that was it, thanks. I remember fuming at the time! Between that, the briefly-enforced Perez rule, and the one night only 'VAR can upgrade yellows to reds' decision, there's no club that comes close to us for being uniquely shafted by the FFA.

Big Al

The covert agent on twitter is talking Jacob Melling from WSW is as good as got by Okon...to cover DDS while his off in that waste iof fkn time , so that will be DDS out, Tommy moved forward and Melling in Tommy’s defensive postie.....I think
He had promise at city but hasn’t done anything recently

Liam Rose has to be a gonna at years end if true

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Both him and Budgie , Big Al
Both have been less than adequately used under this particular regime....although there were horror tales of Trent’s ever increasing head

JoyfulPenguin

Melling is a decent player with plenty of potential but absolutely not what we need at the moment. Where does this leave Liam Rose and Adam Berry? We don't need another defensive midfielder. Sign Melling at the end of the season if Okon wants him, now is not the time, when we only have one spot available and a goal drought. All this makes Berry's three year contract before Okon was on the scene even dumber, who said yes to that decision? Even if we had only a minimum contract to offer there are plenty of players, in the positions we need, in need of a contract or game time.

Fishsdad

Melling is a decent player with plenty of potential but absolutely not what we need at the moment. Where does this leave Liam Rose and Adam Berry....? All this makes Berry's three year contract before Okon was on the scene even dumber, who said yes to that decision? .

Many decisions are right at the time, but as years go by things change. My recollection is that Rosebud won our Player-of-the-Year in his first season. Admittedly this was our worst ever season, but nevertheless he was definitely a rising star at the time, and many (including me) were really happy he had a long term contract. As I said, things change over time...

Berry is a little different, he was signed for potential, which has not eventuated.

Woollybutt

Is that the same guy that said Okon was off to coach Wanderers? I'm not fully convinced the Melling rumour is true if so, and if it is then it doesn't make much sense to me either. Has Tom ever even played as a ten? The only thing I can think of is if Liam Rose is expected to be off in January, then Melling makes sense as experienced cover for Brama and Tom with plenty of potential as well.

Woollybutt

Many decisions are right at the time, but as years go by things change. My recollection is that Rosebud won our Player-of-the-Year in his first season. Admittedly this was our worst ever season, but nevertheless he was definitely a rising star at the time, and many (including me) were really happy he had a long term contract. As I said, things change over time...

Berry is a little different, he was signed for potential, which has not eventuated.
I remember watching Rose play for the first time in a preseason trial, I think against the Jets in Mudgee. He must have been seventeen and played as a number six with incredible maturity, and I tipped him to be a Socceroos regular within five years. I still think he is a great little footballer, and I'll be gutted if we lose him for nothing.

Big Al

Bizarre in the sence we have more defensive mids than we can poke a stick at.

Would Liam move into the starting lineup and Melling to the bench?

We don’t want to loose Liam mid season as he is the CB back up. Although McGing could if needed with Rowles if desperate

JoyfulPenguin

Oh don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to have Liam Rose and have signed him for a long time, personally would have preferred to have signed him longer. He has demonstrated ability at A-League level and it was Okon's decision to extend his contract. What I have a problem with is the signing of Adam Berry, an unproven defensive midfielder fresh out of Leeds United's academy who had never played a senior game, being given a three year deal when John Hutchinson was our caretaker coach, who made that decision and why didn't we wait till we had brought in a new senior coach? Taking away a squad position is a big deal in the A-League, especially for us not always paying the whole salary cap, and we locked in someone for three seasons who was unproven without input from anyone who would be leading our footballing department in those years ahead. Okon is now trying to replace him, and we have Berry (or at least his wage) on our books till the end of next season.

Big Al

Oh don't get me wrong I'm more than happy to have Liam Rose and have signed him for a long time, personally would have preferred to have signed him longer. He has demonstrated ability at A-League level and it was Okon's decision to extend his contract. What I have a problem with is the signing of Adam Berry, an unproven defensive midfielder fresh out of Leeds United's academy who had never played a senior game, being given a three year deal when John Hutchinson was our caretaker coach, who made that decision and why didn't we wait till we had brought in a new senior coach? Taking away a squad position is a big deal in the A-League, especially for us not always paying the whole salary cap, and we locked in someone for three seasons who was unproven without input from anyone who would be leading our footballing department in those years ahead. Okon is now trying to replace him, and we have Berry (or at least his wage) on our books till the end of next season.
Berry is decent and was very young he’d be on broken biscuits but he was signed after we played Paulo’s Olyroos and week before Paulo. I reckon there might have been some involvement but no proof.

Big Al

Tom will play DDS role well as DDS gets quite deep. Doesn’t play a traditional #10 roll so I think that plan can work.

JoyfulPenguin

Berry is decent and was very young he’d be on broken biscuits but he was signed after we played Paulo’s Olyroos and week before Paulo. I reckon there might have been some involvement but no proof.
I think Berry is capable of playing A-League and excelling, but Okon certainly doesn't seem to think so based on this season. I just question why he was given a full senior contract for so long if he was just going to play in the academy and make a few appearances off the bench he wasn't and isn't a highly sort after player .You can do what he has done with a youth contract and then we have an extra spot for a senior player at no extra cost to us.

scottmac

Suspended
Melling? That's a f**king joke. We've got so many f**king midfielders on the books who can do a job. We dont have one f**king striker. Powell isn't a striker. Asdrubal isn't a striker. Bingham isn't a strikers arsehole.
I think the better option would be to drop Asdrubal and Powell back into a false 9 position or advanced midfield and GET A f**kING STRIKER

VicMariner

Melling has some mongrel about him. I like him a lot.

But, yeah, we need a proper striker bad and Melling isn't one.

Big Al

I think Berry is capable of playing A-League and excelling, but Okon certainly doesn't seem to think so based on this season. I just question why he was given a full senior contract for so long if he was just going to play in the academy and make a few appearances off the bench he wasn't and isn't a highly sort after player .You can do what he has done with a youth contract and then we have an extra spot for a senior player at no extra cost to us.
It’s not how we roll. Young and cheap to fill out the squad. I think alot of teams do this.

The bigger problem is the academy not producing top talent.

JoyfulPenguin

It’s not how we roll. Young and cheap to fill out the squad. I think alot of teams do this.

The bigger problem is the academy not producing top talent.
On scholarships outside the cap not inside, when we need to spend the cap as best we can. All I am saying is we could have had Berry and an additional player for nearly the same cost or payed a little bit better to get a better quality of player and had one less player in the squad. That $55,000 could have helped us compete financially for Wilkinson/Vidosic/Blackwood and maybe even have helped us keep Galloway or O'Donovan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred