• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

soccer mad

I think you have to be really careful with how much you read into the games for the rest of the season tbh... I think it was clear that the confidence was shot even before kick-off... I also think that's one of the reasons why they responded so well to the goal that was allowed... Would've been really interesting to see how we'd have gone if we hadn't gotten shafted on that first goal I think.

But at the core, I think morale is such that the only thing to clear it is an off-season, a bit of a cool-down and relax, then some pre-season training and a bit of stability in the squad.
I've said it before but I feel like there actually has been quite a bit of improvement over the season - if I try to look past the obvious lack of confidence.

For starters, I thought Posco was a prospect at the start of the season, where I see him as a starter now.
Neill was really struggling in defence at the beginning of the season, he's starting to look a lot more stable there.
Ascroft again, had some promise - I think he's looked much-improved as a MF since the City home game.
Rose-the-younger has gained a lot in confidence... There's still quite a bit of work to be done there but, I remember watching one of the early games this season - and even commenting on here - feeling that he looked well nervous... Tended to hoof the ball away as soon as it got to him, to avoid getting manhandled... The manhandling clearly still annoys him, but he doesn't look as scared.
Actually - now that I'm thinking of it, Bingham falls in my much-improved category too... I know he came highly rated, but I didn't see much of anything in him until he started getting more time this season (obviously ;) ).

I think there's more but I actually only meant for it to be a short list of examples - it just developed into a longer list as I started thinking about it ;)
Suffice to say that, obviously, I think there's been quite a bit more improvement than we realise... It's just gotten bogged down between confidence issues, age, rumoured disciplin issues (Bosnar, Reddy, Caceres, Fitzy, Sim etc. etc.), inexperience etc.

But it's really the confidence thing that has me looking towards another season with a bit of hope... I'm on the "give-'im-till-Chrissy" bandwagon at this point.
I totally agree , I feel the core group of players are better off with a season under thier belt and have seen them grow my concerns are more the tactical decisions and leadership on the field , and coaching decision that's where I'm still not convinced, I'd be happy to eat humble pie if proven otherwise, but feel it's a big gamble, that could lead to another disruptive year.

nebakke

I totally agree , I feel the core group of players are better off with a season under thier belt and have seen them grow my concerns are more the tactical decisions and leadership on the field , and coaching decision that's where I'm still not convinced, I'd be happy to eat humble pie if proven otherwise, but feel it's a big gamble, that could lead to another disruptive year.

For the on-field issues, again I think that boils down to a large part frustration and general unsettlement in the first half of the season... I think the two have strongly combined and worked together with the seriously s****y ref calls we've received this season... Much like happened with Roy, if the players feel that they're being left completely unprotected, at some point they're going to snap.

I think we can easily agree on the gamble bit - I think the difference between us, might be in the perception of the size of the gamble in getting a new coach in. Personally, I think there's a possible excuse/reason for most of the odder decisions that Walmsley's made this season. Not the least of which is the persistence with Izzo - I have to admit that he's improved quite a bit, even if I'd still prefer Bray in there. A lot of the decisions make more sense if he's playing the team with a view to develop them into next season... One of the big things for mine, is going to come down to how many - if any - of the starting 11 we lose in the off-season.
Ultimately though, given our presumably precarious finances and the general inability of anyone but Adelaide and us, to find a coach who hasn't done the rounds at least once, I'm not sure that I agree that it's much less of a gamble to hire a replacement than it is to persist with TW until we know for sure that he can't hack it :)

Last edited:

Wombat

Jade North is a better defender than any we have in our squad atm.
Sure he looks like a cast member of the walking dead but he is a decent player.

MagpieMariner

Admittedly he is a decent player, but he's a Scummer (well, ex-Scummer, but still a Scummer). Anyway, as an ex(?)-Socceroo he'd be too expensive for us unless we made him a marquee, and he wouldn't put too many bums on seats, so not a marquee.

Wombat

He is 34 so would not demand top dollar. I think 150-180k on a 2 year contract would make everyone happy.

FFC Mariner

Any back 4 at any level always plays better as a unit when they have confidence in their keeper.

You build teams from the back and we need to start with an experienced, competent keeper and go from there

I'd suggest that with a Reddy, Covic, Danny type we wouldnt have got the spoon.

Close, but we wouldn't have that stain on the club

Wombat

Certainly better than Izzo.
Irritates me when he just watches the ball fly past him at times.

pjennings

Any back 4 at any level always plays better as a unit when they have confidence in their keeper.

You build teams from the back and we need to start with an experienced, competent keeper and go from there

I'd suggest that with a Reddy, Covic, Danny type we wouldnt have got the spoon.

Close, but we wouldn't have that stain on the club

Agree totally in principal to the bolded bit - but will add that they need to communicate well and I don't think Danny or Liam fit the bill there (not sure about Covic). I like Danny and Reddy has great hand speed but neither were good communicators with their back four. They were both lucky to have experienced defenders to set the backline. Unfortunately both of these players tend to communicate well after the damage has been done i.e. after a goal or at least a shot on goal.

We have had two exceptional communicators, John Crawley and Maty Ryan, who not only communicated with the back four but also with the rest of the team up to the central strikers. Bray in the very short time I have seen him seems to be in the same mould.

In summary - I think you are correct that you build from the back - but an experienced CB who communicates well can do the same job (think Meggsy season one, Wilko, Patty Z even Trent. Whether the keepers you mentioned would have done the job is debateable.

Big Al

They also ignored the word Roma.

But does need more time.

We need someone more experienced.

Good talent though

Forum Phoenix

De Silva is quality, I'd love to have him, but big Al is right. We're going to need to look for players who are older and I personally also think we should focus on foreign. We need people who don't give a shit about the year past and what FOX has spewed (and will continue spewing until we're top four again for a number of weeks that they can't argue with or ignore) who are good mentors, accomplished players, can read a game well and who can play pressure football without being fazed. Some wise heads with good feet.

Personally I feel much less confident about finding the three essential spine players we need (CB, CAM, FW) by shuffling through the OZ deck which is a bit thin on the ground and in which we would be the lowest on each HAL players wish to be signed by list.

pjennings

De Silva is quality, I'd love to have him, but big Al is right. We're going to need to look for players who are older and I personally also think we should focus on foreign. We need people who don't give a shit about the year past and what FOX has spewed (and will continue spewing until we're top four again for a number of weeks that they can't argue with or ignore) who are good mentors, accomplished players, can read a game well and who can play pressure football without being fazed. Some wise heads with good feet.

Personally I feel much less confident about finding the three essential spine players we need (CB, CAM, FW) by shuffling through the OZ deck which is a bit thin on the ground and in which we would be the lowest on each HAL players wish to be signed by list.

There is more than an element of truth in that. If a couple of decent signings can be made soon to show intent then the rest of the recruitment would be easier.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah I think that's a wise call. Showing intent now would also help stem some of the bleeding and hopefully refocus the playing group early as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred