• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

Coach

Personally, I'd be letting 24yo Stella go.

I thought his signing in the Jan transfer window was an odd one to say the least. He didn't impress me way back when he was at Victory. He signed a two-and-a-half year deal in Jan 2013 with Melbourne Victory after impressing Postecoglou, becoming their third signing of the summer, along with Jesse Makarounas and Scott Galloway.

Stella spent the majority of the 2013–14 season in the National Youth League, scoring eight goals. They released him after just 1.5yr into a 2.5 yr deal in July 2014. He only made just seven appearances during his time at the Victory.

Moved on to the Thai league next
- 4 games there & then back to the NPL in Vic with Avondale - 10 games there.

THEN CAME TO US.

So from July 2014 (released fr MVIC) .......
to Jan 2016 (when CCM signed him)
- He ONLY played a total of 14 games in 18mnths !!!

Which goes a long way in my mind as to why he hasn't really developed much from what I saw when at MVIC. By comparison 20yo Makarounas & 21yo Galloway are still at Melb.Victory and they're both getting 1st team football regularly.

Stella looks the same to me, just 2 years later & older. :-|

There has to be better out there in the NPL's for mind.

Blake Powell, also 24yo, at Wellington Phoenix is a good example. Sure he's a striker/ anywhere in a front 3 player - compared to Stella @ AM or also wide in a front 3
BUTTTT !!!
Powell and Stella are both getting paid the same money .............. minimum wage.

Powell, who came from Apia Leichhardt in the NSW NPL has made 20 appearances for the Nix this year. 11 of them starting (of those 11- 6 times subbed), & came of the bench for the remaining 9 games.

Hes scored 8 goals thus far. (4 in ONE GAME! against top of the table WSW)

That's fcuk'n awesome value for money, the same money were paying to a player the calibre of Stella.

Powell's 12 mnth deal is up at the end of the season & I'm sure Merrick will be clamouring for his signature, as will others.

Likewise, would other clubs be interested in Stella ??? That's the litmus test.

I think we can find better

I seem to recall Powell trialed for us this past preseason during one of the closed door trials and we didnt want him.

Rowdy

'Coach' said:
I seem to recall Powell trialed for us this past preseason during one of the closed door trials and we didnt want him.

Poor error in judgement there by TW imo.

Yes, as SMad stated, the Wee Judas, Bonavecia & the Ambo Driver have been providing him good service at the Nix allowing BP to show his quality.

But he could have easily have produced for us in the wide attacking roles (which is where Merrick has mostly played him) rotating and more importantly putting pressure on Austin & Ferreira this season to perform.

We've had no-one pushing them to take their place in the starting line-up which I think has somewhat reflected in both of their outputs.

In fact, TW is STILL NOW tinkering to find a like-for-like replacement for both &/or jiging the formation to cover their injuries/suspensions.

Just another one of the many parameters that's contributed to our inconsistency going forward this season.

Spacks

Keep
Bray
Hewerd-Belle
Izzo
Uskok
Ascroft
Poscoliero
J.Rose
Neill
McDonald
Roux
Montgomery
McGing
L.Rose
Fletcher
Austin
Ferriera
O'Donovan

Release

Stella
Garcia
Heffernan
Bingham

Need
Midfielder (blake ricciuto or iqbal jawadi)
Centreback
Attacking Midfielder
Back-up Striker (Joey Gibbs)

Football nut

Middy, it's a squad of 26 players - has been for quite a few years now. Just that we've been to 'povo' to fill the max allowable. ;)

Minimum squad size allowed is 20 players.
Min squad 20 max 23 with the option of 3 NYL players, not all clubs take up this option.

Big Al

1st chat is with J Rose. What you doing next year as we have enjoyed your services but your declining fast. Hang em up.

I like Stella, good backup AM, Trifiros spot. He moves well has a good shot and good vision. Needs to be stronger and more decisive.

Uskok looks good to.

Heffernan got to go.

Bray to stay.

Would like to see McGing released, has got worse and to similar to Ashcroft. It's one or the other.

Fletcher can go to, but contracted.

LaRass

I thought Bingham was signed until 2016/17 along with THB? Or am i just not seeing something right?

Spacks

1st chat is with J Rose. What you doing next year as we have enjoyed your services but your declining fast. Hang em up.

I like Stella, good backup AM, Trifiros spot. He moves well has a good shot and good vision. Needs to be stronger and more decisive.

Uskok looks good to.

Heffernan got to go.

Bray to stay.

Would like to see McGing released, has got worse and to similar to Ashcroft. It's one or the other.

Fletcher can go to, but contracted.

I agree with most of what you said except mcging was originally a midfielder. Put him in the midfield, Ascroft at the back.

Rowdy

In Australia, a 2 way convo is generally referred to as 'hav'n a chat' ;)

A one way convo is a 'berating'

One wonders if TW has been on the recieving end of a few 'one way's' ???

FFC Mariner

In Australia, a 2 way convo is generally referred to as 'hav'n a chat' ;)

A one way convo is a 'berating'

One wonders if TW has been on the recieving end of a few 'one way's' ???

I'd say no. He can't be fired as results don't matter. He has the best job in the world

Mug Punter

It's a fair call to keep him and give him the resources to get the job done, to be fair probably knew from Day 1 he was in for the year from hell.

Now, looking at the squad, who are keepers, either as first team (or close to it) or just as squad?

My 20c

Roux 23 (first team)
J Rose 34 (first team)
Poscoliero 25 (first team)
Ashcroft 20 (first team fringes)
Austin 24 (first team)
FABIO 26 (first team)
Monty 34 (first team)
O'Donovan 30 (first team fringes)
Buhagiar 18 (squad)
L Rose 18 (squad)
Stella 24 (squad)
Bingham 21 (first team fringes)
Neill 21 (first team fringes)
McGing 21 (first team fringes)
Izzo 21 or Bray 22 (squad)

For starters I like the age depth chart of that list, only 3 of the 15 over the age of 26. If only we could keep them together for a while

So, based on a genuine squad of 22 (plus a few development players on incentive deals) that means 7 quality in and zero required players out, though on that note if we genuinely got any transfer fee 100% added to the existing playing budget rather than general revenue I say all players are for sale at the right price.

I see us having six players of first team quality (harsh perhaps) and five that can do a job at a pinch but we don't wish to be regulars, hardly suprising we are so rubbish is it? Hopefully some of the fringers step up to regulars and you'd hope a couple of squads become fringers. Anyway with six in we get 12 genuine A league players and 5 fringe. It's still wafer thin but if the players we get in a genuine senior players it gives us a fighting chances.

I'd be drafting in the following

* GK x 1
* CB x 2
* Midfield x 2
* Strikers x 2
Clearly is the players can play more than one position that would be of benefit....

dibo

I think that's bullshit. His contract is for one year. If he doesn't do well enough then he doesn't get another gig. If he's sacked he gets paid out anyway, so I don't think he has a more charmed life than a manager with a three year deal and a chairman breathing down his neck.

pjennings

First of all I'm making a lot of assumptions here based on reports - nothing I have seen from the club.

Our current 21 man squad is said to cost $1,800,000 plus Luis Garcia. (I have not including Kalik).

The current players contracted for next year would therefore cost $1.800,000 minus a minimum of $275,000 for the release of Buhagiar, Bray, Uskok, Stella, Heffernan plus $55,000 for TBH would leave at total committed spend for next year of $1,580,000 for a total of 16 players (Izzo, Neill, McDonald, Poscoliero, Roux, Montgomery, Rose, Fletcher, Rose Snr, Austin, O'Donovan, Bingham, Ferriera, Hewerd-Belle, Ascroft and McGing).

We have been told that the club will put at least some money from the Maty Ryan sell-on towards new players – let’s assume around $600,000 (of the $900,000 to $1,000,000.) is added to at least the floor of the cap. That would give us a total budget of $2,940,000. That gives us $1,360,000 to by a maximum of 10 players.

I suspect we will re-sign Buhagiar and probably sign Adelson on minimum contracts. That would leave us at $1,250,000 to buy a maximum of 8 players. 5 players would take us to 23 players.

For that are priority signings are

• An experienced first team CB
  • An experienced central midfielder (ultimately a Monty replacement)
  • A real number 10
then

• A first choice keeper (possibly Bray but we haven’t seen enough)
  • A backup CB (possibly Uskok)

If the last 2 are Bray and Uskok then we should have over $1million to target our 3 priority signings

pjennings

I think that's bullshit. His contract is for one year. If he doesn't do well enough then he doesn't get another gig. If he's sacked he gets paid out anyway, so I don't think he has a more charmed life than a manager with a three year deal and a chairman breathing down his neck.

I think that there will be a point in the coming season where a decision will be made.

If things haven't improved then I think MC, PS and TW will decide for TW to move back to the TD when a suitable replacement can be found. If things have improved then the status quo may well remain. I would not expect to hear anything official from the club until a deal was done.

That said - I'm hoping/expecting that with an improved squads will come improved results and we will look back in 10 years and give thanks as we pass through the Tony Walmsley gates at the stadium. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred