• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

pjennings

Given that we are already talking about next year in the HAL 11 thread I thought it might be a good time to start this. Current contracts as far as I can ascertain.

Expiring contracts (6)

Bray
Uskok
Stella
Garcia
Heffernan
Buhagiar

2017 - (14)

Izzo
Neill
McDonald
Poscoliero
Roux
Montgomery
Rose
Fletcher
Kalik
Rose
Austin
O'Donovan
Bingham
Ferriera

2018 - (3)

Hewerd-Belle
Ascroft
McGing

Last edited:

Ancient Mariner

I would keep Bray, let Heffernon, Uskok and Stella go. Assuming we are signing a quality centre half.

Garcia, I imagine will go. I would like another Perez style as a Marquee (Amini or Rogic, in my dreams).

sydmariner

I'd keep all of them (including Garcia) apart from Izzo & Dan Heffernan, I'd also Sign Wilko & Simon (if arnie goes).

Wombat

I'd probably let Heff, Stella and Garcia go.
kallik has gone.
I'd keep Bray and try to offload Izzo.
I'm not sure of Uskok either way.

JoyfulPenguin

Personally I'd start by getting rid of Garcia, Heffernan and Uskok (though keep him on speed dial as an injury replacement). Then I'd start Stella and Bray for the last few games and if either of them showed enough I'd sign them on minimum one year deals (possibly two years for Bray). Look for a quality experienced Australian Centre Back (such as Wilkinson, Candsell-Sherrif or Rhys Williams) and put 400,000 contract on the table to lure them. Sign Bradden Inman once Crewe get relegated for as long as possible and for whatever he asks for. Sign Bret Holman if possible. Invite (and pay for flights for) all top interested State League, NZ premiership, South East Asian leagues, Oceania leagues, players for trials and pick the best and sign them on minimum wage contracts. Sign a visa LB with lower league European experience or Andy Rose if possible. Sign a visa defensive midfielder and finally sign a visa winger to pressure Austin and Ferriera.

pjennings

My starting point is that I am not used to see us continually near the bottom. We have finished 8th before last season but bounced back. This did not happen this season for a variety of reasons. I think that if we want to continue to have a team on the coast we have to 'compete' next year. That starts almost immediately. We have to lock in some important signings as soon as possible in order to show not only the fans, but the existing players, sponsors and the FFA that this years financial restructure at the expense of the football was just a transition point. It needs to be shown from next season that we can continually improve in a balanced way both on and off the field.

That being said my approach would be to look at our existing players and decide who can perform consistently at HAL level and who are squad players that we are comfortable playing in a strong side. That should be the basis of identifying what we need. TBH I think that all of our 17 contracted players deserve to be in a HAL squad - we just do not have the consistently performing experience to support that many youngsters.

The second point is the age of Monty and Josh Rose. When recruiting for the coming season we have to be looking forward as well to the following season. As TW said in the press conference we played the second half yesterday without a 'ball-winning' midfielder. Even if we sign Wilko, I would be keen to also sign someone like Chris Herd that is a 'ball-winning midfielder' but also can cover at CB and RB. At 26 he is 9 years Monty's junior and should be in his prime.

My wish list (quite similar to Joyful Penguin). I'd look at Bray and Stella for the remaining games even if that means Luis of the bench. We need someone who we are comfortable as a first choice GK - at this stage for me that is neither Izzo or THB. If Bray can prove his worth then behind a stronger squad I think he has the attributes to do well.

For the spine

Bray or other first choice keeper
Wilko
One of Herd or Williams - both can play DM, CB and RB
Inman
Stella

Out wide
Adelson
Buhagiar

For both
Holman - can play CAM, LW, CS, RW

I don't think we will sign all of these but the CB and DM are a must. On another note it would not surprise me at all if we saw a couple of sales on top of the rumoured Kalik sale.

Ancient Mariner

From what I have seen so far Stella is too slow, both in thought and actual speed. Maybe he needs better cattle around him and I would like to be proved mistaken. However at this stage I would let him go.

Some very useful names tossed about. But I doubt we could compete with the money in China and Middle East. Hopefully some have enough and would come for lifestyle.

localpom

I would keep them all apart from Heff, who i quite like but is obviously going. Kalik by the sign of things has gone already. Uskok has shown more than enough to be retained. With Heff and Kalik gone we have 20 spots tied up, and it is not an expensive squad. If Luis can be resigned for a reasonable fee, his experience will be invaluable to the kids and with a full pre-season he will get better. That leaves 4 or 5 signings and i guess there will be 2 or 3 of kids (Trent/Berry/Adelson?), add Wilko, Hersi and Finkler and we are looking competitive again.

JoyfulPenguin

Anyone know if Kalik is actually seeing minutes in his loan spell?
He's made one 10 minute substitute appearance and then was an unused sub a couple of times. But hasn't been in the squad for the last three games.
Edit: Apparently came off the bench in the 29th minute this morning

Last edited:

nebakke

Definatly keep uskok .
I'd be happy to keep stella to .

For mine, Uskok has done more than enough... To me he should currently be in our starting 11 - I really like Ascroft, I like him best in MF though.
If we could actually land Wilko, Uskok might have to be a bench-player for a bit, as I'd rather Posco next to Wilko. But if we were to persist with Posco at FB, I'd think Uskok would be the next choice.

A backline of Posco - Uskok - Wilko - Neill or Storm - Posco - Wilko - Neill would be a relatively stabilising prospect for us I think.

I agree on Stella though... He's obviously got some technical ability, but I just don't think he's quick enough, in thought or action and he doesn't have the bulk to make up for it and buy him the time.
It's a shame though, because he seems willing enough to work for it.

soccer mad

I start with new coach and go from there. This team can play but need serious direction and discipline. That with a mix of experience to lead on the pitch we would be mid table competitive.

Rowdy

Personally, I'd be letting 24yo Stella go.

I thought his signing in the Jan transfer window was an odd one to say the least. He didn't impress me way back when he was at Victory. He signed a two-and-a-half year deal in Jan 2013 with Melbourne Victory after impressing Postecoglou, becoming their third signing of the summer, along with Jesse Makarounas and Scott Galloway.

Stella spent the majority of the 2013–14 season in the National Youth League, scoring eight goals. They released him after just 1.5yr into a 2.5 yr deal in July 2014. He only made just seven appearances during his time at the Victory.

Moved on to the Thai league next
- 4 games there & then back to the NPL in Vic with Avondale - 10 games there.

THEN CAME TO US.

So from July 2014 (released fr MVIC) .......
to Jan 2016 (when CCM signed him)
- He ONLY played a total of 14 games in 18mnths !!!

Which goes a long way in my mind as to why he hasn't really developed much from what I saw when at MVIC. By comparison 20yo Makarounas & 21yo Galloway are still at Melb.Victory and they're both getting 1st team football regularly.

Stella looks the same to me, just 2 years later & older. :-|

There has to be better out there in the NPL's for mind.

Blake Powell, also 24yo, at Wellington Phoenix is a good example. Sure he's a striker/ anywhere in a front 3 player - compared to Stella @ AM or also wide in a front 3
BUTTTT !!!
Powell and Stella are both getting paid the same money .............. minimum wage.

Powell, who came from Apia Leichhardt in the NSW NPL has made 20 appearances for the Nix this year. 11 of them starting (of those 11- 6 times subbed), & came of the bench for the remaining 9 games.

Hes scored 8 goals thus far. (4 in ONE GAME! against top of the table WSW)

That's fcuk'n awesome value for money, the same money were paying to a player the calibre of Stella.

Powell's 12 mnth deal is up at the end of the season & I'm sure Merrick will be clamouring for his signature, as will others.

Likewise, would other clubs be interested in Stella ??? That's the litmus test.

I think we can find better ;)

Last edited:

JoyfulPenguin

I thought his signing in the Jan transfer window was an odd one to say the least. He didn't impress me way back when he was at Victory. He signed a two-and-a-half year deal in Jan 2013 with Melbourne Victory after impressing Postecoglou, becoming their third signing of the summer, along with Jesse Makarounas and Scott Galloway.

Stella spent the majority of the 2013–14 season in the National Youth League, scoring eight goals. They released him after just 1.5yr into a 2.5 yr deal in July 2014. He only made just seven appearances during his time at the Victory.

THEN CAME TO US.

Which goes a long way in my mind as to why he hasn't really developed much from what I saw when at MVIC. By comparison 20yo Makarounas & 21yo Galloway are still at Melb.Victory and they're both getting 1st team football regularly.

Blake Powell, also 24yo, at Wellington Phoenix is a good example. Sure he's a striker/ anywhere in a front 3 player - compared to Stella @ AM or also wide in a front 3
BUTTTT !!!
Powell and Stella are both getting paid the same money .............. minimum wage.

Powell, who came from Apia Leichhardt in the NSW NPL has made 20 appearances for the Nix this year. 11 of them starting (of those 11- 6 times subbed), & came of the bench for the remaining 9 games.

That's fcuk'n awesome value for money, the same money were paying to a player the calibre of Stella.

Powell's 12 mnth deal is up at the end of the season & I'm sure Merrick will be clamouring for his signature, as will others.

I personally don't think Stella is HAL standard but he's pretty damn close and I think he could be at the very least a good squad player if not much more. I think he should start the last few games to see if he can be a good creative outlet for us because that's very rare in Australian players. As Rowdy points out that before coming to us he had only played 14 games in 18 months which means he's not at full fitness and also hasn't had the chance to fully develop. I think it wouldn't be too bad of a move to give him a minimum wage one year deal or even a six month deal.

soccer mad

THEN CAME TO US.

BUTTTT !!!

Powel has done well because gets good delivery in midfield, plus wellington are a decent side and have good coach

Rowdy

I wouldnt be wasting an odd $60k of minimum wage just to have another look at Stella.

Every dollar'$ gonna have to count next season, and that means a return on investment. We cant be making decisions like the one that was made with Heffernan - sign them for a Season then after very little game time come to the conclusion that "your surplus to requirements" & hope they move on

............. because like Heff, they dont ALL move-on & CCM still have to keep paying them. As well as the Sim's, Bosnar's & Reddy's that get half wages.

I pointed out Stella's lack of game time more so to his quality rather than his fitness. TW stated when he signed him in Jan that "Stella had been training with the squad in the months beforehand, helping him to make up his mind", so at 24yo I dont think it's his fitness that's at issue.

Compare this;

● Stella (24yo) only managed to be selected for 4 games in the Thai League

● Adriano Pellegrino (31yo), a former Mariner cut 3 yrs ago & who was primarily a squaddie / off the bench player - has just clocked up 41 appearances for the Udon Noodle's in the same 'Lady-Boy League' since Jan 2015 ....... the same time that Stella signed with his Thai club.

Peller's, at 7 yrs his senior can cut-it over there in a 3rd rate League.
......... Stella couldn't.

Stella - as you suggest, even on a 6 mnth deal in the A-League for a looky isnt worth the gamble.

Try him in the NPL2 first imo, if he's eligible. Then and only then make a decision for another season in the A-League.

nebakke

I think that might be a bit harsh Rowdy - bearing in mind that you can't fully compare the performance of two different players across two different clubs, even if the same league. Stella's club may have just happened to have someone better in his position than Pellegrino's did in his...

From what I've seen of him, I think he's of "A-league standard"... But that's all, he's a fairly standard A-league player, he's got strengths and weaknesses but on current evidence, doesn't look like he'll ever turn into a Mooy or Rogic.
But we do need cheaper players to make up the difference. We do need squaddies and I don't think he's too poor as a squaddie I guess. The technique can make a bit of a difference and if he can bulk up a bit, he might prove more useful, so thinking about it, I'm probably with "Soccer Mad"... Sign him on a minimum-wage-type contract.
The core of it, I think, is don't sign him as our starting #10 and, if his contract is going to take away a contract from someone that'd come into the starting lineup, don't sign him at all.
But currently I'm almost thinking that we need squaddies more than starting players.... Don't get me wrong, we clearly need some starting players - as has already been discussed - but I still think we have a team which could be quite competitive with the right 2/3 players inserted into it.
That means that we'll still have what? 3/4 places to fill on the roster - which could mean that we'd have useful space for someone like Stella.

midfielder

My understanding is an A-League squad is 23 players we have 17 signed after this year meaning we have 6 available places.

Expiring contracts (5) from PJ's original post

Bray
Uskok
Stella
Garcia
Heffernan

If we keep Bray which seems what everyone wants we are left with needing five new players.

The question becomes what sort of player are we after and in what positions and what kind of money is there.

Back a while someone posted they through our wages to our current on the coast squad was 1.8 million with other monies going to other clubs. Ignoring Garcia lets assume the other 4 players are on 50K each meaning our contracted players are 1.6 million.

Hand on heart getting the best maybe difficult because of how TW is viewed ... assuming we can overcome this IMO we need 5 senior players who can help[ lead the team around the park and we have 900K to spend.

IMO we need one very experienced Centre Back and a ball playing DM to help Liam Rose

Right and left full back positions could be stronger.

Buhagiar & Berry maybe keep in the youth squad if we can.

No idea what a Wilko would cost or Holman would cost but more than anything else we need players of certain mindset... maybe its time we looked to the Spanish second division like others have done.

We are in a salary capped league we should be able to compete as for the 5 on expiring contracts only Bray seems to fit the bill and this based on a couple of games... all the others fall outside the experience and quality we are looking for.

Rowdy

My understanding is an A-League squad is 23 players we have 17 signed after this year meaning we have 6 available places.

Middy, it's a squad of 26 players - has been for quite a few years now. Just that we've been to 'povo' to fill the max allowable. ;)

Minimum squad size allowed is 20 players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb