• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

Rowdy

It's a fair call to keep him and give him the resources to get the job done, to be fair probably knew from Day 1 he was in for the year from hell.

Our very own 'Annus Horribillis'

images-16_zpscnnpqudm.jpg

Reactions: adz

Gratis

I think that there will be a point in the coming season where a decision will be made.

If things haven't improved then I think MC, PS and TW will decide for TW to move back to the TD when a suitable replacement can be found. If things have improved then the status quo may well remain. I would not expect to hear anything official from the club until a deal was done.

That said - I'm hoping/expecting that with an improved squads will come improved results and we will look back in 10 years and give thanks as we pass through the Tony Walmsley gates at the stadium. ;)
This is my expectation/hope too

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Storrie , the other day in the Kendall, said his put in a bid for "an experienced" centre back and is waiting for a response...we hit him up for more specifics BUT....nada, fair enough I suppose

adz

Staff member
I think at the start of the season we were slightly optimistic - but not overly, considering all the talk was "entertainment, not results", probably expected to lose a lot, but also expected the team to put in an effort to play some sort of entertaining style of football.

So then mid-season it became clear we weren't getting anywhere and had the January clean-out, rather than at the end of the season. Clear the decks and start prepping for next season.
The good part here was the Garcia revelation. He might not be doing much on the pitch, but it made MC see that we can have a marquee player without having to dip too heavily into his own pockets, as there are sponsors out there willing to shell out for a big-name player. Also shows the fans want more from the club and we DO need marquee players on the Coast, and it will be part of the strategy moving forward. Expect someone who can deliver more on-field next time!

So after this season we can say that we spent WAY below everyone else, but also maybe not - when you factor in the number of players getting paid who have left the club or are not playing for whatever reason. Put this down to bad signings in the past, bad contract extension deals, whatever. Club has said we are able to spend much more next season, looking for some more experienced players - this with the January cleanout, there will be no excuses next season for TW.

:shoutclap: <<<---- happy clapper

Gratis

It's a fair call to keep him and give him the resources to get the job done, to be fair probably knew from Day 1 he was in for the year from hell.
Definitely, he took one on the chin career-wise (this would kill off most coaches) and he needs a fair go to truly judge his coaching ability.

With a fair go next season I'll be happy to make an assessment but feel he's at the very least earned himself that much by stepping into the firing line knowing full well it was going to be rough. Turned out to be very rough

FFC Mariner

I think at the start of the season we were slightly optimistic - but not overly, considering all the talk was "entertainment, not results", probably expected to lose a lot, but also expected the team to put in an effort to play some sort of entertaining style of football.

So then mid-season it became clear we weren't getting anywhere and had the January clean-out, rather than at the end of the season. Clear the decks and start prepping for next season.
The good part here was the Garcia revelation. He might not be doing much on the pitch, but it made MC see that we can have a marquee player without having to dip too heavily into his own pockets, as there are sponsors out there willing to shell out for a big-name player. Also shows the fans want more from the club and we DO need marquee players on the Coast, and it will be part of the strategy moving forward. Expect someone who can deliver more on-field next time!

So after this season we can say that we spent WAY below everyone else, but also maybe not - when you factor in the number of players getting paid who have left the club or are not playing for whatever reason. Put this down to bad signings in the past, bad contract extension deals, whatever. Club has said we are able to spend much more next season, looking for some more experienced players - this with the January cleanout, there will be no excuses next season for TW.

:shoutclap: <<<---- happy clapper

If that happens then it puts Walmsley in a tricky position. He will be answerable for the results and if he continues to underperform moving "upstairs" may disappear as an option.

Big call if we are bottom after 6/10 rounds to "Promote" someone.

Does he jump in the off season to avoid the accountability?

Does he try to atone for this season.

I will happily allow him to deliver a big "f**k you" if we start to perform with heart and to our potential.

adz

Staff member
If that happens then it puts Walmsley in a tricky position. He will be answerable for the results and if he continues to underperform moving "upstairs" may disappear as an option.

Big call if we are bottom after 6/10 rounds to "Promote" someone.

Yup and I'm not even sure what a Technical Director means, exactly. This page in Wikipedia doesn't clear it up at all.
Seems like they advise the coach/manager; so in this case if all the signings are who TW wants, style of play, whatever other decisions, and they still get shocking results - what kind of advice would he give to some replacement coach? How to be shit?

Bit of a head scratcher...

soccer mad

Im still not convinced that TW should be coach next season, if the team made vast improvement this season I'd be happy to share the vision for coming season ahead, but the Sydney game was agood parameter as to where we are for about 80min of the game Sydney were in cruise control until they brain snapped . We were so excited because we have been starved of good football all season. If Saturday's result had remained at 2 nil TW should walk he is not aleague standard and as for Rudan not a chance, state league coaches are no different to the players way behind the eight ball

nebakke

Im still not convinced that TW should be coach next season, if the team made vast improvement this season I'd be happy to share the vision for coming season ahead, but the Sydney game was agood parameter as to where we are for about 80min of the game Sydney were in cruise control until they brain snapped . We were so excited because we have been starved of good football all season. If Saturday's result had remained at 2 nil TW should walk he is not aleague standard and as for Rudan not a chance, state league coaches are no different to the players way behind the eight ball

I think you have to be really careful with how much you read into the games for the rest of the season tbh... I think it was clear that the confidence was shot even before kick-off... I also think that's one of the reasons why they responded so well to the goal that was allowed... Would've been really interesting to see how we'd have gone if we hadn't gotten shafted on that first goal I think.

But at the core, I think morale is such that the only thing to clear it is an off-season, a bit of a cool-down and relax, then some pre-season training and a bit of stability in the squad.
I've said it before but I feel like there actually has been quite a bit of improvement over the season - if I try to look past the obvious lack of confidence.

For starters, I thought Posco was a prospect at the start of the season, where I see him as a starter now.
Neill was really struggling in defence at the beginning of the season, he's starting to look a lot more stable there.
Ascroft again, had some promise - I think he's looked much-improved as a MF since the City home game.
Rose-the-younger has gained a lot in confidence... There's still quite a bit of work to be done there but, I remember watching one of the early games this season - and even commenting on here - feeling that he looked well nervous... Tended to hoof the ball away as soon as it got to him, to avoid getting manhandled... The manhandling clearly still annoys him, but he doesn't look as scared.
Actually - now that I'm thinking of it, Bingham falls in my much-improved category too... I know he came highly rated, but I didn't see much of anything in him until he started getting more time this season (obviously ;) ).

I think there's more but I actually only meant for it to be a short list of examples - it just developed into a longer list as I started thinking about it ;)
Suffice to say that, obviously, I think there's been quite a bit more improvement than we realise... It's just gotten bogged down between confidence issues, age, rumoured disciplin issues (Bosnar, Reddy, Caceres, Fitzy, Sim etc. etc.), inexperience etc.

But it's really the confidence thing that has me looking towards another season with a bit of hope... I'm on the "give-'im-till-Chrissy" bandwagon at this point.

pjennings

I would keep them all apart from Heff, who i quite like but is obviously going. Kalik by the sign of things has gone already. Uskok has shown more than enough to be retained. With Heff and Kalik gone we have 20 spots tied up, and it is not an expensive squad. If Luis can be resigned for a reasonable fee, his experience will be invaluable to the kids and with a full pre-season he will get better. That leaves 4 or 5 signings and i guess there will be 2 or 3 of kids (Trent/Berry/Adelson?), add Wilko, Hersi and Finkler and we are looking competitive again.

Its being reported that Finkler is considering a contract from Wellington

Rowdy

Its being reported that Finkler is considering a contract from Wellington

Dumb move for him imo

Up against Roly Bonavecia and McGlinchey in the attacking /creative midfielder position.

Would own that position if he signed with us ;)

banarama

Im wondering if the mariners will be completely dumping the sabremertics-moneyball approach to recruiting going forward?

dibo

Why would we?

Sabermetrics is about making optimal use of a given amount of money.

It can't get you out of underperforming because you haven't spent enough money.

Sabermetrics won't (or shouldn't) be blamed for our shithouse season.

nebakke

Again - if we bear in mind that we've also been wasting seemingly large amounts on players that aren't actually playing for us this season, I'm not sure that the moneyball/sabermetrics view can be blamed entirely either.

Blackadder

Storrie , the other day in the Kendall, said his put in a bid for "an experienced" centre back and is waiting for a response...we hit him up for more specifics BUT....nada, fair enough I suppose

Could be relating to the earlier report from MarinerMick that they are chasing Wilkinson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred