• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

Forum Phoenix

Thought he consistently monstered our wingers and won a lot of duels aerially. But have not really followed his performances against other sides.

JoyfulPenguin

Thought he consistently monstered our wingers and won a lot of duels aerially. But have not really followed his performances against other sides.
Was his best game by far against us, I've watched 95% of Wellington's games and against good dribblers he is immediately exposed. Doesn't overlap well either and can't cross.

Luca Brasi

Jacob Tratt has been released from the Nix to return home to Sydney on compassionate grounds.
Any thoughts ?
From what I saw of the Phoenix I thought he was a solid NPL pick up. His stats (interceptions, tackles, duels, aerial duels, passing) compare pretty favourably to Storm with the exception of the crossing. With his height I wonder why he wasn't utilised as a centre back.

yorkshireman

Spoke to Monty the other week and to a few others and it appears that discussions are taking place with key members. I, like everyone else am getting a bit fed up with the old "TV rights" crap (whole heartedly agree with what was said on the ramble yesterday) BUT am hopeful that certain senior players are not on the scrap heap as yet. I think Roy will go as he has a young family to think about and if the reported $300k extra pay is correct then he'd be stupid not to go. That said, he has commented about stability so can't see him going to the Jests. (Brisbane is more likely I think although questionable stability there). Fab to WSW is dubious I think so am hopeful that we can resign however, I think the discussions could be interesting if what Mossy claimed is true and that his salary broke the bank when we signed him.
As far as Strikers go... I'm not certain Paolo will hunt anyone out as such as he has just resigned Bingham and has Powell as well. I think he may focus his spending on 2 recognised and experienced CB's. It's good to see that Shaun has addressed the situation (all be it with the standard lines) and I think that it is mostly on the level and we are dealing with it but are holding off announcing resignings until they can finalise pay values.

Hopefully this is all a storm in a teacup and we'll see the experience, heart and grit remain from this year with the loss of some deadwood and a few important signings. Fingers crossed.

pjennings

It's good to see that Shaun has addressed the situation (all be it with the standard lines) and I think that it is mostly on the level and we are dealing with it but are holding off announcing resignings until they can finalise pay values.

This post pre-supposes that we will in future spend the cap. Radical idea I know!!

The main take out I got from Shaun on the podcast and before was the old "TV rights" crap does have a real effect - especially in a salary-capped league. So far we have re-signed (or announced) squad members that would be relatively cheap and/or those on one year deals. If we are going to buy 'quality' visa players on which to build a squad around. The club knows next years 'interim' salary cap but has know idea if there is going to be a big bump in the following year.

An increase in the salary cap should not lead to a commensurate increase in each player's wages. What it should mean is that those deserve a raise can get it - but more importantly it enables more flexibility in increasing the quality of visa players you can attract. Knowing the affect of the TV deal on following seasons allows the club to not only attract higher quality visa players but also to lock them into multi-year deals.

Monty and Roy are different cases. Roy is younger and will be after a multi-year contract. Monty on the other hand, given his age, and in spite of his fitness and durability, will probably be a year by year discussion. I can see no reason that Monty cannot be offered a new contract now (with a clause allowing for an increase if this years cap is raised and/or any other stipulations).

The visa players and senior players such as Monty are the quality you need to form the base of the squad. Get them locked in and the rest I would think is relatively easy. (Easy for me to say at least)

I hope Monty and Roy both stay but I would not be surprised if that is not the case.

VicMariner

I was underwhelmed with Ferreira this season, but looking at his stats he is our second best scorer by a long shot. Well worth keeping unless we open the check book.

Big Al

Fab to stay would need to go back to RW, while he was effective a real #10 is a must over him.
Fab was horrible as RW early in the season but there was clearly something wrong.

He would be good cover for a #10 as well.

Fab will be our Casettlan. Frustrating as shit when playing badly, absolutely better than most when on fire and can really electrify a crowd. An X factor player. If you don't replace them properly then they will be more appreciated.

Some very casuals were sitting behind me on Sunday. He said I only know 1 or two players, he was referencing he knew Monty and then said or yeah and Fab. Those two apart from being of the standard required are also crowd favourites.

Big Al

Also there is a bit of pressure to spend the cap and some frustration as it being used as an excuse.

Remember they don't know what the cap is, so can't commit to spending something they don't know what it is. Also they are banking on an increased grant from the FFA to spend.

I think the frustration should be directed to the incapable FFA not the club who are being responsible. I know we won't to know everything today but some of it is the offseason fun.

We've been run poorly so to long, know is the turning up of the spend but it's not from low to high immediately.

Timmah

I think the frustration should be directed to the incapable FFA not the club who are being responsible. I know we won't to know everything today but some of it is the offseason fun.

THIS. The club got roundly slammed last off-season (admittedly when TW was in charge) for jumping at Faty & Tavares way too early when other options were to pop on the market.

Many have short memories.

Atomic

Fab will be our Casettlan. Frustrating as shit when playing badly, absolutely better than most when on fire and can really electrify a crowd. An X factor player. If you don't replace them properly then they will be more appreciated.

Some very casuals were sitting behind me on Sunday. He said I only know 1 or two players, he was referencing he knew Monty and then said or yeah and Fab. Those two apart from being of the standard required are also crowd favourites.
I thought you were talking about Kwassie there for a moment.

Big Al

We are 3 quality players off being competitive (provided Roy stays with these 3 position he would and some cash)

A true experienced CB
A DM
And a AM

Wilkinson Taveras Martinez with Roy and bang we are in the mix (obviously not happening but just showing what is required to make us take the step up. Then a better goalie than Ivan (doesn't need to be as good as the 3 spots I just mentioned but next level down.

We need 3/4 top quality experienced players, the rest showed they will be good with that around them

Coastalraider

We are 3 quality players off being competitive (provided Roy stays with these 3 position he would and some cash)

A true experienced CB
A DM
And a AM

Wilkinson Taveras Martinez with Roy and bang we are in the mix (obviously not happening but just showing what is required to make us take the step up. Then a better goalie than Ivan (doesn't need to be as good as the 3 spots I just mentioned but next level down.

We need 3/4 top quality experienced players, the rest showed they will be good with that around them

I agree with you to a point, but if we lose Roy and Monty, we are after 5 experienced players, with only a squad of junior to attract them to the club. That is a very different proposition.

FFC Mariner

Faty, Tavares, Monty, Fab and Roy would free up (I guesstimate) about $1m of cap.

Now, can we find 5 players who will play 20 games at their level for that money?

Probably not. Monty, Fab and Roy stay fit and are known quantities, sign them and replace the cousins with quality on 2 year deals.

Replace the other 3 the year after.

Wombat

THIS. The club got roundly slammed last off-season (admittedly when TW was in charge) for jumping at Faty & Tavares way too early when other options were to pop on the market.

The club bought them because THEY WERE CHEAP. Thats why we jumped.

Wombat

We need a quality keeper. (1)
We need at two international quality CB. (3)
Presume Adelson is fit and can force Storm to focus so no RB needed.
I would like a quality DM to partner Monty (or we could switch to 442 and only have 1 DM) but suspect Paul was persevere with Rose/Berry. (4)
We desperately need #10. We cannot compete without one. (5)
I'm happy with our wingers.

So really we only need 5 new players to compete. More if we want to achieve something.

Big Al

We need a quality keeper. (1)
We need at two international quality CB. (3)
Presume Adelson is fit and can force Storm to focus so no RB needed.
I would like a quality DM to partner Monty (or we could switch to 442 and only have 1 DM) but suspect Paul was persevere with Rose/Berry. (4)
We desperately need #10. We cannot compete without one. (5)
I'm happy with our wingers.

So really we only need 5 new players to compete. More if we want to achieve something.
Think we can get away with one experienced CB considering we are cheap. One of Patty Z class could work with Rose or Posco beside them with the other the backup for injury and suspension with Ashcroft to wash their uniforms

bikinigirl

. i'm not quite sure of your point here ... it's almost as if you are defending the club against an accusation that hasn't really been leveled at the club

. the only criticism i have seen is about not signing Monty ... actually about not having a meaningful conversation with the club's captain/stalwart/legend before the end of the season in which his contract expires

. to me this is completely separate to the salary cap/grant issue (which certainly applies in the case of Roy for example)

. maybe i am over-simplifying things but:
  • the cap will not be going down
  • the grant will not be going down
  • as a consequence we will have to spend more than we did this year
  • i'd be surprised is Monty wanted more money
  • is he valued by the Club significantly less than what he was paid this year
  • Monty pushed through his citizenship for the Club
. which brings us back to Monty's mum comment ... and therefore the questioning of the Club

. the rest of it ... it's all the FFA's fault*

* generalisation for dramatic effect

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred