• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

Wombat

He isn't really. Clearly a good bloke and a better keeper than Trott and the same level as Pasfield. Better than Pearce atm but we need more imho.

nebakke

the same level as Pasfield. Better than Pearce atm but we need more imho.

Holy shit! I think dementia is getting to you old man. Necevski is far from the best keeper in the league but he's miles ahead of Pasfield... Pasfield in goals tended to immediately convert our championship-winning defense into a nervy shambles.

Timmah

. i'm not quite sure of your point here ... it's almost as if you are defending the club against an accusation that hasn't really been leveled at the club

. the only criticism i have seen is about not signing Monty ... actually about not having a meaningful conversation with the club's captain/stalwart/legend before the end of the season in which his contract expires

. to me this is completely separate to the salary cap/grant issue (which certainly applies in the case of Roy for example)

. maybe i am over-simplifying things but:
  • the cap will not be going down
  • the grant will not be going down
  • as a consequence we will have to spend more than we did this year
  • i'd be surprised is Monty wanted more money
  • is he valued by the Club significantly less than what he was paid this year
  • Monty pushed through his citizenship for the Club
. which brings us back to Monty's mum comment ... and therefore the questioning of the Club

. the rest of it ... it's all the FFA's fault*

* generalisation for dramatic effect
If you haven't seen the accusation of "not re-signing players and signing new players for next season" leveled at the club I don't know what you're looking at, it's been levelled everywhere. The attitude seems to be "now now now" instead of letting the club do its due diligence.

Criticism about Monty not being signed is probably justified but if he's not in Okon's plans - that's the way it is. We thank him for everything he's done for the club and we look to a replacement. If he is and that decision is still to be made then, that time will come.

For what it's worth I think you might well be over-simplifying it - none of us know what the conversations between the club and Monty/his manager are specifically.

Honestly? I think he deserves another season with us personally, but it's not the end of the world if he moves on.

bikinigirl

If you haven't seen the accusation of "not re-signing players and signing new players for next season" leveled at the club I don't know what you're looking at, it's been levelled everywhere. The attitude seems to be "now now now" instead of letting the club do its due diligence.

. sorry, i haven't been looking everywhere ... i come here for my information and discussion - and here, where i posted, i have not seen this "now now now" demand

For what it's worth I think you might well be over-simplifying it - none of us know what the conversations between the club and Monty/his manager are specifically.

. of course i was over-simplifying ... it was done to make a point *

. and i stated i was over-simplifying in the vain attempt to stop people posting in reply ... 'you have over simplified things there, none of us know what the conversations between Monty and the Club, etc, etc.' :p

* if i have to spell it out: the only reason that i can see for not signing Monty by now is that the Club doesn't want him

Wombat

Holy shit! I think dementia is getting to you old man. Necevski is far from the best keeper in the league but he's miles ahead of Pasfield... Pasfield in goals tended to immediately convert our championship-winning defense into a nervy shambles.

Really. How many goals has he conceeded this season per game?
Are you the same person who thought he should be the starting keeper?
If so you really should be quiet.
Maybe turn off the keyboard before you type next time young whipper-snapper.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/04/13/gutted-necevski-convinced-mariners-poised-dump-him

Ivan pissed he was not picked to play against Jets, he thinks that means he is not wanted
I think it makes sense to be minimising risks for this match, given that a draw or heaven forbid - win - would keep us safe from the wooden spoon. Which means playing the best keeper. This isn't quite a nothing match that you can basically treat like a meaningless preseason game.

pjennings

Izzo needs to be the keeper for the Victory game, he is definitely the better keeper this season. What Ivan seemed to miffed about was not even being in the squad with Pearce on the bench. He read this as he is on the way out - I would too.

With Pearce already signed the main keeper has to be top drawer which Ivan isn't. If we go with 3 keepers we know what he can provide as a second keeper.

FFC Mariner

Criticism about Monty not being signed is probably justified but if he's not in Okon's plans - that's the way it is. We thank him for everything he's done for the club and we look to a replacement. If he is and that decision is still to be made then, that time will come.

Honestly? I think he deserves another season with us personally, but it's not the end of the world if he moves on.

Shaun was quite clear - there have been no conversations with Monty or his agent

nebakke

Really. How many goals has he conceeded this season per game?
Are you the same person who thought he should be the starting keeper?

Well at least you're not oversimplifying the case around conceding goals :piralaugh::santa:
Or are you saying that the defenses in front of Pasfield and Necevski are on par?
I think Izzo's been great this season - with the occasional mark against him.
I think Necevski has been serviceable and with what's currently on the market i wouldn't be too frustrated if we keep him a part of a strategy building up someone like Pearce. I wouldn't mind seeing Bray return either - I think. But i don't recall making much of a statement on Necevski as a targeted starter beyond this sort of thing.
I DID seem to anger you with a suggestion that mcGing might be a parable option in CDM next season - maybe you got them mixed up?

Are you seriously saying that you wouldn't feel less comfortable with Pasfield in goal than you do with Necevski there?

Wombat

Well at least you're not oversimplifying the case around conceding goals :piralaugh::santa:
Or are you saying that the defenses in front of Pasfield and Necevski are on par?
I think Izzo's been great this season - with the occasional mark against him.
I think Necevski has been serviceable and with what's currently on the market i wouldn't be too frustrated if we keep him a part of a strategy building up someone like Pearce. I wouldn't mind seeing Bray return either - I think. But i don't recall making much of a statement on Necevski as a targeted starter beyond this sort of thing.
I DID seem to anger you with a suggestion that mcGing might be a parable option in CDM next season - maybe you got them mixed up?

Are you seriously saying that you wouldn't feel less comfortable with Pasfield in goal than you do with Necevski there?

For me Ivan and Pasfield are EXACTLY the same. You dont want to see them play but if they come in due to an injury, you hope for the best.
Bray and kennedy are both better than Ivan but we need a real starting 11 keeper next season.
You didn't anger me with your McGing suggestion......................but you are misguided. Tries hard but has the composure of an 8yo.
God I hope he proves me wrong tonight coz he is starting at CB. I'm not holding my breath.

Big Al

On fox sports six of that line up unsigned
Little birdy told me scott Galloway will be back the rest we will find out more in a week or so.

Sounds like the others we will find they are leaving next week. Thats how i hear it.
That includes Roy and Monty
We know Izzo is gone
Fab we think gone
Appiah would be the 6th

Manny_ccm

Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon has confirmed that striker Roy O’Donovan will not be in yellow next season.
O’Donovan has been tipped to join rivals Newcastle Jets, and while a solemn Okon could not say which club, he confirmed the Irishman was headed for the exit.

Mariners fell 1-0 to Melbourne Victory away on Friday night in a spirited loss to a Championship favourite.

ImageResizer.ashx

Gallery: Victory v Mariners pic special

“I think it’s already signed, sealed and delivered unfortunately,” Okon said of O'Donovan who scored 11 goals this season.

“We wish Roy well, he’s been great value for us, a goalscorer, and whichever team has him next season are very lucky.”

Okon would not reveal if any other players were moving on but opened up about his experience of transfer speculation in his first A-League season.

“I’m a bit old school, I can’t get my head around when you hear with 10 rounds to go a player signed here and there,” he said.

“I know it’s inevitable, people want to secure their futures and for me it’s a bit of a new experience. Working in national teams you don’t have to deal with that sort of stuff.

“That’ll all be decided now… It’s out there in the press, players that have chosen to go to other clubs and we wish them well.

“The ones that are under contract, aren’t committed elsewhere and we haven’t signed yet - those discussions will take place now and the tough decisions will be made purely on what’s best for the football club, that’s what we do in the coming days.”

Pics by Getty Images

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/okon-confirms-odonovan-exit-458372

bikinigirl

“I’m a bit old school, I can’t get my head around when you hear with 10 rounds to go a player signed here and there,” he said.

“I know it’s inevitable, people want to secure their futures and for me it’s a bit of a new experience. Working in national teams you don’t have to deal with that sort of stuff.

. demonstrates his inexperience - but naivety is a more accurate description ... if true

“That’ll all be decided now… It’s out there in the press, players that have chosen to go to other clubs and we wish them well.

“The ones that are under contract, aren’t committed elsewhere and we haven’t signed yet - those discussions will take place now and the tough decisions will be made purely on what’s best for the football club, that’s what we do in the coming days.”

. to a certain extent this flies in the face of what was explained at the fan forum ... that they were having discussions with the players that they (and they also thought the fans) wanted to stay - way back then

. to an extent it also discredits the whole 'we can't do anything until we know the salary cap' nonsense. yes i am suspicious ... but i hope what they think is 'best for the football club' also considers that the fans (and their desires) are a big part of what is best for the football club at this critical time

Fishsdad

. to a certain extent this flies in the face of what was explained at the fan forum ... that they were having discussions with the players that they (and they also thought the fans) wanted to stay - way back then
To an extent it also discredits the whole 'we can't do anything until we know the salary cap' nonsense. yes i am suspicious

My mail is that the club had extensive talks with Roy/Roy's Manager, and put down a firm offer, However Newcastle's offer was too good to refuse.
If so, the club made genuine attempts to secure him. In the end Roy chose to chase the $'s, this happens in football.

I'm much more concerned about how Monty is being treated.

nebakke

Can we take Morten Nordstrand in a return swap then? For mine that'd be fairly like for like. Then play Bingers as a sub earlier in the second.

Luca Brasi

For Okon to admit this in a media release does not offer any reassurance that our recruiting for next season will be up to scratch. I agree with BG.
I agree with you to a point, but if we lose Roy and Monty, we are after 5 experienced players, with only a squad of junior to attract them to the club. That is a very different proposition.
This. Our reputation, our ladder finish for the last few years, our limited financial capacity and the attraction of the squad of players assembled will make recruiting more difficult.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred