• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

midfielder

A huge opportunity for Paul to shape the squad the way or wants to.

Contracts that I would extend

Izzo, Galloway, Poscoliero, Adelson, Montgomery, O'Donovan, Bingham

Contract that I would not renew

Necesvski, Neill, Faty, Roux, Tavares, Ferriera, Appiah-Kubi

Squad to build on

Izzo, Galloway, Ascroft, Rose, Poscoliero, Adelson, McGing, Montgomery, Berry, Pain, O'Donovan, Bingham, Powell,Buhagiar

Needed

GK, LB, 2 CB, DM, 2 CAM, 1 LW, 1 CS/RW

Experience need for 1 CB, 1 CAM, DM . The LW and RW need to be at least as good as Trent and Connor. Roy with good service from the wings and from a quality CAM would be a revelation.

Aside from getting the left / right back arse about I agree.. aside from on your resigns McGling is 50 50 with me as is Ashcroft..

Issue is money ... a young lady told me money is still beyond tight ... and that we could struggle to sign who we want ..

As I see it, Izzo, Rose, Poso, O'Donavan are a must if we are serious,

dibo

Dibo,
Look at how scared people are to give an opinion in the Scum thread! Its not easy for people to stick their heads up and say what they think.
I see plenty of opinions in there. They don't all agree with you though, so I can see where the confusion is.

Tevor

For Trent, Pain and Galloway this is their first season essentially playing week in week out they were just bench players or in Trent's case going to school. These three will be so much better and more consistent next season with this year under their belt. As we are seeing with Trent now the rigours of playing consistently has fatigued him greatly. Tend to agree with McGing, second year of HAL so he should be better and not sure he can improve much more. Wouldn't be surprised if we keep him though and I wouldn't be greatly disappointed.

I will really enjoy the long boring break this year to see what Okon can put in place. I for one am not expecting a huge clean out because of cash constraints. Also not expecting we purchase a heap of new more experienced players, maybe just one or two if we are lucky. Suspect there maybe the odd interesting young inexperienced player in there as well.

Suspect next years target is to make or again compete for a top 6 spot and improve on this year. Whilst it would be nice to think we would have ambitions to win the championship, I would be happy with another year of measured improvement.

pjennings

Nailed it, agree with everyone except Neill he absolutely must go and you missed Berry who I like

Only problem is that a lot have contracts.
Aside from getting the left / right back arse about I agree.. aside from on your resigns McGling is 50 50 with me as is Ashcroft..

Issue is money ... a young lady told me money is still beyond tight ... and that we could struggle to sign who we want ..

As I see it, Izzo, Rose, Poso, O'Donavan are a must if we are serious,

My squad is based on current contracts. We may convince some to move on but at this stage McGing and Ascroft are both contracted to the end of next season. As decent, relatively cheap squaddies and with 9 other spots available to mould the squad I can't see the point in trying to push them out.

nebakke

We've essentially got a couple of spots cleared up now as well yeah?

Fletcher and McDonald were both let go in Jan, Faty and Tavares are both being released, we currenly have 21 players which means we know for sure that we'll be down to 19 at the end of this season, two of which came from definite starters.
I wouldn't be surprised if we kept both Mcging tbh... Both are serviceable as squaddies as least, but based on who's been playing and who hasn't, I'm guessing Ascroft is out...
From where I'm sitting, if we were to maximise our investments, so-to-speak, I think I'd find a decent #10 and let Fab go - then hold on to Appiah-Kubi as a backup for Trent, largely because I think Fabio is more-or-less past it as that pacey winger and I do see some improvement potential in A-K.
Core problem becomes what happens with our forwards... I'd hold on to Bingham and probably let Powell go, but perhaps the thing working against Bingham is that Powell is signed for another season, so if we have to let someone go, it'll be easier if it was him...

Still, if we assumed that we held on to both of them, it means that we'll be down to 18 players, so we'd have to sign at least two to reach the cap minimum and ideally 5 to put in a full compliment - that's with Neill still in the team as well by the way...
I don't see us doign a wholesale overhaul to be honest, even if MC is willing to post more money into it next year, I'd be surprised if it was that much... Still, if we were looking to sign 3-5 starting players, that's a pretty big overhaul of the team I reckon... Could give us a CB, CDM and CAM - plus a couple of spots for the usual NYL upgrades.

Big Al

Peterson gone to

Think one or two of those NYL guys will come in as well. Maybe Whyte and Papa (not sure of his name). They may not be age eligible or ready to see if can make next step

Wombat

Carrusca of Adelaide is very upset not to be playing in the ACL and you would assume Amor (thinks he is dispensable by not picking him) is looking to release him at the end of the season.
Quality player but is 33yo. Maybe a 1 year contract with a 2nd year option.
Would you like to see him in yellow?

Wombat

Peterson gone to

Think one or two of those NYL guys will come in as well. Maybe Whyte and Papa (not sure of his name). They may not be age eligible or ready to see if can make next step

Promoting Yoof players is not strengthening the squad.

dibo

We're going to promote some youth players because we'll have a squad of 23 and some of that will be cheap filler, as is the case for all clubs. Doesn't mean we don't upgrade starters.

scottmac

Suspended
Carrusca of Adelaide is very upset not to be playing in the ACL and you would assume Amor (thinks he is dispensable by not picking him) is looking to release him at the end of the season.
I think he would love to be at the middle of our 11. Our forward 3 would thrive wroth him there too. This is the type of player we need to move a few spots up the table along with some experience at cb.

nebakke

I've been trying to make my mind up on this since that was announced... Tbh I'm not quite sure... On one hand, when he's on he's very good and would be an excellent addition.. Add to that that the #10 doesn't necessarily have to be that fast, he probably has the potential to provide quality for another couple of years on the sort of approach that you're suggesting.
On the other hand, I fear that he might be a bit past it and I think that it's probably the single most important spot for us to improve in and picking him doesn't come without risk - so I guess it comes down to what else we might have an eye on... Wasn't the talk about the South American kid that we brought over, that we would have another look at him in the off-season, after he's played a bit of VPL as well?
Not that that's any less risk, but I guess if we looked at him and Carrusca to back each other up, it might give a good learning opportunity and provide some cover in case Carrusca gets injured or isn't up to it any more.

Tevor

One bad season out of many good ones for AU, injury is the big concern as he has really struggled to regain any resemblance of past years. Could be another Tavares unfortunately and wouldn't be too cheap. I would probably prefer BKH, apparently Muscat isn't playing him so he doesn't trigger an auto next year clause in his contract so suspect he will be changing colours next year and has less injury concerns. Could help with the attack and Roy distribution. Also we seem to be doing well out of Victory's unwanted.

Big Al

Why is Carrusca out of favour?
Amor didn't play him last year either then loss after loss had to throw him in and bang they went on to win it all and now not playing him again.

While quality and an upgrade on our zero #10's I think he would be a bad pick up. Absolutely another Taveras quality but not reliable.

Also players like Castro and Ninkovic are better and show what you need and are the new standard.

SFC 1st - Ninkovic
MV 2nd - Troisi
Glory 3rd - Castro

pjennings

We're going to promote some youth players because we'll have a squad of 23 and some of that will be cheap filler, as is the case for all clubs. Doesn't mean we don't upgrade starters.

Exactly - but we need the spine to be stronger. The non-starters need to be young with potential or underrated. They may or may not be from our NYL/NPL2 teams. Something like this with 4 new starters out of 8 or 9 new players

Keepers Izzo, Kennedy (underrated keeper - but has been out with an Achilles injury)

RB Poscoliero, Adelson

CB Experienced CB, Rose, Gallifuoco, Ascroft

LB Galloway/Backup LB that pushes Scott

HM Experienced HM, McGing

Box to Box Monty, Berry

CAM Experienced CAM, De Silva and/or Brimmer

LW Pain/Buhagiar

CS O'Donovan, /Bingham and/or CS (maybe Noice)

RW Ben Khalfallah/Powell

scottmac

Suspended
Kallfallah brings smarts but he's 36 next year. There is a reason he's not playing for victory now and they don't want him next year, would he add to our current squad? Yes. But not in the areas we seriously lack. You'd be picking between him and Pain/Ferraira for a spot and we can't afford the cash spent on that.
He's definitely not a 10 which someone above suggested he could be. Carusca would be awesome imo. We've got the wings filled now with who we've got. We don't need to spend there. We need to spend in the spine and it must be experience. New wingers and l&r backs, nah. CB, CAM is where we should spend and i wouldn't be upset if we got 2 or 3 "CCM big money" signings there and resigned current players and promoted youth to fill the rest.

Pirate Pete

I was listening to 96.3 at half time. Jake Adelson was on. Chat on his injury etc.
Not expected back soon. Then, " where do you see yourself in five years time"
Answer "overseas". He said he came back from overseas due to injuries, but
wants to head back to England. Sounds like he's with us to get over his injuries
then he's off. If he stays with us short term I hope they get a transfer fee.
I know he's young but he could be a bit more diplomatic, like "I'll come back from
injury first and see what happens".

They also seems to think Izzo to Adelaide was a done deal.

Big Al

I was listening to 96.3 at half time. Jake Adelson was on. Chat on his injury etc.
Not expected back soon. Then, " where do you see yourself in five years time"
Answer "overseas". He said he came back from overseas due to injuries, but
wants to head back to England. Sounds like he's with us to get over his injuries
then he's off. If he stays with us short term I hope they get a transfer fee.
I know he's young but he could be a bit more diplomatic, like "I'll come back from
injury first and see what happens".

They also seems to think Izzo to Adelaide was a done deal.
Interesting, maybe already told not wanted here due to those injuries as maybe we can't take a risk.
Here's hoping we can sell him on but came back due to injuries he sounds very injury prone
Izzo will be missed except on free kicks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred