• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - HAL 12 - 2016 - 2017

nebakke

So again - I think it's obvious that we have less money than most, if not all, of the other clubs... But I haven't seen any huge re-signings from any of the other clubs either... Right now it seems to mostly be what we've been doing, that is the Liam Roses and Trent Buhagiars and maybe the occasional Connor Pain and Scott Galloway of this world...

Victory just re-signed Jai Ingham, but James Troisi is still off contract at the end of this season... I'm sure they'd at least be negotiating with him for next season if it wasn't for the same considerations as we have.
Half of Sydney's starting lineup is in the same situation as well....

It's not like everyone around us is signing big names and we're just sitting here watching it at this point... Last year we rushed in and ended up with Faty & Tavares, so I'm fine with us biding our time a bit, as long as it isn't frustrating the players too much.

pjennings

So Monty our heart and soul doesn't have a contract offer, Paulo stated at the forum we've already signed the ones we want or something to that effect when pressed on his methods.

Is Monty actually out in the cold and have a few surprised Paulo as the season has progressed e.g. Roy, Monty and maybe even Fab lately.

Of all the players we have Monty gives every thing and is one of the few players the team has that has community appeal. Casuals actually know his name.

I'd be very pissed off if they don't offer him a contract. If he refuses one that's fine but at least give him one.

I think what he said was he was confident that they would resign the ones we want.

FFC Mariner

I don't really care about who we do or don't sign. As long as it's the coaches choice.
Do we honestly think we can't do better than Monty Roy or Izzo with a bit of cash? If they price themselves out of the club they can go.
Everyone has a value, ask for more and you suddenly become replaceable

dibo

I agree, but not without saying that Monty in particular brings with him some intangible value as a leader in the club.

dibo

I think we're actually in a stronger position by keeping slots open, TBH. Other clubs have far fewer spots available, so they have far less flexibility to be able to respond to the changing circumstances.

pjennings

The last two lines are of particular interest

Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon wants F3 derbies scheduled in prime time

Central Coast Mariners coach Paul Okon has urged Football Federation Australia and Fox Sports to consider future F3 derbies for prime time Saturday night slots to kick-start the rivalry.

The competition's two regional teams are desperately trying to reignite the passion of the A-League's oldest derby and haven't played each other in the most attractive time slot for fans since March 2014. The F3 derby has fallen down the pecking order since the arrival of the Melbourne and Sydney derbies in the A-League, but Okon says the tension still exists within the dressing rooms, having played for Newcastle in the second season of the A-League before joining Mariners as their coach this season.

He believes for that to filter into the stands and further into their communities, they need a push from broadcasters and the FFA to help re-create it as a strong regional rivalry.

"It will be great in the future if this derby could get a Saturday night, 7.30pm kick-off," Okon said. "That would also help to grow the derby again. Sunday afternoon 5pm kick-off, I don't think that breeds or aids the importance of the derby. I think everyone is happy that the derby now is something to play for.

1488001064913.jpg

Local rivals: Newcastle's Mark Jones and Central Coast's Paul Okon prepare for battle in the derby. Photo: Marina Neil
"I think that's what everyone wants to get back to, those derbies at the birth of the A-League, so I think we're heading in the right direction."

The Mariners have no shortage of passion heading into Sunday's match against Newcastle, a fixture in which they've had a player sent off before half-time in their last three meetings. As the Mariners are preparing to claim their first win over their rivals in seven meetings, they know controlling their temperament and discipline will be just as important as their performance.

"I guess in derby games there's always going to be some tension and the blood is going and people are maybe going to make tackles they shouldn't make," Okon said.

As a player, Okon received one of his two red cards in an F3 derby after he was sent off for a poorly time challenge in the second season of the A-League. While that had more to do with the timing of his tackle, rather than a rush of blood to the head, the Mariners coach knows the importance this fixture has in the community.

"Everyone is looking forward to this," he said. "Many supporters said to me you can lose any game in the season, but make sure you win the derby. I think we do feel it. For the players it's a game that we want to win and I think everyone realises there is a little bit more in it in regards to our supporters. Nobody wants to let them down and with good support, I'm sure we can get three points."

The Mariners are no closer to knowing yet whether star striker Roy O'Donovan will accept a contract offer submitted to his agent.

"All I know is that the club has spoken to his agent and discussions have taken place and an offer's been made," Okon said.

Timmah

The last two lines are of particular interest

The Mariners are no closer to knowing yet whether star striker Roy O'Donovan will accept a contract offer submitted to his agent.

"All I know is that the club has spoken to his agent and discussions have taken place and an offer's been made," Okon said.

Funny, reports we haven't responded to a player and fans shout the club down.

Reports a player hasn't responded to the club's contract offer and stone cold silence...

Wombat

Some tough decisions to be made on the squad. Maybe we should hold off until the end of the season before we give our opinions.

dibo

Some tough decisions to be made on the squad. Maybe we should hold off until the end of the season before we give our opinions.
Are you suggesting we should keep our opinions to ourselves?

Who are you, and where did you bury Wombat?

Ancient Mariner

OK, I have been quiet for a while. But thinking (it is a struggle for me) of the future. My opinion before the end of the season. Fools rush in and all that.

This year has shown a marked improvement, big props to Poalo for making the best out of an inexperienced and more importantly unproven squad, not of his choosing. A+

I think it is clear that while there are some good prospects the squad we have at the moment is not up to scratch but is probably at times playing close to their full potential. At these times they will beat any other A-league team but are not really competitive enough to challenge for any silverware.

Roy has hit the nail on the head when he says we need a couple of good experienced players and i suspect that he is waiting to see movement in this direction before he re-signs.

Last year our experienced players turned out to be flawed problems and they had to go.

This year they were not fit. Tavares showed in one game what a difference his experience made. A gamble that did not pay off.

Who do we keep?

Izzo: definitely if he will stay.
Roux: Great in attack, suspect in defence. Left backs are as scarce as hens teeth. So I guess we keep unless we can pick up Elrich.
Galloway: A great pick up as good right backs are also rare. Keep.
Posco: The only central defender in the club. Definitely keep.
Rose: What a revelation as a central defender, looks more at home there than as a DM. Definitely keep.
Monty: Another year. He is the heart and soul of the team.
McGing: Not good enough, I do not know if he has the ability to improve, he seems too slow to react. I will leave him to better judges than myself.
Paine: Has pace which cannot be taught and a demonstrated ability, will improve with the right chances and coaching. Keep.
Buhagiar: As above but with a years less experience, could be very exciting in the future. Keep.
Fabio: He is not an AM but is doing his best. Has heaps of experience, but in future I see him as a valuable bench player.
O'Donovan: He is a real striker with experience and a good football brain. Probably up there with any other in the A-League, definitely keep.

The Bench:
Appiah: A trier but not really up to standard. State league.
Bingham: I want to see more of. Appears to be a good hold up striker. Definitely keep.
Neil: I do not know. He appears out of position as a fullback and suffering in confidence. Maybe he can be another Izzo, or maybe he can shine on the wing. I do not know and will leave that one up to better judges.
Ascroft: No.

The others:
I cannot think of any I would keep apart from some junior prospects of whom I have not seen enough to comment.

What we need:
A great A.M.
A DM as good as a fit Tavares.
A quality old head centre back of the Wilko mold. Posco and Rose are great but two are not enough.

I would like to see a little more back up for depth, but with those three positions the up and comers should be able to fill the gaps.

Thoughts?

pjennings

A huge opportunity for Paul to shape the squad the way or wants to.

Contracts that I would extend

Izzo, Galloway, Poscoliero, Adelson, Montgomery, O'Donovan, Bingham

Contract that I would not renew

Necesvski, Neill, Faty, Roux, Tavares, Ferriera, Appiah-Kubi

Squad to build on

Izzo, Galloway, Ascroft, Rose, Poscoliero, Adelson, McGing, Montgomery, Berry, Pain, O'Donovan, Bingham, Powell,Buhagiar

Needed

GK, LB, 2 CB, DM, 2 CAM, 1 LW, 1 CS/RW

Experience need for 1 CB, 1 CAM, DM . The LW and RW need to be at least as good as Trent and Connor. Roy with good service from the wings and from a quality CAM would be a revelation.

Wombat

Are you suggesting we should keep our opinions to ourselves?

Who are you, and where did you bury Wombat?

Dibo,
Look at how scared people are to give an opinion in the Scum thread! Its not easy for people to stick their heads up and say what they think.
Of course you think i'm over opinionated but its often just an attempt to "keep the bastards honest"......and other times simply drunken venting.
I would love to say who should be cut but why dent a player's confidence at a crucial time and look at the improvement in Rose as a CB as oppossed to a DM.....sometimes 2 or 3 solid games can make a massive difference.

Wombat

A huge opportunity for Paul to shape the squad the way or wants to.

Contracts that I would extend

Izzo, Galloway, Poscoliero, Adelson, Montgomery, O'Donovan, Bingham

Contract that I would not renew

Necesvski, Neill, Faty, Roux, Tavares, Ferriera, Appiah-Kubi

Squad to build on

Izzo, Galloway, Ascroft, Rose, Poscoliero, Adelson, McGing, Montgomery, Berry, Pain, O'Donovan, Bingham, Powell,Buhagiar

Needed

GK, LB, 2 CB, DM, 2 CAM, 1 LW, 1 CS/RW

Experience need for 1 CB, 1 CAM, DM . The LW and RW need to be at least as good as Trent and Connor. Roy with good service from the wings and from a quality CAM would be a revelation.

Galloway is a LB guys so we need a RB!!

pjennings

LB to replace Neil and push Scott. I would have Posco as first choice RB with Adelson as backup. Galloway can also play there. If Paul is going to play Liam at CB we need a taller experience CB next to him.

Big Al

OK, I have been quiet for a while. But thinking (it is a struggle for me) of the future. My opinion before the end of the season. Fools rush in and all that.

This year has shown a marked improvement, big props to Poalo for making the best out of an inexperienced and more importantly unproven squad, not of his choosing. A+

I think it is clear that while there are some good prospects the squad we have at the moment is not up to scratch but is probably at times playing close to their full potential. At these times they will beat any other A-league team but are not really competitive enough to challenge for any silverware.

Roy has hit the nail on the head when he says we need a couple of good experienced players and i suspect that he is waiting to see movement in this direction before he re-signs.

Last year our experienced players turned out to be flawed problems and they had to go.

This year they were not fit. Tavares showed in one game what a difference his experience made. A gamble that did not pay off.

Who do we keep?

Izzo: definitely if he will stay.
Roux: Great in attack, suspect in defence. Left backs are as scarce as hens teeth. So I guess we keep unless we can pick up Elrich.
Galloway: A great pick up as good right backs are also rare. Keep.
Posco: The only central defender in the club. Definitely keep.
Rose: What a revelation as a central defender, looks more at home there than as a DM. Definitely keep.
Monty: Another year. He is the heart and soul of the team.
McGing: Not good enough, I do not know if he has the ability to improve, he seems too slow to react. I will leave him to better judges than myself.
Paine: Has pace which cannot be taught and a demonstrated ability, will improve with the right chances and coaching. Keep.
Buhagiar: As above but with a years less experience, could be very exciting in the future. Keep.
Fabio: He is not an AM but is doing his best. Has heaps of experience, but in future I see him as a valuable bench player.
O'Donovan: He is a real striker with experience and a good football brain. Probably up there with any other in the A-League, definitely keep.

The Bench:
Appiah: A trier but not really up to standard. State league.
Bingham: I want to see more of. Appears to be a good hold up striker. Definitely keep.
Neil: I do not know. He appears out of position as a fullback and suffering in confidence. Maybe he can be another Izzo, or maybe he can shine on the wing. I do not know and will leave that one up to better judges.
Ascroft: No.

The others:
I cannot think of any I would keep apart from some junior prospects of whom I have not seen enough to comment.

What we need:
A great A.M.
A DM as good as a fit Tavares.
A quality old head centre back of the Wilko mold. Posco and Rose are great but two are not enough.

I would like to see a little more back up for depth, but with those three positions the up and comers should be able to fill the gaps.

Thoughts?
Nailed it, agree with everyone except Neill he absolutely must go and you missed Berry who I like

JoyfulPenguin

I really like McGing but I don't think he has the technical ability to be an A-League player. He isn't a centre back and isn't good enough technically to be a midfielder, would do well with a club in Asia though. Would love to see Jonatan Germano at the club, he is an Australian citizen now and dominated NPLV last year and is doing it again this year. Was a great player at Heart and would be extremely cheap. More than up to the A-League. Pain is a good player but he goes in an out of form, we need a back up left winger to push him. Nick Epifano has some personality issues but could thrive under Paolo, so could Danny Choi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred