• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners squad HAL 10 ~ 2014/15

tsd

It looks to me that left and right back is covered as well as the 2 DM positions. This leaves a few spots light on, depending on re-signings we could be in the market for a striker, a winger, a centre back and a keeper

Big questions are...

Will ibini get released or return to china?
Will weemac cut it in the j league?
Will Flores return from injury and re-sign?
Will bosnar, ando or seip step up?

VicMariner

It looks to me that left and right back is covered as well as the 2 DM positions. This leaves a few spots light on, depending on re-signings we could be in the market for a striker, a winger, a centre back and a keeper
Need quality depth at center back. Desperately need a top striker.

We have lost:
One of the league's best coaches - not replaced..yet
Best keeper in the league - not replaced
Arguably best center back pairing in the league - not replaced..yet
One of the best midfielders in the league - Flores/Kim, might be OK here
Golden boot winner - very much not replaced

I want Eto'o

Gratis

Kalik is young, 15 or 16 I believe? - but a cousin of mine (won't go into details but this guy coaches in syd and worked with Ryan, Ibini and Musti at different times in their pre-mariners days, he also played alongside Mossy and knows both Arnie and Popa well enough to call at home) reckons Kalik is more skilled, is stronger and a better reader of the game than Musti was at his age.
yet to see if he meets his potential but exciting times ahead if so

Reactions: tsd

Big Al

''I've given them my commitment to stay with them in the A-League,'' Arnold said. ''So it's going to be another three-year plan in place of reproducing the kids we've produced in the first three years.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...gest-player-20130830-2sw6p.html#ixzz2uYtLH6m7

Oh O

They should be due to arrive soon as article quotes march. Hope mossy can educate them as required.

Kalik sounds good but hope he doesn't end up like half the junior stars who are never to be heard of again.

VicMariner

"Kalik will join fellow AIS teammate Liam Rose at the Mariners' centre of excellence in March."
Any relation to Josh Rose I wonder?

Can't find much info on them. Don't know what positions they play either but in the NYL season just completed they scored 5 & 2 goals respectively.

AuzDutchy

"Kalik will join fellow AIS teammate Liam Rose at the Mariners' centre of excellence in March."
Any relation to Josh Rose I wonder?

Can't find much info on them. Don't know what positions they play either but in the NYL season just completed they scored 5 & 2 goals respectively.

Kalik is a AM/DM and Rose is (AFAIK) a left back

tsd

Kalik is young, 15 or 16 I believe? - but a cousin of mine (won't go into details but this guy coaches in syd and worked with Ryan, Ibini and Musti at different times in their pre-mariners days, he also played alongside Mossy and knows both Arnie and Popa well enough to call at home) reckons Kalik is more skilled, is stronger and a better reader of the game than Musti was at his age.
yet to see if he meets his potential but exciting times ahead if so
In preseason he looked great, not out of place playing with the grown ups despite being 15 at the time. Obviously he is at a critical age for growth so given that he will be a full year older at the start of next season he may well break into the team. If not then he may be the hutch replacement at the end of next season (where hutch will most likely retire, being 36)

pjennings

With just a little tweaking we could have an extremely competitive team next season.

I would have 24 in the squad. However, I am not convinced that Kwas will return from injury, he seems to have been injured for a long time. If he does we can count one of the youngsters outside the squad and cap limit - otherwise we drop back to 23. Guys in blue should be resigned. and quality needs to be added for the positions in red.

I have moved Monty back to CB. We have a lot of DM/CM types and CB needs strengthening. He has all the attributes needed there except for height. The new keeper, Monty and the new starting CB are integral to not only our defence but our attack. A keeper with Ryan-like distributions skills and CBs that are comfortable on the ball a la Patrick and Trent change our ability to attack. If we can re-sign a fit Flores and get Wee-Mac back we will have attacking midfielders that are all able to retain possession. Throw in a clinical striker and we are set.

------------------------ NEW 1ST CHOICE GK/ Reddy----------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roux/Morton ------ Monty/Seip----------NEW 1ST CHOICE CB/Anderson----Rose/Neill
------------ Caceres/Kalik ------------- Hutch/Curren ------------------------
McGlinchey/Fitzy---------- Flores/Rose/Cernak----------------- Seung_Yong/Slater
------------------------Duke/Kwas/NEW 1ST CHOICE STRIKER --------------------------

VicMariner

What about Matt Simon?

I would keep him.
It might just be me but Simon seems a shadow of his former self. Sure he still has a lot of energy but he does not seem to accomplish much.
Perhaps his contribution is too subtle for my second rate football knowledge?

bikinigirl

It might just be me but Simon seems a shadow of his former self. Sure he still has a lot of energy but he does not seem to accomplish much.
Perhaps his contribution is too subtle for my second rate football knowledge?

. i think matty was well short of his former self when he first came back. since then he has shown some signs of getting his mojo back ... but ... he has suffered the same as any of our other strikers - getting balls they can use ... and having players available to then bring into the play

. i think it is very hard to judge him. at least he has shown some energy and determination - a hard earned mariners trait that many of his teammates can't seem to find much of the time. but hey, these things may not be considerations for those with a first rate football knowledge (craig foster i am not ;) ... thankfully :piralaugh:)

eenfish

I think Simon's productivity and performance has declined due to poor supply and team cohesion. But that is just my opinion. Either way, he should still be behind Dukey in the depth chart.

I also think Bernie should definitely be kept if we can. He and Bernie should both be played as strikers unless both playing at the same time.

Kareem

At a time where we are struggling for spirit (for the high standards we are used to...unlike some other clubs)...we can't afford to lose our poster boy for the "mariners way".

Doesn't mean he should start, but I would happily have him in the squad!

eenfish

Just to further elaborate, look at Dukey. End of last year he was one of the best young strikers in the league, got a Socceroos call up and even banged an international goal. Sky was the limit.
We know his first touch is a bit clunky, but he hasn't looked nearly as dangerous this year compared to last. Maybe it was because every opponent was trying to shut down The Unstoppable McBreen Machine, or maybe because we were a team firing on all cylinders at all parts of the park then.

VicMariner

. but ... he has suffered the same as any of our other strikers - getting balls they can use ...

. i think it is very hard to judge him. at least he has shown some energy and determination - a hard earned mariners trait that many of his teammates can't seem to find much of the time.
I think Simon's productivity and performance has declined due to poor supply and team cohesion.
Simon has not lost the 100% effort, never say die attitude we love but as you both point out our strikers are not getting good service. With no McGlinchey and no Flores it's not surprising.
Kim really has to perform and lift the rest of the midfield with him.

pjennings

What about Matt Simon?

I would keep him.
To be honest I would be keen to have a 26 man squad with 3 of the young guys not counting towards the squad limit and cap. If that was the case then Simon could be accommodated.

However, I think our main problems areas, as I said earlier, in defence and attack are our keeper and CBs. Then midfielders that can hold the ball, After that we need a clinical striker in the Smeltz/Berisha mould. Whatever you say about Simon he is not at that level. I would settle for Simon if that is all we can afford because I think the other areas are in more need and Simon can do a job for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred