• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

onto it

A second division makes it implicit we can't remain spooners anymore too. Dropping down would be akin to a death knell to this club.
Stepping up time is now and the pressure to be better is heavier on us than anyone.
It has been a better start and after those 2 games I am happy we have Staj.
To what degree do you think Staj was responsible?
I give him credit for the fitness and makeup of the squad.
Was Satj responsible for the formation or was that a player reaction to what was going on on the field?
As the side is quite young and (always) new in terms of time together, I would like to see more direction barking from the coaches area.

Last edited:

onto it

Definitely agree. I think the weakest part of our squad as it stands is the LB & RB positions. Miller has been a CB and would possibly be a better option as a back up there over Clisby, but I'd still like to see Dan Hall get a run there if the opportunity becomes available.
I agree about Miller. A boy with potential. For me, he needs little cameos at CB to gain experience though.
Not a starter.

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Mrs Recky just asked a very interesting question ...and I quote “ if the salary cap just got halved, how have we got 3 visa players with some manner of pedigree.?”...I got nothing , someone else tell her :piralaugh:

turbo

Mrs Recky just asked a very interesting question ...and I quote “ if the salary cap just got halved, how have we got 3 visa players with some manner of pedigree.?”...I got nothing , someone else tell her :piralaugh:
Heaps of possible reasons
- us not spending well before (trending the right way though)
- players taking less to come to a country doing well against COVID
- less competition from other leagues outbidding us now they’re facing financial pressures of their own
- we never used marquee spots anyway

bikinigirl

Was Satj responsible for the formation or was that a player reaction to what was going on on the field?
As the side is quite young and (always) new in terms of time together, I would like to see more direction barking from the coaches area.

. funny you should say that ... i had actually wondered how much Oli may have had to do with the change in formation - i mean it's not like we had seen a 4-4-2 defensive block in the more-than-a-season Staj has been in charge, until Oli arrives - then bang!

. in my mind i figured the contract negotiations included:
  • if you want me to play for $x
  • and you want me to be the poster boy Coastie
  • and sign for the worst performing team in the league since i left
  • while taking the brunt of any frailties as the defensive midfielder of choice
  • ... then how about we build some defensive structure like what worked last time i was here ... how about we KIFSS
:innocent:

bikinigirl

. i think that one is easier to answer than:

"if the salary cap was halved, how can Sydney retain the same squad ... losing only one player* who sat outside of the cap anyway?"

* not to mention that said player has since been replaced by a past a-league golden boot winner

turbo

i had actually wondered how much Oli may have had to do with the change in formation - i mean it's not like we had seen a 4-4-2 defensive block in the more-than-a-season Staj has been in charge, until Oli arrives - then bang!
I’m glad the team is coming together well but I do have to wonder what behind the scenes changes have made such a difference.
We’re there bad attitudes? Why do they seem fitter than last season under Staj? What convinced Staj to ditch the 4-2-2-2? Could we not have played a similar midfield with Kim instead of Oli? The backline has 3 out of 4 old faces anyway.

I suspect there’s something more to it that the average fan will never know.

bikinigirl

I’m glad the team is coming together well but I do have to wonder what behind the scenes changes have made such a difference.
We’re there bad attitudes? Why do they seem fitter than last season under Staj? What convinced Staj to ditch the 4-2-2-2? Could we not have played a similar midfield with Kim instead of Oli? The backline has 3 out of 4 old faces anyway.

I suspect there’s something more to it that the average fan will never know.

. i hope that it has been a collective effort with effective communication. combining the collective smarts of the coaching staff and experienced players with effort driven ambition ... mixed a common sense pragmatic approach

. it almost seems like they have realised that they need to rely on one another

Ancient Mariner

. funny you should say that ... i had actually wondered how much Oli may have had to do with the change in formation - i mean it's not like we had seen a 4-4-2 defensive block in the more-than-a-season Staj has been in charge, until Oli arrives - then bang!

. in my mind i figured the contract negotiations included:
  • if you want me to play for $x
  • and you want me to be the poster boy Coastie
  • and sign for the worst performing team in the league since i left
  • while taking the brunt of any frailties as the defensive midfielder of choice
  • ... then how about we build some defensive structure like what worked last time i was here ... how about we KIFSS
:innocent:
No, he just finally listened to Wombat.

Big Al

1 pre covid Useless Tommy Oar and Assdribble = 3 covid half price foreigners with pedogree of which one maybe some sort of favour for our club relationships

Yorkshire Mariners FC

Def Staj!
I was at the Bulls game and have been. Meaning to post for a while. Here was my take.
Simple homework on the tactics. DDS covered our weak link (Clisby) by essentially double teaming Franjic going forward. Our strikers took out their holding midfield/playmakers (Milligan and Benoit?).
Oli directed everything and everyone. His left footed cross-field passes were reminiscent of the 'hot Dutchman'...
Bulls ran out of ideas with their 3 best players neutralised and Ante had no Plan B.

Wombat

Def Staj!
I was at the Bulls game and have been. Meaning to post for a while. Here was my take.
Simple homework on the tactics. DDS covered our weak link (Clisby) by essentially double teaming Franjic going forward. Our strikers took out their holding midfield/playmakers (Milligan and Benoit?).
Oli directed everything and everyone. His left footed cross-field passes were reminiscent of the 'hot Dutchman'...
Bulls ran out of ideas with their 3 best players neutralised and Ante had no Plan B.
Greedy Jolic doesn't believe in Plan B.

Forum Phoenix

Def Staj!

Agree. I think we were really helped by how slow they were to move the ball. Slow team in general. And they moved the ball sideways- ala Okon ball a lot. With our 2 pressers and 2 banks of 4. Really suited our defence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred