• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2020-2021

bikinigirl

While we all seem to be reasonably happy with the squad (quite a turn around in sentiment in just over a week) I have always been a great believer in 2 people for each position.

With 20 in the squad we are still two short. After the first 2 rounds where do people see the greatest need for those spots. (BTW - this pre-supposes that we will sign more players - something that may not happen).

What are people's thoughts. Should we add to the squad? If so, where?

My thoughts. I didn't expect Tongyik and Rowles would be the starting CBs - but it is now theirs to lose and they both look very comfortable. They have a good keeper behind them and having Ollie in front of them probably gives them a deal of confidence. Casella has been a breath of fresh air at LM. Up front the young guys are impressing and while Urena stats are not great, his stats when playing as a 9 last season in the Costa Rican first div was 10 goals and 4 assists in 20 ganes.

My main area of concern in the first XI is Clisby. While he has looked better in a more settled side I'm just not convinced that he is what will be needed. He can cover for CB so I would have him as cover for LCB and cover for LB. Hatch may become good enough to play regularly at LB but he isn't there yet. So my first position is to buy a starting XI LB. The other position I would look at is a backup CM. while it is true that Nizzy or DDS could cover in there as well but I like the competition they are having out wide. As it is a backup player I don't think we have to break the bank for any means here but would be happy to take a gamble. The person I would gamble with is Tasuku Sekiya. He has excelled in three different NPL competitions and probably wouldn't be much of a gamble anyway - and coming from the NPL would not be that expensive,

------------------------Birighitti/Pearce-------------------------
Nigro/Miller------Tongyik/Hall-----Rowles/Clisby--------LB/Hatch
Nisbet/De Silva---Stensness/Jankovic----Bozanic/CM--Janota/Casella
-------------Urena/Bouman------------Koul/Simon--------------------

. i, on the other hand, am surprised we signed more than the minimum of 18 ... but there are some scholarship players in the squad and more youth dudes about - for example Smylie is not on your list (and he has played in both matches and scored too)

. we always have players that are rarely if ever seen on the pitch ... and now, more than ever, i don't think we can afford to be bringing in players - cheap or otherwise - just to fill out the squad. i think the statements at the fan forum that we will assess the need as it arises is the more prudent approach

bikinigirl

. i, on the other hand, am surprised we signed more than the minimum of 18 ... but there are some scholarship players in the squad and more youth dudes about - for example Smylie is not on your list (and he has played in both matches and scored too)

. we always have players that are rarely if ever seen on the pitch ... and now, more than ever, i don't think we can afford to be bringing in players - cheap or otherwise - just to fill out the squad. i think the statements at the fan forum that we will assess the need as it arises is the more prudent approach

. and although it seems i have gone soft in the head ... supporting the club's (lack of) expenditure and recruitment ... i just don't think we have the money. but, never fear dear readers, i remain as cynical as ever

. as far as squad composition goes - i was filled with dread reading Staj's reported comments re. the goal of ACL qualification:
  • Mike has previously stated he can't afford us to compete in the ACL - despite this probably being his best chance of finding a buyer willing to pay his asking price for the club
  • if qualification looks even a remote chance i can see him panic selling - not the club, but players - to ensure our season is ruined
  • players such as Birraz, Oli and Nizzy (to name a few and for differing reasons) may be worth more to us than their 'market value' but in a panic could be sold for less
. urgh ... see what being a Mariners fan does to you :doh: :tinfoilhat: :piralaugh:

marinermick

Is ACL the aim to showcase the club in Asia for a sale?

Gives the playing/coaching staff a target as well as portraying the club as successful and a quality purchase.

pjennings

While I understand what you are saying. I wasn't at the fan forum - but is the need now the same as it was at that time?

My list is of players signed to the club either on full or scholarship contracts. Smylie, Ballard, Khoury, Tsekenis, Katsoulis & McCarthy may all get game time given the compressed schedule of games.

I'm actually looking further ahead than this season. We need to play the youngsters AND have a good squad. Next year (2022) there will be an extended NPL competition which, depending on other decisions, may well be running at the same time as the A-League with CCMA in NPL1. This NPL1 team will be formed from our NYL/NPL2 team. This team will essentially be our reserves and where people come back from injury or will drop to - to regain form. We will need to be looking not at a 18-23 man squad - but rather at something closer to a 30 man squad supported by the NPL1 U/20 team.

Things are changing fast. The unbundling of the league means we now control our own IP. The Council's situation may present more opportunities. The local and state governments (and maybe Feds) now look at WWC as an opportunity. Arnie is pushing for a reserve league and at a minimum it looks like the backup is an NPL1 team for each Australian A League team. The AAFC is supposed to be announcing more today about a NSD - probably targeting 2022 or 2023. These teams will present other opportunities for young Australian players.

If our strength is to be young players we need to not only have a good young A-League squad supported by experience - but also a strong NPL1 team and a strong NPL U/20s team.

Ironbark

A second division makes it implicit we can't remain spooners anymore too. Dropping down would be akin to a death knell to this club.
Stepping up time is now and the pressure to be better is heavier on us than anyone.
It has been a better start and after those 2 games I am happy we have Staj.

Michael

Is ACL the aim to showcase the club in Asia for a sale?

Gives the playing/coaching staff a target as well as portraying the club as successful and a quality purchase.
I’d say that side of it wasn’t even part of Staj’s thinking. I believe he’s seen how committed and fit his squad has become this pre season and he feels there’s something different this time around and he’s happy with his visa signings and is just setting a high target to test himself and the squad.

Also, I think DRD might just be on his way back to aus. Either that, or he’s going somewhere else in Europe. He’s left Ukraine.

Ozhammer

Challenging the squad to achieve something ambitious is smart coaching imho. Set the bar as high as you reasonably can and don’t back away from it. Set the bar low and the reality is that you will, in all likelihood, fail to reach even that level.

I always remember Mossy saying at the end of his first season as head coach “if you’d offered me third place at the beginning of the season, I have bitten your arm off” (or words to that effect). That probably explains a lot of what happened in his second season, after Arnie’s momentum wore off.
:doh:

Forum Phoenix

i don't expect any of the foreigners to start against the drive-by's
depending on fitness possibly 2 on the bench
Urena maybe. He's out of Quarantine with nearly a fortnight under his sleeve before the game. Entirely depends on what shape he's in. But if he's fit and looks the goods, I reckon Staj would have to be tempted.

turbo

That'd be really fkn smart, surely a Newcastle NPL team could be spooled up without any Sydney hassle?
There are no issues with a Sydney team anyway afaik. We’re lumped in with the general restrictions anyway as part of greater Sydney. If anything Newcastle teams should be more reluctant to come here.

Wombat

I’d say that side of it wasn’t even part of Staj’s thinking. I believe he’s seen how committed and fit his squad has become this pre season and he feels there’s something different this time around and he’s happy with his visa signings and is just setting a high target to test himself and the squad.

Also, I think DRD might just be on his way back to aus. Either that, or he’s going somewhere else in Europe. He’s left Ukraine.
Who cares about DRD. One glorious 20 min spell against the worst team in the HAL (apart from us) does not mean anything. Our squad is now full. We can cover a couple of new defenders and obviously a 2nd string keeper but apart from that we are sorted.

Big Dog

While we all seem to be reasonably happy with the squad (quite a turn around in sentiment in just over a week) I have always been a great believer in 2 people for each position.

With 20 in the squad we are still two short. After the first 2 rounds where do people see the greatest need for those spots. (BTW - this pre-supposes that we will sign more players - something that may not happen).

What are people's thoughts. Should we add to the squad? If so, where?

My thoughts. I didn't expect Tongyik and Rowles would be the starting CBs - but it is now theirs to lose and they both look very comfortable. They have a good keeper behind them and having Ollie in front of them probably gives them a deal of confidence. Casella has been a breath of fresh air at LM. Up front the young guys are impressing and while Urena stats are not great, his stats when playing as a 9 last season in the Costa Rican first div was 10 goals and 4 assists in 20 ganes.

My main area of concern in the first XI is Clisby. While he has looked better in a more settled side I'm just not convinced that he is what will be needed. He can cover for CB so I would have him as cover for LCB and cover for LB. Hatch may become good enough to play regularly at LB but he isn't there yet. So my first position is to buy a starting XI LB. The other position I would look at is a backup CM. while it is true that Nizzy or DDS could cover in there as well but I like the competition they are having out wide. As it is a backup player I don't think we have to break the bank for any means here but would be happy to take a gamble. The person I would gamble with is Tasuku Sekiya. He has excelled in three different NPL competitions and probably wouldn't be much of a gamble anyway - and coming from the NPL would not be that expensive,

------------------------Birighitti/Pearce-------------------------
Nigro/Miller------Tongyik/Hall-----Rowles/Clisby--------LB/Hatch
Nisbet/De Silva---Stensness/Jankovic----Bozanic/CM--Janota/Casella
-------------Urena/Bouman------------Koul/Simon--------------------
Definitely agree. I think the weakest part of our squad as it stands is the LB & RB positions. Miller has been a CB and would possibly be a better option as a back up there over Clisby, but I'd still like to see Dan Hall get a run there if the opportunity becomes available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred