• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Forum Phoenix

I have no knowledge of the financials, But based on what we seem to spend and recruit, I don’t think our budget allows for six quality visa players. And there’s no point spending money (and the time finding and signing) on players unless they’re clearly better than what can be sourced here.

So I think we have to triage our priorities.
For mine in order of priority, it’s Striker, 10, CB, Winger, DM...

And I think to get proper versions of the first 3 spots, we may need to forget spots 4,5 and 6 so we can have players worth having in 1,2,3.

Last edited:

jacobsfl

I have no knowledge of the financials, But based on what we seem to spend and recruit, I don’t think our budget allows for six quality visa players. And there’s no point spending money (and the time finding and signing) on players unless they’re clearly better than what can be sourced here.

So I think we have to triage our priorities.
For mine in order of priority, it’s Striker, 10, CB, Winger, DM...

And I think to get proper versions of the first 3 spots, we may need to forget spots 4,5 and 6 so we can, players worth having in 1,2,3.

This

I think we spend 1,2 and 3 on a CB, #10 and #9. I could potentially see us getting a 4th in a GK, which I imagine wouldn't take too much of a cap hit. I feel there is enough talent in the country to fill the other positions.

pjennings

This

I think we spend 1,2 and 3 on a CB, #10 and #9. I could potentially see us getting a 4th in a GK, which I imagine wouldn't take too much of a cap hit. I feel there is enough talent in the country to fill the other positions.

I agree with your priority - and suspect a visa GK is likley if we can't hold Birighitti - but we have paid a lot for players who have not delivered this year whether visa or Australian who are off contract. When you look at the money we are probably paying for Oar, Simon, McGlinchey, Melling, Jair, Fox, Majok and Shabow then the money is there for better visa and/or Australian players

jacobsfl

He just re-signed with Adelaide for 2 years
Can't say I'm surprised.
I agree with your priority - and suspect a visa GK is likley if we can't hold Birighitti - but we have paid a lot for players who have not delivered this year whether visa or Australian who are off contract. When you look at the money we are probably paying for Oar, Simon, McGlinchey, Melling, Jair, Fox, Majok and Shabow then the money is there for better visa and/or Australian players
Yes. Hopefully the dead wood can clear out so that Staj can purchase players he needs. The Mulvey era of recruitment was very destructive.

Oar was an embarrassing error.

turbo

If we aren’t in a position to use all of our visa spaces effectively whether that’s 5 or 6 I wouldn’t mind seeing us look for a development prospect in a lower tier like J2, K2 leagues or lower ranked football nations like Thailand, Vietnam etc.. all depends if the money works out but I have to wonder if someone we can sell to another A league club as a decent +1 for ACL is worth pursuing.

onto it

If we aren’t in a position to use all of our visa spaces effectively whether that’s 5 or 6 I wouldn’t mind seeing us look for a development prospect in a lower tier like J2, K2 leagues or lower ranked football nations like Thailand, Vietnam etc.. all depends if the money works out but I have to wonder if someone we can sell to another A league club as a decent +1 for ACL is worth pursuing.
The stupid thing is we can't 'sell' to another A-League club. It's against the rules. I guess we could hand them over, however in most cases this would require backhand inducements the value of a seaside mansion.

turbo

The stupid thing is we can't 'sell' to another A-League club. It's against the rules. I guess we could hand them over, however in most cases this would require backhand inducements the value of a seaside mansion.
That seems like it's high on the agenda for both the clubs and new head of the FFA. I wouldn't be surprised if its in place before next season along with some cap changes.

possum x

In my opinion, Nizzy, Stens, Miller and hopefully Kuol are all A-League level talent. Our youth setup has produced some quality players, I hold onto hope these four are part of the new batch

Monty doing a class job.
In my opinion all four are all a league level, Monty had nothing to do with their development

midfielder

Well at least we can field a team next season - 11 signed

If you have them at hand can you list them ....

Sounds to me, and I could be wrong, but are we signing a talented bunch of kids and I assume at the bottom end of the salary to free up funds to buy say a solid spine and keeper...

Thats the positive message I guess... I genuinely fear for the club if we have another crap year... I strongly feel club management needs to take ownership of our position and explain in some detail what the propose to do about it and I mean before the season ends ... On Monday I had a new client a Football hard core rusted on... up until two years ago never missed a Mariner's home game... today has lost all interest in Hal and the Mariners... I asked why and he said and I surprised nay amazed [hhhmmm not really], say astonished at his answer.... he said he could put up with crap play and being beaten... its hard when players seem to give up.... but when management gave up he said he left and as he sees it MC and our management team are not trying to improve anything simply trying to spend as little as possible...

Big Al

https://www.ccmariners.com.au/news/alou-kuols-big-week-continues-scholarship-deal

I'm confused how long this locks him in for. End of season or does it cover next season too? A few here were saying he isnt sticking around.
Straight into Nizzy’s scholarship spot by looks of it.

Good business and interesting to see he’d been over a sporting Lisbon to learn a little. While not totally obvious we are doing some good things with these youth kids and giving opportunities for them to learn and be seen.
Just don’t want them leaving for nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred