• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Ads

Convenient suddenly gets announced/finalised just as people have hit a tipping point.

Happy for Nizzy but very interesting timing as usual.

Would they have done it if things weren’t the way they are?

Tevor

Convenient suddenly gets announced/finalised just as people have hit a tipping point.

Would they have done it if things weren’t the way they are?
Could just correspond with him finally getting plenty of minutes. I get what you are saying though.

Forum Phoenix

Nizzy has just signed a senior contract for the next 2 years :thumbup:

Not just a good signing, but an essential piece in ensuring we don’t waste money on positions Australian talent should be able to fill, and have money for the positions where it can’t - and you have no choice but to spend. Quality visa striker and visa ten are essential for us.

If we had those two in our squad, instead of all the unproven talent, desperation signings, and no less than 6 DM’s this year, results would almost certainly be far more positive.

At least most contracts have been one year and or final year and we actually have a chance at a proper squad again next season.

this season I wanted to believe. I think Staj has gotten more right than he’s gotten wrong, but we never really had a chance with that squad and it’s been years in the making.

Forum Phoenix

Could just correspond with him finally getting plenty of minutes. I get what you are saying though.

Has proven himself once and for all on the pitch and earned his contract. Some of us were sure on here earlier about him, but club being cautious and making sure he could play 90 and was truly at this level was important.

Also have no qualms with the timing. Don’t want to think about all the deficiencies in our current roster, or talk endlessly about how bad our club is and how much better we deserve. Nice to talk about where the best chance of having a future lies. And I think it’s in signings like Stens and Nizzy. Great young players who won’t break the bank.

Last edited:

turbo

Is it so weird that they want to be strategic with their good news? Someone here mentioned this was happening before the WU game so it may just be a case of managing information to the public like every organisation does? They’ve got a home game to push so a bit of good news (or building momentum had we won) leading in to that seems like smart PR to me.

Big Al

I thought he was supposed to get it last year and got left in the cold with a scholarship? Maybe my memory is wrong.

good bit of business finally

Ancient Mariner

Like FP I wanted to believe, but our squad was nowhere near good enough. A lot of that was due to the necessity of signing players that had not necessarily been targeted but were available when we needed to make up the numbers. There were some targeted players that we missed. I also think it was the reason we saw so many single season contracts many of which will not be extended.
I like to think we will now see better recruitment which is more thought out and better targeted. Both Staj and the rest of the recruitment panel will have a better understanding of what is required, at what level in which positions.
The four young signings have been done with appropriate due diligence and have been done in a timely fashion unlike in the past couple of years where our young talent has been allowed to slip away due to tardy decision making.
These four will be the first in what will be the start of the future squad.
Of our current roster I doubt there will be too many who will get re-signed.
I suspect Harold to be a chance, depending on his performance from hereon in.
I would not mind Birraz nor Kim, but for well discussed reasons they seem unlikely.

The next priority must be to build a spine, not just a striker and an AM.
Keeper: We must have a keeper of at least A-League starting quality. Birraz would be good. Please do not even think Janjetovic. Even Redders who is a good shot stopper for SFC and adequate for their needs, is not good enough as a distributor for us.
Centre Back: We must have one experienced, quality centre back who can organise and teach our defence. Someone who has played at the top level but has a few years as a dominant A-League player. Think, Wilko 2 years ago, Patrick when we signed him.
DM: Same as for the centre back. Must have experience and quality. Importantly if they are winding down they must be fit enough and robust enough to survive week in week out. Think Monty. A young up and coming monster style DM like Jedi was would be great, but probably only exist in dreams.
AM: This position will, like the striker be expensive, but necessary. Someone who can orchestrate attacks, see and reward runs made by others and score themselves when the opportunity arises. Think Perez, dream Messi.
Striker: We all know. Just think Mori.

These positions are where most of our visa and quality signings positions should be. At least one of them must be of an ability and quality to dominate a game and lead the team. Get them correct and and we will be laughing.

Realistically if we fill these positions just to an adequate level with a couple above average standard we will be doing well and it will probably be sufficient. Probably our best hope would be to look for loyal club players from the top leagues who are looking to migrate and are prepared to make the move while they still have a lot to offer at a lower level. EG Patrick and Monty.

jacobsfl

In my opinion, Nizzy, Stens, Miller and hopefully Kuol are all A-League level talent. Our youth setup has produced some quality players, I hold onto hope these four are part of the new batch

Monty doing a class job.

pjennings

The next priority must be to build a spine, not just a striker and an AM.
Keeper: We must have a keeper of at least A-League starting quality. Birraz would be good. Please do not even think Janjetovic. Even Redders who is a good shot stopper for SFC and adequate for their needs, is not good enough as a distributor for us.
Centre Back: We must have one experienced, quality centre back who can organise and teach our defence. Someone who has played at the top level but has a few years as a dominant A-League player. Think, Wilko 2 years ago, Patrick when we signed him.
DM: Same as for the centre back. Must have experience and quality. Importantly if they are winding down they must be fit enough and robust enough to survive week in week out. Think Monty. A young up and coming monster style DM like Jedi was would be great, but probably only exist in dreams.
AM: This position will, like the striker be expensive, but necessary. Someone who can orchestrate attacks, see and reward runs made by others and score themselves when the opportunity arises. Think Perez, dream Messi.
Striker: We all know. Just think Mori.

These positions are where most of our visa and quality signings positions should be. At least one of them must be of an ability and quality to dominate a game and lead the team. Get them correct and and we will be laughing.

Realistically if we fill these positions just to an adequate level with a couple above average standard we will be doing well and it will probably be sufficient. Probably our best hope would be to look for loyal club players from the top leagues who are looking to migrate and are prepared to make the move while they still have a lot to offer at a lower level. EG Patrick and Monty.

:goodpost:

Who we have currently signed (I've added DRD who is not signed) is a good second XI

-----------------------Pearce 23

Miller 19 ---Tongyik 23 --- Rowles --- 21 ----Clisby 28

---------------Nisbet 20---------Stensness 21 --------

---------------------De Silva 22----------------------

Silvera 19-------------Murray 24---------------Ruiz-Diaz 18

Next season is supposed to have 6 visa players and they will need to form the basis of the spine. As oppeosed to this season the visa players need to be on the field not wasted as the McGlinchey and Jair spoys have been. As you said the AM and striker will be expensive but that is what we need.

If think we should push to re-sign Birighitti to a long-term deal (maybe not possible) with a reasonable release clause. That way if a chance for him to go OS comes he can take it. I think the professional keepers In Australia that are available are not at his level - not sure about the NPL level. I'd be happy happy to keep Harold as well.

Aussies I would target would include loans for Atkinson and Behich who both have played less than they would want this year and Halloran who is coming off contract.

turbo

Halloran who is coming off contract.
Halloran was supposedly being chased by about half the league.

On your first & second XI I can’t see us being in a position that all of our players like Stensness, Nisbet, Rowles, Tongyik, Clisby, Miller and DDS will all be in our second best line up. More likely that someone like Nisbet/Stens is partnered with a more experienced DM and the other is on the bench. Rotate depending on form and game specific needs. Same with Rowles & Tongyik.

pjennings

Halloran was supposedly being chased by about half the league.

On your first & second XI I can’t see us being in a position that all of our players like Stensness, Nisbet, Rowles, Tongyik, Clisby, Miller and DDS will all be in our second best line up. More likely that someone like Nisbet/Stens is partnered with a more experienced DM and the other is on the bench. Rotate depending on form and game specific needs. Same with Rowles & Tongyik.

I think Halloran's directness, along with Harold, would give us the speed to get in behind defences that we just haven't done this season. The n with a visa #10 to come through the middle and a visa striker we may start scoring. We will need to as well as 22 goals conceded in 6 games shows.

As long as all the young ones are not all in the first XI each game day. We can't have 6 young players in a starting XI. It needs to be back to 2 or 3 with seasoned pros helping their development. They need to learn in a solid team - not struggle together.

Big Al

I think Halloran's directness, along with Harold, would give us the speed to get in behind defences that we just haven't done this season. The n with a visa #10 to come through the middle and a visa striker we may start scoring. We will need to as well as 22 goals conceded in 6 games shows.

As long as all the young ones are not all in the first XI each game day. We can't have 6 young players in a starting XI. It needs to be back to 2 or 3 with seasoned pros helping their development. They need to learn in a solid team - not struggle together.
I was thinking we have our poor man version of Halloran in Harold (still better than anything else we have)

Hallaron has been great but would be out of our league

pjennings

I was thinking we have our poor man version of Halloran in Harold (still better than anything else we have)

Hallaron has been great but would be out of our league

I find that to be kind of our problem. Harold is good but what happens when he gets shut down. We need multiple threats - not only from out wide but also through the middle.

I think the visa players signed this season at the start were at a reasonable level. Jair and McGlinchey less so. If the visa players can be improved - which I think can be done then the half dozen Australian players become important - at least a 2 or 3 need to be in the best 2 or 3 in their position in the HAL. Halloran fits that criteria as does Birighitti.

In that way the six visa players plus 2 or 3 top Aussies can be augmented by some of our youngsters that can learn in a better side. Let's face - their will be injuries and suspensions and there will be plenty of opportunities for the youngsters. Take Melling as an example. He is not in the top two or three in his position - that spot has been wasted. Similarly with Fox.

We need a core of at least 15 that are first XI capable. That would include 6 visa players, 2 or 3 top flight aussies and half a dozen made up of youngsters and solid HAL players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred