• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Squad - 2019-2020

Big Al

Athiu (bless you!) - 20 appearances, 30 shots, 50% on target. 0 goals, 1 assist. 36% duels won. 27 years old, should be coming into his prime.

Muzz - 23 appearances, 38 shots, 50% on target, 3 goals, 2 assists. 46% duels won. 23 years old, plenty of development ahead and bags more potential.
Shit didn’t realize he was that bad last year. I like him on the eye test but the fact we are potentially debating between two NPL strikers to lead our line is a worry even if both were successful in the NPL.

Look at every other clubs strikers and we are definitely not as good

Rowdy

Hmmmm, some interesting reading ...

Clubs snub A-League great Berisha :
Berisha.jpeg

A-League legend Besart Berisha’s search for a second incarnation in the competition has failed to ignite the interest of club chiefs, leaving the naturalised Australian in limbo.

The league’s all-time top scorer is back in Australia seeking to resolve his future following his release last month by J-League giant Sanfrecce Hiroshima - 13 months after joining them from Melbourne Victory.

But to date the fiery 34-year-old former Albanian international has been unable to attract any firm offers from a number of A-League clubs still in the market for a central striker, including the likes of Central Coast, Western Sydney Wanderers and Wellington Phoenix.

Despite his record setting 106 goals from 171 A-League appearances across seven seasons with Brisbane Roar and then Melbourne Victory, Berisha’s lack of game time in Japan may be telling against him, along with his now veteran status.

He was unable to manage a single J-League minute this season before his exit, and amassed only six appearances off the bench in his debut season following his vaunted arrival from Victory in 2018.

It’s understood that Berisha’s forceful and sometimes abrasive nature - a characteristic which never held him back in Australia - wasn’t as readily appreciated in Japan, where his relationship with Sanfrecce coach Hiroshi Jofuku was often less than cordial.

A dual championship winner with the Roar and Victory, Berisha’s inability - thus far - to find a willing taker is still nonetheless surprising in light of his undoubted pedigree.

With the season due to kick off on October 11, the clock is ticking.

His best hope might be to land an injury replacement gig as the season unfolds should clubs continue to leave him off their recruitment wish lists.

Either that, or possibly he could ease into retirement and study for his coaching badges.
----------------------------------------------------

Is it that Bes is asking for BIG $$'s
OR
Stadjic is genuinely NOT interested in a player like Berisha ???

Rowdy

This 'lack of interest' article surely lowers his asking price, regardless of whatever it is, & thus could make him a much more palatable signing, in that:

- 12mnth would be reasonable for both parties.

- Berisha does NOT take a Visa Player spot

- Leaves open the Visa spot for a CB either NOW or later in January X-fer window.

(I personally am NOT happy with what we have atm & think/predict that a quality CB will be on EVERY Mariners Xmas list come early December)

x2 birds ..... one stone

turbo

Is it that Bes is asking for BIG $$'s
If no one is interested I think it would be a combination of factors:
- slowing down, was already a step behind when he left Victory and basically hasn’t played since
- most likely expects more than he’s worth and a starting spot
- reputation for being fiery on and off the pitch, could be a bit of a liability. Worth putting up with or catering to at his best but maybe not now?

If guys like Santalab and Simon can find their niche I’ve got no doubt Berisha could kick on for another season or two assuming he hasn’t declined significantly in Japan. But he’s got to be onboard with the idea he doesn’t command the same salary and game time he did a few years ago. If he’s still expecting big money and a starting gig then clubs won’t touch him and rightly so. It’ll be more a case of his expectations meeting the market then the suitors will come out of the woodwork.

We should be aiming to do better and using our last visa spot for the role. While I’m of the belief Berisha would be an upgrade on Simon (at least as far as converting chances) he’s not at the level we need for a starter. Also would need a real close look before signing with so few minutes since he left Victory. At a pinch maybe if the price is right.

turbo

- Leaves open the Visa spot for a CB either NOW or later in January X-fer window
There was talk clubs could pick up an extra visa spot as early as January once the independent league stuff is all formalised. Ran out of time to make it happen before the season.

Tevor

Also Staj is trying real hard to build a good culture and Bes could very quickly interrupt all the hard work. I’m happy we didn’t just fall at his feet, we would have the last few seasons. Shows we have a three year plan and we are sticking to it.

Ironbark

It's a hard one. I'd rather Berisha over no additional striker signings... but I would rather an equivalent striker or above who won't disrupt the changeroom.

nebakke

If guys like Santalab and Simon can find their niche I’ve got no doubt Berisha could kick on for another season or two assuming he hasn’t declined significantly in Japan. But he’s got to be onboard with the idea he doesn’t command the same salary and game time he did a few years ago.

There are some core differences between Matty/Santa and Berisha, much as I don't particularly care for Santa, I don't see him or Matty as ego-driven players, whether one feels that it's an important quality or not, they'll play for the team and the jersey and do their best to engage the team and they're not generally likely to start internal team fights.
From a cultural standpoint I reckon players like them are a big positive in the change room, where a player like Berisha can be excellent when he's in a good mood and disastrous when in a bad one, meaning he requires a whole lot of man-management.
When it comes ot money, I suspect he could probably find something in one of the smaller Asian leagues, maybe in the IPL?

turbo

There are some core differences between Matty/Santa and Berisha, much as I don't particularly care for Santa, I don't see him or Matty as ego-driven players, whether one feels that it's an important quality or not, they'll play for the team and the jersey and do their best to engage the team and they're not generally likely to start internal team fights.
Don’t disagree with anything you’ve said there. I feel Berisha would give us his all but the adjustment to not necessarily being top dog is a risky one to navigate for a player who’s been in that spot for years. A huge amount would depend on the mindset he comes back from Japan with.
You could be on to something with a stint in a lesser Asian league.

turbo

When I think of this possible signing I think of the late McCormack signing.
If nothing else Berisha would give a shit how he and the team performed which is more than McCormack appeared to bring to the table in his stint here.
If you mean a desperation signing that doesn’t really fit then I agree but in terms of attitude they seem like polar opposites.

MagpieMariner

Maybe Bes' expectations have been toned way down from his J-League experiences. Certainly no game time at all would have given his ego a reality check. If he was to come here, I would imagine Staj would lay the law down for him before he was allowed to sign anything. I wouldn't mind having him here.

style_cafe

I`d take a punt on Berisha, but the contract would have to be air tight with conditions like:-
1 season with 1 season option
Incentives per goal, per assist
No game time guarantee
1 warning for any indiscretion ie. blow ups etc. any further indiscretions then contract can be terminated
Complete an anger management course (if necessary)

He`s a goal scorer that`s desperate for a club, preferably in the A-League.
He`s now an Aussie so doesn`t take a visa spot.
If he doesn`t get a gig here it`s NPL as a part timer or a move to Asian lower leagues.

Everything swings to our favour if we can come to an agreement with him on what will probably be his last contract as a professional player...:popcorn:

Rowdy

I think Bes' biggest 'attitude problem' was that born from what he perceived to be his fellow team mates either
a) not trying&/or performing well enough
b) not giving a fcuk ... fullstop !

You'd have to take your shoes off to count how many that applies to in the last 4 of our seasons.

I'm with Maggie, his recent scenario in the J-League WOULD give any player of his stature/& personality a reality check and have them come away asking some intrinsic questions about ones self.

There's the cultural thing to be considered as well, of him playing (not playing) in Japan.

Whereas there's ABSOLUTELY no doubt about his love for his life here in Aus.

Berisha is the ultimare 'Pantomine Player' :
- relishes & can actually thrive on being booed by opposition fan's
- BUT
- equally LOVES when being loved by his own.

That's why, whether you hated him or liked him
.... he was ALWAYS great to watch.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred