• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners Sign Macallister

I'm not overly pumped about this, but I do I believe we wouldn't have signed him if he is not up to it. If Laurie can find a way to get Elrich, Caceres and McCallister playing together, it could be deadly...

skilbeck

There is a way but it will also depend on the distribution from the centre i.e. Hutch, Jedi, Porter and Owens are the key here, we do however need that attack option in the middle because using the wings all the time will eventually get predictable unless either/both Caceres and Elrich are in a free role. This free wing role is how Kwasnik adds to the Mariners IMO so maybe Elrich or Caceres can play in the middle

FFC Mariner

Maybe he is considering Kwasaldinho as an out and out striker???

Possibly............

Danny/A N other

Ossie Boogs Wilko Heff

Caceres Jedi Hutcho Elrich

MacAllister or Simon plus Saso or Kwas

Thats a top 2 side IMHO

skilbeck

Greenpoleffc said:
Maybe he is considering Kwasaldinho as an out and out striker???

Possibly............

Danny/A N other

Ossie Boogs Wilko Heff

Caceres Jedi Hutcho Elrich

MacAllister or Simon plus Saso or Kwas

Thats a top 2 side IMHO

Caceres and Elrich are each on the other side as for Macallister and Simon, I reckon Sasho and Mrdja will get the start over those 2 if we re-sign Mrdja, that said as soon as Mrdja injures himself again Macallister will get the start

jaypee

Its an interesting one

I mean the enigma (Kwas) could have played up front.

I still think the big thing we have is that we now have guys who can cross the ball. What we still need is a Creative Midfielder who can lay them on. Get me one of those and it won't matter who is up front (Look at Allsop and Fred in V2 and Brosque and Juni in season 3).
Fact is in this league and ordinary striker can be made to look world class with the addition of a world class Creative Mid. Get us one of them and we win the league again......

brett

Danny

Ossie  Boogs    Wilko    Heff
            Jedi
                      Hutch
Elrich      Sasho              Caceres
                  Macca

If Sasho can develop the creative ball-playing side of his game we could get around the lack of a playmaker by going a hybrid 4-5-1. Alternatively, Greggo or Kwas could play off Macca. We could switch it up and play through the middle if our crossing game gets predictable/nullified.

We've got options and depth in the front two thirds, which is why we won the premiership. We could use some solid alternatives, rather than just cover, down the back as well.

skilbeck

I reckon a fluid 4-4-2 like Brazil did in the world cup could work with the players we have now assuming that Elrich and Caceres can play in a role similar to Kaka and Ronaldinho. i.e. positioned wide but more or less in a free role. That way we can have 2 central/defensive midfielders (Jedinak and Hutch or maybe Porter) to cover for Heffernan and Osman playing as wingbacks. This is how id play the side. I reckon a fluid 4-4-2 like that is something Lawrie would play, though it would depend on the creativity of Elrich and Caceres

------------------Danny/Trott/Redmayne/Crawley/God/empty box
Osman------Wilkinson-----Boogaard----Heffernan
--\/----------Jedinak--Hutchinson----------\/
---<< Elrich >>---------------<< Caceres >>
-------------Petrovski----Mrdja/Macallister

/\  \/  << and >> indicates player movements

graaant

I like the 4-5-1 but I highly doubt that McKinna would play anything other than a 442 full time.
I don't mind the 4-4-2 you've got there Skillbeck and it could really work, Caceres and Elrich can both be very creative players when they're "on", which of course, when they're "off" could be terrible.
If Elrich and Caceres can both get full pre-seasons under their belts, they should be in good shape for this and hopefully start to really gel with the rest of the squad.

Ursus

You never know, with Caceras and Elrich Hutchi may become a little more creative and start working some interesting combinations with Skillbecks 442.

I also think Greenpoleffc might be on track with kwassy moving back into a striker's role. He seemed to have no trouble finding the target from playing out wide, could be worth finding out if he can now nail it from in front. Could be handy.
Good to have options.

I was also wondering how he would go as a wingback? He has the pace and that is where we are thin.
Didn't Heff used to be a striker?

FMMH

I'd like to see

Keeper

Wilko  Boogs  Heff

Elrich  Jedi Hutch Caceres

Mrdja      Sash

Macca

S

soccersensei

I like Brett's idea of maybe potentially using Sasho as a playmaker. Also Kwassie may indeed be ready now to move upfront.

Also can't help but note that I've never seen a single mention of Owens featuring in anyones lineups since the V3 GF.
HOLD YOUR HORSES.... I'm not after all the why he's not's - Rather that I suspect Lawrie may well still be looking to G,O for a start even with the addition of Caceres and Elrich...

P

Pete

My own views about Macallister signing are simply wait and see....

The caravan that was once a Chesney - NSL circus is now a Winnebago - HAL. It may well have rolled right past players like Macallister and we won't know it til he plays a few games.

If he works, great! If not he's taking up a wasted squad spot.

~Floss~

soccersensei said:
Also can't help but note that I've never seen a single mention of Owens featuring in anyones lineups since the V3 GF.
HOLD YOUR HORSES.... I'm not after all the why he's not's - Rather that I suspect Lawrie may well still be looking to G,O for a start even with the addition of Caceres and Elrich...

Well, I thought I had an answer but when I read it back with your quote at the top I realised I was just supporting your observation.

Assuming Elrich will be better than he was for the bulk of last season for Wellington, I'd also start with Hutch, Elrich and Caceres (if available) in my first-choice starting line-up.  Greg-O (and also Kwas) could potentially be able to sub for any of these 3.

IMO with Hutch on the park I would do either of these two midfield formations, probably starting with the one on the left:

---------Jedi---Hutch--------               OR              ------------Jedi--------------
Elrich----------------Caceres                                Elrich-----Hutch-----Caceres

In shape 1 I would only use Greg-O (or Kwas) to replace Elrich or Caceres. However in shape 2 you could also use Greg-O (or perhaps Kwas) to replace Hutch as well. Obviously Hutch is my first choice assuming everyone's equally fit.

If Elrich turns out to be disappointing, Greg-O could get the nod ahead of him, so the key to Greg-O getting a start in a fully-fit line-up could be his form relative to Elrich's.

skilbeck

DJ said:
skilbeck said:
Porter would be a backup for Hutch or Jedi

Porter has more chance with a gig at RB IMO

who else do you have in mind as a cover for those 2. They are both moderate suspension risks and will miss a game or 2 each from suspension besides if O Grady doesnt hit form and we dont sign anyone else Jedi would become our 3rd or 4th choice stopper. and besides it is Porters natural position according to the club and everyone on here. i reckon Porter will get a go at CM this year

Deej

skilbeck said:
DJ said:
skilbeck said:
Porter would be a backup for Hutch or Jedi

Porter has more chance with a gig at RB IMO

who else do you have in mind as a cover for those 2. They are both moderate suspension risks and will miss a game or 2 each from suspension besides if O Grady doesnt hit form and we dont sign anyone else Jedi would become our 3rd or 4th choice stopper. and besides it is Porters natural position according to the club and everyone on here. i reckon Porter will get a go at CM this year

well when Gumps goes it will free up some coin for another central attacking midfielder, Hutch and Mile will battle out the other midfield spot.  I also think Lawrie will strengthen our defence with someone who can go left as well as central

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred