• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariners FFA Cup Thread

Gratis

Further, we did quite well in preseason games the last few years...look how that turned out in terms of our FFA cup campaign and aleague seasons.

In all honesty my guess is the club and/or MMM have written off the FFA cup with the plan on focusing on being competitive during the season. That said, preseason training has commenced and the lions share of the learing, progression and work occurs outside of the preseason games during training. Preseason games are good for benchmarking, game fitness and applying what has been learnt in training under real pressure. But it doesn't mean you can't do a lot without one.

Big Al

Sorry @Gratis but nothing replicates game play.

Both match fitness and speed of the game can’t be replicated in training especially after a couple of months off.

Offsider

I don't buy that preseason games are the only way to prepare a team and that not having a couple under the belt months out before the season starts - when your team isn't yet assembled - is the end of your campaign.
I stated clearly when I was guessing in my post, and your entire reply appears based on assumptions. How's the weather up there on your high horse?

Thank you ??? ............. in future It might be better if you don’t read my posts. I didn’t say what you think you thought I said ............ but I did point out that a couple of teams, far superior to ccm, I think it is safe to assume that Chelsea are a superior and more successful club than an a-league spoon repeater don’t you agree??? ................and are preparing their teams in what is regarded as good coaching practice (that is not an assumption that is a fact). I accept the assumption, based on the facts of team not assembled yet, players still crocked, that ccm are not going to respect the ffa cup and indeed the a-league and are preparing for the season in a way saving their pennies. I do not regard that as an opinion worthy of your “high horse “ comment. I am gutted by the decision by management, for whatever reason, have decided to delay assembling the team in time to compete in the ffa cup.
Assumptions /guessing ............... it seems it is ok for you to guess as long as you declare you are guessing ??? ......... where as you seem to think that my assumptions are baseless ??? ........... fine by me. There are none more blind than those that refuse to see.
I post to try and get answers for what is going on. Some don’t cotton on to my sarcasm. I enjoy sarcasm even when directed back at me....... but you are wrong. I am not on my high horse ........ it is a unicorn .:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Well I’ve give up giving a flying f**k about the Cup..if it’s good enough for the club

Forum Phoenix

I don't buy that preseason games are the only way to prepare a team and that not having a couple under the belt months out before the season starts - when your team isn't yet assembled - is the end of your campaign.
I stated clearly when I was guessing in my post, and your entire reply appears based on assumptions. How's the weather up there on your high horse?

Agree with you Gratis. BA's right that pre season games are an important part obviously. But we're not going to go into the season without several games under our belt. And while I always want to see us do well, there is daylight between the importance of winning a cup game or two as opposed to getting the season off to a strong start. That's what I'm banking their focus is on also. Considering the shakeup and clean out. It should be TBF. We're far from a settled side yet.

That said, I'm sure our current squad will be hungry to cause an upset and knock out the reds. But as to pre season games... right now from what I can see we have key players still coming back to health and we are still looking to sign other key players. So games would only have limited value right now and can genuinely distract from other prep. There would be a HUGE amount of valuable things be working on in house... Like how to actually attack for one, or having more than one tactic you can utilise... hell even just consistently good set pieces would be an enormous improvement.

So I really think the wise route is to be a little more patient on this one. I don't think Mulvey and Monty are even remotely confused about what they're doing. They understand periodisation and will not be neglecting those aspects that BA rightly pointed out are very hard to simulate other than by playing real games. But if (and I know this naturally rankles) we ignore the cup, we do still have ample time to get our periodisation and prep right, that includes enough games to ensure sharpness and match fitness.

Wombat

Thank you ??? ............. in future It might be better if you don’t read my posts. I didn’t say what you think you thought I said ............ but I did point out that a couple of teams, far superior to ccm, I think it is safe to assume that Chelsea are a superior and more successful club than an a-league spoon repeater don’t you agree??? ................and are preparing their teams in what is regarded as good coaching practice (that is not an assumption that is a fact). I accept the assumption, based on the facts of team not assembled yet, players still crocked, that ccm are not going to respect the ffa cup and indeed the a-league and are preparing for the season in a way saving their pennies. I do not regard that as an opinion worthy of your “high horse “ comment. I am gutted by the decision by management, for whatever reason, have decided to delay assembling the team in time to compete in the ffa cup.
Assumptions /guessing ............... it seems it is ok for you to guess as long as you declare you are guessing ??? ......... where as you seem to think that my assumptions are baseless ??? ........... fine by me. There are none more blind than those that refuse to see.
I post to try and get answers for what is going on. Some don’t cotton on to my sarcasm. I enjoy sarcasm even when directed back at me....... but you are wrong. I am not on my high horse ........ it is a unicorn .:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Be careful how you sit on it mate!

Offsider

Be careful how you sit on it mate!

I could tell you that I learnt very early to mount it from the rear :naughty:.......... but you might take it the wrong way ;).
Sometimes I take myself too seriously ............ probably why the white horse comment ..... eh ???

localpom

Will be interesting to see the line up. If no Cisse, Golec and Aspro we are pretty stretched at the back. Good opportunity for the likes of Melling, Berry, Shabow, Gameiro etc to make a claim. I'm sure there will be a couple of signings prior to that but we will basically be fielding the full squad that is fit.

Wombat

I could tell you that I learnt very early to mount it from the rear :naughty:.......... but you might take it the wrong way ;).
Sometimes I take myself too seriously ............ probably why the white horse comment ..... eh ???

Haha.
I'm just worried at your age you might jump on the wrong end by mistake, especially while riding back from Aldi.

Fadetoblack944

Most likely going to be a rough night on Wednesday. Hope the fresh faces can breathe a bit of life into the team. Looking forward to seeing a competitive match again. Even though I will probably not be thinking that on Thursday morning

Offsider

Agree with you Gratis. BA's right that pre season games are an important part obviously. But we're not going to go into the season without several games under our belt. And while I always want to see us do well, there is daylight between the importance of winning a cup game or two as opposed to getting the season off to a strong start. That's what I'm banking their focus is on also. Considering the shakeup and clean out. It should be TBF. We're far from a settled side yet.

That said, I'm sure our current squad will be hungry to cause an upset and knock out the reds. But as to pre season games... right now from what I can see we have key players still coming back to health and we are still looking to sign other key players. So games would only have limited value right now and can genuinely distract from other prep. There would be a HUGE amount of valuable things be working on in house... Like how to actually attack for one, or having more than one tactic you can utilise... hell even just consistently good set pieces would be an enormous improvement.

So I really think the wise route is to be a little more patient on this one. I don't think Mulvey and Monty are even remotely confused about what they're doing. They understand periodisation and will not be neglecting those aspects that BA rightly pointed out are very hard to simulate other than by playing real games. But if (and I know this naturally rankles) we ignore the cup, we do still have ample time to get our periodisation and prep right, that includes enough games to ensure sharpness and match fitness.

You make some good points ........... mainly in regard to season prep.......... not in regard to being competitive and hohouring the licence.

bikinigirl

. i am going to timidly (stupidly) offer another view

. although i understand the comments about building match fitness, etc, etc and there being no substitute for competitive minutes in terms of preparation - i also remember enough of the typical pre-season game to understand there may be alternatives

. most pre-season games involve wholesale changes to either/or both players and tactics ... so the value in terms of building match fitness and/or familiarity with your team mates appears limited to the uneducated observer (like me)

. considering the short preparation time before this FFA cup game (i.e. it is early in our long pre-season) perhaps Mulvey feels that time is better spent and that a 'competitive' pre-season match may only serve as a distraction to his planned preparation (he has a lot to do). we know they have been training and the talk from Mulvey has been about players who want to be here and want to work - maybe internal games offers more to him than pre-season 'friendlies' at this time

. i know the squad is light in actual numbers but with trialists and academy/youth options it shouldn't be too hard to set up regular internal matches. these matches can be played for whatever length and intensity Mulvey desires and considering that he would be controlling the formation and tactics of both sides maybe that is what he feels is needed at this stage

. to suggest that M&M (Mulvey and Monty) are not interested in winning the FFA cup game suggests that all Mulvey has said to date, the rumours of his supposed arrogance and what we have seen from Monty over many seasons is all wrong. so i believe they will be taking the match very seriously and only considering winning

. of course Charlesworth will see the silver lining in not winning but i honestly don't think he would want to lose any more than M&M ... or us

. being hungry and competitive will be a massive improvement over how we finished last season and maybe the unknown can serve as a weapon against an Adelaide team which was fit and well drilled last season. i am intrigued to see how we go and hope to see positives signs in our performance regardless of the result

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred