• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Rowdy

Reddy says Mariners ousters will be judged:

Central Coast Mariners castaway Liam Reddy is keen to move on with Western Sydney Wanderers but not before having a little dig at his former club.

Reddy spent nearly two months in the A-League wilderness after being stood down by the Mariners over alleged disciplinary issues, told he was no longer wanted and eventually released from his contract last week.

Having now signed with the table-topping Wanderers until the end of the season, the veteran goalkeeper is more concerned with chasing silverware than reflecting on the tumultuous period.

However he made a slight reference to his exit from Tony Walmsley's last-placed outfit.

"Obviously with my situation it was a little bit messy there," Reddy told AAP.

"But I've moved on and the people that made those decisions will be judged, probably at the end of the year with where they finish and if it was a right or wrong decision.

"I'm in a different direction at a different club.

"They have come out and said what direction they want to go, and that doesn't involve me anymore so it doesn't really apply to me."

Reddy, who will train with the Wanderers until he's available for selection when the transfer window opens in January, said he's retained some close friends from the Mariners, where he spent two seasons.

His main focus now will be challenging first-choice keeper Andrew Redmayne for a starting spot.

"I'm looking forward now and over the moon," Reddy said.

"I've gone to a team that is top of the table and I feel that is going to bring the best out of me as a player.

"They're a very professional club, and they expect the best."

Rowdy

Redmayne's waited many years and at many club's to get his 1st Keeper spot, he won't just roll over for this perennial fcuk-up.

I just hope whomever was the leaker comes to light & if it's Reddy then that WILL be his legacy.

A player that betrayed his teammates. What a way to be remembered.

Rowdy

6 New Year's resolutions to boost the A-League in 2016:

Article By: Kristian Dwyer; FourFourTwo
http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/users/kristian-dwyer#:ZYU0xoZaTMQl-A

While the champagne flows tonight to welcome in 2016, it’s perhaps prudent for the Australian footballing fraternity to make some New Year’s resolutions. Forget refraining from junk food and giving up smoking. Here are some goals the A-League might want to adopt before the clock strikes midnight.

2. A strong Mariners is good for the heart… and the A-League

gettyimages-4997127181_zpsbu1ydirm.jpg

There’s no tip toeing around it – the Mariners have always been a club that teetered on the edge of oblivion while providing quality football to the Central Coast faithful. Whether it was stories about the manager buying roast chickens for the players or the fact that FFA owned a slice of the club at its birth, there’s always been a less than stable existence in Gosford.

Their Centre of Excellence was intended to provide not just a hub for developing talent on the coast but also a form of income. This has yet to come to fruition and now it is starting to take a toll on the pitch. Long gone are the heroes of yesteryear in John Hutchinson, Alex Wilkinson, Patrick Zwaanswijk and Daniel McBreen.

Instead the club is left with a struggling group of youngsters without leadership and experience that find themselves adrift at the bottom of the ladder. One can only hope that during the January window they can get some talent into the club to help lead the way. While the ‘moneyball’ Mariners might make fiscal sense for the club, whenever there’s been trouble afoot off-field, a successful Mariners on the park has always made quality of life at Central Coast Stadium a little easier to bear.

Read the other 5 resolutions here;

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/6-new-years-resolutions-boost-league-2016#4FQTKp2rlKXQIUgq.99

Last edited:

Rowdy

"Kristian Dwyers" said:
Whether it was stories about the manager buying roast chickens for the players

WTF ??? Chickens ???

Is this Kristian Dwyers getting his research muddled with the Summer's & Con Constantine handing out trays of mango's in lieu of 'player's bonuses'.

Or am I confused as to what came first ?
The Chicken or the Mango ???

Kristian Dwyers said:
or the fact that FFA owned a slice of the club at its birth

And this ???
Wasn't it a consortium headed up by Merchant Banker, Lyle Gorman.

pjennings

I'm pretty sure that that the roast chicken story is correct. Lawrie wanted to control the diet a little so they would have breakfast and lunch together to make sure the squad was eating correctly. As for the FFA owning a slice - I've never heard that before.

bilo

The FFA still own shares in the Mariners today. It is easy enough to find out who the shareholders are. Just do a company search. The FFA still hold shares today as do the local association CCF. Charlesworth owns 65% of the football club and there are a number of other shareholders including Lawrie.

Charlesworth owns 100% of the COE development. The COE and the football club are seperate companies.

FFC Mariner

So what's 65% of the football license worth? Not a lot I'd guess.

Running costs to subsidise the losses would be the stumbling block for any community purchase.

Let him keep his coe and the name and progressively purchase the license.

bikinigirl

So what's 65% of the football license worth? Not a lot I'd guess.

Running costs to subsidise the losses would be the stumbling block for any community purchase.

Let him keep his coe and the name and progressively purchase the license.

. sorry i haven't quite followed you there ... are you suggesting 'the community' to progressively purchase the licence?

. could you please elaborate ... on your meaning and the how it might be possible?

FFC Mariner

. sorry i haven't quite followed you there ... are you suggesting 'the community' to progressively purchase the licence?

. could you please elaborate ... on your meaning and the how it might be possible?

Thats exactly what I mean - however, who is going to put their hands in their pockets initially AND to fund the losses year on year.

Shaun said at the pregame that the next TV contract fixes a lot of things - in that case I cant see MC letting go.

Shame as community ownership has always been the logical next step for CCM

true believer

Atomic

Thats exactly what I mean - however, who is going to put their hands in their pockets initially AND to fund the losses year on year.

Shaun said at the pregame that the next TV contract fixes a lot of things - in that case I cant see MC letting go.

Shame as community ownership has always been the logical next step for CCM
When's the next TV deal expected to be announced?

dibo

This deal ends in 2017. Negotiations have probably already started.

ATM the game as a whole (not just the HAL) gets ~$40m a year, of which some $26m out so goes to clubs. The target is apparently $80m a year. The players have been promised 30% of any increase will go to the salary cap boosting their incomes.

But there's room for the clubs to get more too, to steady the bottom lines as well as funding the academy and NYL and WWL setups.

This would be a genuine game changer. Clubs would no longer cost a fortune to own, so things like community models suddenly become viable, but at the same time investors (even public investors like local governments, hint hint...) can look at running clubs as a brand building exercise knowing it's not just a bottomless pit.

Edit: in the new deal, there HAS to be money for the grassroots too. At least abolishing the National Registration Fee (which draws ~$8m from mums, dads and kids all over the country to find the FFA).

What's the problem? Simple. Crowds are down, ratings are down, we're going backwards. Foxtel limits our reach, so we're not growing our market.

There was a piece I read in the last day or two arguing that we desperately need FTA to grow the game or we'll stagnate. It argued we may need to sacrifice revenue on this coming deal in order to build the game for a massive deal in the next cycle.

Lots of food for thought. If Gallop gets us a good deal with quality mainstream FTA exposure plus a guarantee of all games live on STV if not on FTA plus good highlights packages etc. along with a good yearly income then he'll have earned his million bucks a year.

Timmah

Wish Lawrie had the $$$ to own us 100%.

Out of interest, why?

He's the mayor of the city and there's about to be a merger so one way or another he's gonna be very busy - and if he doesn't stay at council his aspirations to be in state or federal politics are already evident from recent elections at those levels.

He's also part of the ABC commentary team for most matches as I understand too - he has enough commitments without having him somehow own the club.

Rowdy

He'd have to embezzle quite a bit from GCC to be able to personally afford the Mariners. :p

Maybe some Chinese 'developer' he meets through council will buy CCM and gift Lawrie 'shares' that he knows nothing about ......... a'la Doug Eatons wife. :cool:

Last edited:

Rowdy

Wish Lawrie had the $$$ to own us 100%.

Lawrie's campaign manager and financial backer John Singleton WOULD make a great owner of CCM. Loves the Coast has business interests here already.

Incorporate the COE into the deal as well and Singo would build us the perfect 'Mariners Pub' at Tuggerah, taking into count his expertise in having a considerable portfolio of licensed hotels over the years.

.....and his love of a beer :cheers:

VicMariner

Out of interest, why?

He's the mayor of the city and there's about to be a merger so one way or another he's gonna be very busy - and if he doesn't stay at council his aspirations to be in state or federal politics are already evident from recent elections at those levels.

He's also part of the ABC commentary team for most matches as I understand too - he has enough commitments without having him somehow own the club.
Because he knows, loves and understands the club and it's supporters.

I don't think it's practical but just wishful thinking. IF he had the money he would do right by the club.*

*If MC had more money he might do a better job too.

Forum Phoenix

If MC proves he will do what is required to make us competitive by investing properly in our squad and gives up any notion if relocating us, then im happy.

I just want a competitive team and to focus on some stability over the next decade and then if we're profitable he can sell us on to someone if he likes. But not keen to see a transfer of ownership at present.

midfielder

Lawrie's campaign manager and financial backer John Singleton WOULD make a great owner of CCM. Loves the Coast has business interests here already.

Incorporate the COE into the deal as well and Singo would build us the perfect 'Mariners Pub' at Tuggerah, taking into count his expertise in having a considerable portfolio of licensed hotels over the years.

.....and his love of a beer :cheers:

Have often wondered why he and Gerry Harvey don't buy us ... he always wanted a RL team on the Coast and I honestly believed his early backing of us was to try and force the hand of the NRL ... then he kinda fell under Lawrie's spell and has been a great supporter but has in the past said he does not want to own us ...

I agree he would make an excellent owner and his marketing skills are about the best in the country he would get many more in ... Also the combined cost of the COE and the club may be a tad more than he has spare ...

However a combined ownership with Gerry Harvey IMO would be ideal those two know how to get a crowd and sponsors and have media contacts to die for ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred