• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Timmah

I was told that Singo stumped up money when the super payments were overdue.
The person who told me said that Singo told him.
I expressed my surprise but he insisted it was true.

Who to believe?
"I was told"

The single most reliable statement on an internet forum o_O

Pirate Pete

"I was told"

The single most reliable statement on an internet forum o_O

Yeah I know, just hearsay. I could phrase it differently if you like.
Some bloke down at Killcare beach was telling me that.........

I asked the bloke how he knew and he said Singo told him. I haven't seen Singo down at Killcare
for a while, but if I do see him I'll try and ask him myself. I just thought it was a bit odd. I was
under the impression that Singo had nothing to do with the Mariners.

Big Al

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...y/news-story/2f291420d52b8799c2375d80778c7c1b

An interesting read about a plan hatched to expand into south east Asia that Charlesworth played a major role in

WHY WAS SMITH LOOKING INTO AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL

He had a previous relationship with Central Coast majority owner and chairman Michael Charlesworth via Richard Creitzman, one of Roman Abramovich’s key aides, who was in the helicopter that flew over London as the Russian decided whether or not to buy Chelsea.

“It (the Mariners) was shipping cash at the time, but he got to love the Mariners,” Smith said.

“He loved the supporters. He wanted someone in football who knew how to run the business, make money out of it, protect the club from the ravages of people who prey on football clubs.”

JoyfulPenguin

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...y/news-story/2f291420d52b8799c2375d80778c7c1b

An interesting read about a plan hatched to expand into south east Asia that Charlesworth played a major role in

WHY WAS SMITH LOOKING INTO AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL

He had a previous relationship with Central Coast majority owner and chairman Michael Charlesworth via Richard Creitzman, one of Roman Abramovich’s key aides, who was in the helicopter that flew over London as the Russian decided whether or not to buy Chelsea.

“It (the Mariners) was shipping cash at the time, but he got to love the Mariners,” Smith said.

“He loved the supporters. He wanted someone in football who knew how to run the business, make money out of it, protect the club from the ravages of people who prey on football clubs.”
Money, money, money that's all nearly every professional league in the world game is about.

Would expanding the A-League into South East Asia develop better Australian players and a stronger national team?
No.

Would it create more Australian clubs for youngsters to look up to an be inspired by?
No.

Would it line the pockets of those executives at the FFA who gave themselves a 300,000 bonus when the Matildias and the W-League players aren't paid a living wage?
Yes.

This is not about growing our game but simple greed. The salary cap has been weakened so much already, slowly dividing the league through finances. Equality and the toughest competition each week creates the best players and spectacle. The need for our salary cap is imperative, something like this would demolish it. The champions of Australia should be determined by the guile, skill of coaches, recruiters and players not by whose owner is willing to stump up the most cash. We need to focus on delivering clubs to every slightly major centre in Australia and giving every young player a chance rather than focusing on generating cash flow or filling Tim Cahill's pockets.

FFC Mariner

Pan Asian premier league with a local feeder league?

Good Idea .

More money = higher quality = better players.

adz

Staff member
Just throwing ideas out there, could be way off the mark - more money would mean more money for a second tier. The second tier would be about bringing locals through and then the best of that lot goes through to the top tier and plays with and against better quality players?

VicMariner

Money, money, money that's all nearly every professional league in the world game is about.
That's a fact of life now. The more money, the more relevant and competitive.

Would expanding the A-League into South East Asia develop better Australian players and a stronger national team?
No.
How do you know it won't? A strong league with quality teams would likely drive up player quality.
Would it create more Australian clubs for youngsters to look up to an be inspired by?
No.
It might not create more Aussie clubs but it might make the existing ones look more important and impressive. That in it self could attract more kids.
Would it line the pockets of those executives at the FFA who gave themselves a 300,000 bonus when the Matildias and the W-League players aren't paid a living wage?
Yes.
??? When women's football generates the income of the men's game they should get better pay. No special treatment before then.
This is not about growing our game but simple greed. The salary cap has been weakened so much already, slowly dividing the league through finances. Equality and the toughest competition each week creates the best players and spectacle. The need for our salary cap is imperative, something like this would demolish it. The champions of Australia should be determined by the guile, skill of coaches, recruiters and players not by whose owner is willing to stump up the most cash. We need to focus on delivering clubs to every slightly major centre in Australia and giving every young player a chance rather than focusing on generating cash flow or filling Tim Cahill's pockets.
Football is not the number one code in Aus. We are, for the foreseeable future, going to struggle for cash. An Asian league might not be the answer, but it is worth a careful look.

JoyfulPenguin

That's a fact of life now. The more money, the more relevant and competitive.

How do you know it won't? A strong league with quality teams would likely drive up player quality.

It might not create more Aussie clubs but it might make the existing ones look more important and impressive. That in it self could attract more kids.
??? When women's football generates the income of the men's game they should get better pay. No special treatment before then.

Football is not the number one code in Aus. We are, for the foreseeable future, going to struggle for cash. An Asian league might not be the answer, but it is worth a careful look.
The six FFA executives (Gallop and co) have themselves bonuses of $300,000 each last financial year (read the FFA's financial report) that money could have been used to give a minimum wage to the W-League or Matildas. I agree that the W-League should earn it's keep but should be first in line instead of FFA executives when any money is available. We will never compete financially with the big European leagues, China, India or the US so we need to do something different. We need to build from the grassroots by subsidising player fees, how many kids can't afford to play for their local club? We need to foster the talent we have in our backyard not yearn for superstars from abroad. We need to invest in our coaching methodology at the bottom and educate every coach to be able to teach their club best. We need to have an approach where players have security in their contracts and build a league that showcases our Australian talent and gives our players a contest week in week out. We don't make our national team our Australian players better by including South East Asian sides because the talent pool doesn't get bigger and the sides in South East Asia aren't even on the same level as ours. Money does not equal better play if it did China or Qatar would be world champions. All it does is bring in better foreigners not enhance our own talent pool.

nebakke

Why does the W-league have to earn it's keep before being taken seriously when the A-league has barely been able to do the same yet?
It's a chicken/egg thing that's really becoming a bugbear for me now. The FFA and the A-league was formed ostensibly to improve the quality of Australian football... if that is still the intent then you gabber to accept that you have to throw money at it to grow the game.
That's been done to the men's game, to an extend that's starting to make it look profitable but how can we ever expect to develop high level female footballers that can help sell the sport, if we're barely paying the best of them but still expecting them to behave and develop like full timers?
If you want a good quality W-league, you have to first support it well enough financially that the players can quit their jobs and train full time. the rest will follow as the quality improves and the pathway becomes apparent.

Forum Phoenix

Yep. Would like to see some of that new TV money going into making the W League a lot more serious.

I want our footballing culture to grow and it will do so a lot more on the back of developing the women's game as well. Personally would enjoy double headers, and think it's great when all the effort of getting to game days to be rewarded with two matches instead of one. Can see a lot of potential upsides in dovetailing them.

If it wasn't for the pitch I'd say play the youth first also. Love making a day of it - like you can with park football etc.

finally retired

I want our footballing culture to grow and it will do so a lot more on the back of developing the women's game as well. Personally would enjoy double headers, and think it's great when all the effort of getting to game days to be rewarded with two matches instead of one. Can see a lot of potential upsides in dovetailing them.
If it wasn't for the pitch I'd say play the youth first also. Love making a day of it - like you can with park football etc.

Totally agree FP. Double headers would expose the womens game to so many more people....and could make a tv deal more attractive...if the station has to setup for the mens then there is no extra effort involved in being setup for the womens game beforehand.....it could be aired live (if scheduling permits) or another time as a package. the more people exposed to our game, the better....

Timmah

I could be wrong but a quick look at the draw tells me there are a heap more WWL/HAL double headers this season - including our game at GIO next Saturday and another CCM game paired with Canberra later in the season.

sydmariner

I could be wrong but a quick look at the draw tells me there are a heap more WWL/HAL double headers this season - including our game at GIO next Saturday and another CCM game paired with Canberra later in the season.
Next week Canberra United play Melbourne $ity @ 3PM before our game @ 5:35 PM & The following week (Nov 20) The Scum play Perth @ 2:30 PM before we play the Scum @ 5PM.

Timmah

There's also a WWL game before ours tomorrow at Coopers, and Perth v WSW after the HAL game tomorrow night in Perth, too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred