• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Forum Phoenix

We could do much worse than sign Roy on a 3 year deal.

At a guess, most clubs won't offer beyond two for a 31 year old striker. Takes him through till he's 34. Decent bit of security for an older player and his new family, and there's no way he won't be worth at least having in the squad in 3 years time – though I'd back him to still be banging them in and could easily be a Monty and a very valuable player for us even at 35.

Last edited:

Big Al

At a guess, most clubs won't offer beyond two for a 31 year old striker. Takes him through till he's 34. Decent bit of security for an older player and his new family, and there's no way he won't be worth at least having in the squad in 3 years time – though I'd back him to still be banging them in and could easily be a Monty and a very valuable player for us even at 35.
2 yrs for me. Can always resign him again later

Timmah

Always a risk with an older player that putting them on a longer deal could result in us having someone well beyond their usefulness date, if that makes sense. 2 year deal would be fine. By that time PO would have rebuilt the squad and there'd be sufficient experience to back the boys.

Forum Phoenix

Big Al and Timmah, I understand the logic of two years, that's half my point. He will likely get similar or better offers elsewhere. I know BA you said you don't really care if we lose anyone, but I really think we should keep Roy. So my point in saying three is that it's very hard for us to compete with other clubs - have heard we get routinely outbid by 20-40k on targets. And we don't have a big club lure obviously... there's more risk to 3 years, but I said three because I fear it might be one of the best bargaining chips we could probably put on the table.

Hate to see Roy go to SFC just to sit on the bench and swell Arnies squad for want of an extra 20k like Matty Simon reportedly did.

Big Al

Big Al and Timmah, I understand the logic of two years, that's half my point. He will likely get similar or better offers elsewhere. I know BA you said you don't really care if we lose anyone, but I really think we should keep Roy. So my point in saying three is that it's very hard for us to compete with other clubs - have heard we get routinely outbid by 20-40k on targets. And we don't have a big club lure obviously... there's more risk to 3 years, but I said three because I fear it might be one of the best bargaining chips we could probably put on the table.

Hate to see Roy go to SFC just to sit on the bench and swell Arnies squad for want of an extra 20k like Matty Simon reportedly did.
At his age just to risky. He is good an I love watching him but he isn't an absolute must have (that maybe due to the service he gets but he still misses some easy one's like the rebound to put us up 3-1 against city).

He is to old for 3yrs. If he gets hurt we are stuffed for 3yrs. He would be one of higher earners I'd guess.

For a player like him who has bounced around so much 2yrs would make 4yrs here on the coast (maybe becomes a Monty) which is a lifetime for him.

Look at Faty at 34 becoming a lemon although the knee injury was bad luck

Forum Phoenix

But that worse case is what insurance is for and his injury track record is excellent. You have to make decisions based on the now not on what may or may not be. While I agree in principle re Faty and older players. age is not always the key indicator of injury and career - look at Monty vs Adelson.

And this is the HAL I think signing a high quality 33 year old striker for a year is not too big a deal. (Especially for us) Which in two years is what he'd be.

I think it all comes down to how much you value Roy, if you think he's average. I think what you say fits.

But I think Roy is one of the best strikers in the HAL, that they are hard to come by, and that if we can get him to play out his career with us it would be a very good piece of business. So if that meant a bit riskier 3 year deal than a 2 I think the risk is outweighed by the gains.

If Roy was st Sydney or MV he'd be murdeing the goal scoring charts. I suspect he knows that and so do they.

For mine he's very clearly got two more good years in him - but given his injury record and engine - I think 4 is not at all unreasonable. Then you have the fact he's settled here and an asset off the park etc...
And I think a 3 year deal is not very crazy.

Good discussion btw

pjennings

Give him a 2 + 1 deal. If he meets criteria in season 2 he gets season 3 with a bump in pay. Protects the club while still giving Roy the long term security that he may be after. BTW FP - I agree that he would be up near the top scorers with better service. Hopefully we will sign him up along with a creative #10 that will increase his chances in the next month.

Big Al

But that worse case is what insurance is for and his injury track record is excellent. You have to make decisions based on the now not on what may or may not be. While I agree in principle re Faty and older players. age is not always the key indicator of injury and career - look at Monty vs Adelson.

And this is the HAL I think signing a high quality 33 year old striker for a year is not too big a deal. (Especially for us) Which in two years is what he'd be.

I think it all comes down to how much you value Roy, if you think he's average. I think what you say fits.

But I think Roy is one of the best strikers in the HAL, that they are hard to come by, and that if we can get him to play out his career with us it would be a very good piece of business. So if that meant a bit riskier 3 year deal than a 2 I think the risk is outweighed by the gains.

If Roy was st Sydney or MV he'd be murdeing the goal scoring charts. I suspect he knows that and so do they.

For mine he's very clearly got two more good years in him - but given his injury record and engine - I think 4 is not at all unreasonable. Then you have the fact he's settled here and an asset off the park etc...
And I think a 3 year deal is not very crazy.

Good discussion btw
Good discussion indeed. It's also good to actually want a player to stay
Still 2yrs for me, call me cautious.

He is on 6 goals with Ninkovic, Santalab and MACLAREN (WSW won't as Marquee- Rumoured). 4 behind Fornaroli and Berisha.

The same Maclaren in a top 3 side who is supposed to be the Socceroos next saviour, so as you say with some service what could he do.

But is that part of the master plan. Wait till we know what money we have, sign him then sign some one to feed him after we wrap him up;)

Forum Phoenix

I agree re McBreen, but I'm afraid he's already missed his opportunity to be as unsuccessful as Mrdja.

Though I guess it's all a matter of how you look at it...

Maybe we should be looking back at his time here and remembering him as the best paid fisherman on the Central Coast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred