• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Big Al

This could play in our hands this means clubs will be forced to play their foreign players and visa spots putting a squeeze on local players not wanting to be benched to make way for marquees . If the league continues the way it has it will stagnate.
The top aussie talent will still want to play for the big boys. They get paid and will win.
Will just be 5 good Aussies to go with the foreigners

City probably won’t be to worried as they are more interested in finding the next Mooy Azarni etc and aren’t about splashing the cash. The foreigners they have got are a bit hit and miss but when they hit they are really good.

The problem for us is City is taking what we want to be. They develop and give the you g players ago and have networks to move them on all while playing with quality foreigners to gelp them grow.

We are hoping 11 kids will inspire each other and that just doesn’t work

turbo

The new pink round kits are nice but jeez they’re expensive, and I think I saw a post saying 10% goes to charity but couldn’t find it again. If that’s the amount passed on I would be a lot more comfortable giving the 10er straight to charity and picking one up on a discount.

bikinigirl

I don’t think the idea of selling a visa spot is the worst thing we could do as long as the money is invested in to the squad and not used to offset the losses. For example if our current visa budget was 1.2m (just a made up figure) we’re talking around 240k each on average. But if we can get another 300k for a spot we can spend 1.5m between 4 players at an average of 375k. Hard to say which would be more effective but possibly better fit with our youth orientation.

of course if MC was to use that to reduce his input it’s just disadvantaging us.

. a valiant effort to see a silver lining but personally i would rate this ideology somewhere between 'you must be f**king joking' and 'no f**king way' - glad you came to a more realistic closing statement. Charlesworth re-investing a windfall in the squad :piralaugh: under those rules he wouldn't even be allowed to:
  • currently fox gift him the salary cap (and then some i believe) ... yet he spends some of this money elsewhere
  • how much 'extra' do you think another team will pay for another visa spot?
    • assuming they pay their visa players double what they pay the locals - they would still have to do this
    • if they then pay us extra for the privilege i assume it will only be a nominal amount (i.e. far less than the extra amount they spend on themselves)
    • Charlesworth is likely to take the nominal amount regardless - because a little money is better than no money (refer to McGlinchey's original departure for a well known and disastrous example)
  • the real benefit will not fall to us - it will fall to the other club's buying ability when it comes to local players, not the visa players:
    • the salary cap will remain in place for the local players
    • which means we have one more spot (or five) to fill with the same cap amount
    • our opponents have just bought themselves (perhaps for a nominal amount) the ability to spend more on their fewer local players
. in summary, it fits perfectly with our current predicament in the existing 'salary-capped' league and i think it is a f**king stupid idea

apologies for the less than sophisticated vernacular

bikinigirl

Wombat, I do not think MC manages to that level. I am pretty sure he would give the Club a budget and tell them to stay within it. End of his involvement.
In the past recruitment was then done in the main by the manager with who knows whose help with disastrous results.

. i know that you are taking the hopeful counterpoint at the moment ... and i wish that i could go back to sharing your optimism ... but i'm afraid i am broken too. whether MC manages at that level or not is largely irrelevant ... he appoints those that do make those decisions even if he isn't making them himself

. not only that ... i think at the time the poor recruitment decisions you mention were made ... one of his marquee consultants (Phelan*) would have been signing off on these deals [ i stand to be, grudgingly corrected]

* and i would also argue that any success through the youth setup owes more to Monty, Ken and Anton than anything Phelan may or may not have put in place if that is suggested as a benefit of his tenure

bikinigirl

The Central Coast Spoonies forever!

. The Spoonies :piralaugh:

. maybe there is a line of merchandise there ... you know what they say 'if you can't laugh about it ...'

. i had been thinking up my own slogan based on recent discussions, maybe it could replace 'for the badge':

Central Coast Mariners
A*league
A*pathetic

bikinigirl

This could play in our hands this means clubs will be forced to play their foreign players and visa spots putting a squeeze on local players not wanting to be benched to make way for marquees . If the league continues the way it has it will stagnate.

. i have already responded in a similar fashion ... and i apologise for all the consecutive posts ... but i think this is worth labouring because people so often don't grasp the real issue with the way salary cap exemptions impact other teams
  • our buying power in the local market will be diminished as we are capped but have more spaces to fill
  • 'their' buying power in the local market is improved as they have the same cap with less spaces to fill
. regardless of who gets squeezed out looking for minutes ... we will still be forced to find those willing to accept vastly lower wages. other than the very best local talent (the few that will be paid more to play alongside better foreign talent ... albeit against potentially weaker opposition), i struggle to see any advantage to the local game

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
So...the Nix will be wearing yellow cause we will be wearing their away strip with a hint of pink on our ground ...how’s that for a mind f**k .

Scotty

. The Spoonies :piralaugh:

. maybe there is a line of merchandise there ... you know what they say 'if you can't laugh about it ...'

. i had been thinking up my own slogan based on recent discussions, maybe it could replace 'for the badge':

Central Coast Mariners
A*league
A*pathetic
I was thinking that there could be an opportunity for a tourist attraction.

The Big Spoon outside the stadium. Perhaps also naming rights. Spoon Stadium.

Options for merch too. Could get players to sign spoons after each match.

It's so sad that we are even contemplating this.

marinermick

I was thinking that there could be an opportunity for a tourist attraction.

The Big Spoon outside the stadium. Perhaps also naming rights. Spoon Stadium.

Options for merch too. Could get players to sign spoons after each match.

It's so sad that we are even contemplating this.

Given some of the second half capitulations I’d say the Little Spoon is more appropriate than the Big Spoon.

Big Al

We need some thing to feed the muzz with.

Dare i say we might have another group in bay 16.

Come on you yellow and blue
A League spoonies

priorpeter

. seems to me like another bizarre marketing decision

. pink round where we predominantly wear black ... against a team coming from a country where their national teams are renown for wearing black ... but in this instance are likely to be wearing yellow (FFS)!

Pink round falls on international women’s day, so I can see why this date was chosen.
If memory serves, our pink rounds have focused on cancers predominantly affecting women.
This year it’s to raise funds for research and awareness of skin cancer - hence the black on the kit.

Anyway... let’s forget what the opposition are wearing and focus on the fact that this kit is absolute fire

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

. a valiant effort to see a silver lining but personally i would rate this ideology somewhere between 'you must be f**king joking' and 'no f**king way' - glad you came to a more realistic closing statement. Charlesworth re-investing a windfall in the squad :piralaugh: under those rules he wouldn't even be allowed to:
  • currently fox gift him the salary cap (and then some i believe) ... yet he spends some of this money elsewhere
  • how much 'extra' do you think another team will pay for another visa spot?
    • assuming they pay their visa players double what they pay the locals - they would still have to do this
    • if they then pay us extra for the privilege i assume it will only be a nominal amount (i.e. far less than the extra amount they spend on themselves)
    • Charlesworth is likely to take the nominal amount regardless - because a little money is better than no money (refer to McGlinchey's original departure for a well known and disastrous example)
  • the real benefit will not fall to us - it will fall to the other club's buying ability when it comes to local players, not the visa players:
    • the salary cap will remain in place for the local players
    • which means we have one more spot (or five) to fill with the same cap amount
    • our opponents have just bought themselves (perhaps for a nominal amount) the ability to spend more on their fewer local players
. in summary, it fits perfectly with our current predicament in the existing 'salary-capped' league and i think it is a f**king stupid idea

apologies for the less than sophisticated vernacular

I agree, terrible idea. Exactly the kind of thing Lowy feared would come.

Australia is simply not a big enough market to imitate other international models.

iMO what evolved in AFL and League that has worked for them is the cultivation of their own ‘Star system’ so too speak. Supported by both print and other media. and they’re almost entirely inoculated from the rest of the world.

I don’t know what I’m obviously missing, because I just don’t see how Australian football will we ever be able to attract enough sponsorship or broad cast license fees to create the kind of expensive premium brand competition that makes sense of having a league mostly comprised of foreign visa players.

I’d prefer they did the opposite. 2 visa spots only. And clubs contribute the rest of their visa spends to signing, training and marketing Australian talent. But hey my motivations are not purely winning or making money. So what the f**k do I know.

Forum Phoenix

. i have already responded in a similar fashion ... and i apologise for all the consecutive posts ... but i think this is worth labouring because people so often don't grasp the real issue with the way salary cap exemptions impact other teams
  • our buying power in the local market will be diminished as we are capped but have more spaces to fill
  • 'their' buying power in the local market is improved as they have the same cap with less spaces to fill
. regardless of who gets squeezed out looking for minutes ... we will still be forced to find those willing to accept vastly lower wages. other than the very best local talent (the few that will be paid more to play alongside better foreign talent ... albeit against potentially weaker opposition), i struggle to see any advantage to the local game

Agreed.

Pirate Pete

I’d prefer they did the opposite. 2 visa spots only. And clubs contribute the rest of their visa spends to signing, training and marketing Australian talent. But hey my motivations are not purely winning or making money. So what the f**k do I know.

I agree with this entirely. Obviously the powers that be think it's better to have more quality players.
But it's going to be a big f**k up. The bigger clubs will get bigger and the other clubs will die.
We'll end up with a six team competition.

pjennings

Apparently we almost signed Paul Ifill as a marquee before went to Wellington.

our first time is always special: Wellington Phoenix legends remember playoff debut
Andrew Voerman05:00, Feb 21 2020

1582187519097.jpg

The Wellington Phoenix's best season in the A-League almost never got started.

Ten years ago on Friday, they hosted Perth Glory in their first home playoff match, in front of a record crowd at Westpac Stadium.

It was a momentous occasion for the club – and for football in New Zealand, coming hot on the heels of the All Whites' World Cup playoff win against Bahrain three months earlier.

1582187519097.jpg

But would it have happened had Paul Ifill not arrived two weeks out from the start of the 2009-10 campaign?

As he tells it a decade later, the Phoenix were the first A-League club to offer him a deal, but not the first club he signed for.

"I was going to go to Central Coast as a marquee and that was all done," Ifill said.

"Then at the last minute, Central Coast pulled the plug, because Central Coast were part-owned by Sheffield United, who I used to play for, and they'd done a bit of a background check on me and Sheffield United had said 'Don't sign him, he's injury prone'."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/footb...ington-phoenix-legends-remember-playoff-debut

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred