• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Mariner stuff not worthy of a whole thread

Ozhammer

i am unsure how realistic that data on MC is though, as the net worth figure wouldn’t suggest he could own a football club.

on second thoughts, perhaps that explains things after all? :popcorn:

Ironbark

Seven straight losses, a ‘horrible performance’ – but the Mariners can’t sack their coach
Central Coast Mariners
  • March 2, 2020 6:00am
  • by Zac Rayson
For fans of the Central Coast Mariners, the last five seasons have been characterised by almost-constant disappointment.

Three wooden spoons – two of those in seasons where the side won just three of their 27 games – and never finishing higher than eighth.

This season promised more reason for optimism. A run to the FFA Cup semi-finals in pre-season was their strongest result in the competition since 2014.

There was surprise midfield star Milan Djuric and his pile-driver right boot. Young gun Samuel Silvera with fancy footwork to match his bold haircuts. Keeper Mark Birighitti delivering consistently exceptional performances between the sticks.

And guiding the lot, impressive former Matildas coach Alen Stajcic. Stajcic had delivered strong results for the Australian nationals women’s side before his ugly ousting.

Brought in to salvage the Mariners when Mike Mulvey was sacked after an 8-2 defeat, Stajcic delivered two wins from the final six matches of last season. It was enough to earn him a three-year contract; no other Mariners manager had lasted three years in the job since Graham Arnold left the Central Coast in 2013-14.

Despite a tightly limited budget, there have been purple patches this season. Performances were good – even if the goals didn’t always come. At times, the side has shown guts, determination, skill.

A remarkable 3-2 win in the 100th minute against Melbourne Victory embodied the sense of progress Stajcic has delivered – and had fans dreaming of a drought-busting finals appearance.

But things have turned sour in recent weeks. Since that victory, the Mariners have slipped to seven straight losses, dropping them like a stone to the bottom of the ladder.

In that time, the side has scored six goals and conceded a whopping 22, an average of over three per game. In six of the seven matches the opponent scored two or more goals. In five of the matches the opponent won by a margin of two or more goals.

Despite already beating last season’s tally of three wins (this side has four and a draw), the Mariners are five points behind their rivals the Newcastle Jets.

Now thirteen points out of finals contention, they’d have to double their current points tally just to match sixth-place Brisbane Roar’s current points total!

The 6-2 defeat to Western United on Sunday afternoon was a devastating new low, and not just on the scoreline. Fox Sports commentator Andy Harper described it as a “horrible performance”.

Alen Stajcic said: “We were very porous at the back.

“We’ve been decent for the last two weeks but today I thought we were below par and got punished.”

Fox Football analyst and former Socceroo Mark Bosnich says something must be done – and soon.

Bosnich said: “There has to be some questions asked. That’s seven losses on the trot.”

And he questioned Stajcic’s “very strange” inconsistent team selections in search of relief.

“Seven games to go. I know things haven’t been going well but if you don’t know your best team by now I think that’s a problem.

“At this moment in time there are players that are on the bench, like (Milan) Djuric, like (Sam) Silvera, like Jair, who deserve the opportunity to start. And once you get that winning team – or a team that stops this rot – you stick with them.

“There are players on the bench that can make this thing better.

“Alen Stajcic has to make the decision right now [on] who is his best eleven and give them the chance.

“There’s nothing to lose.”

Besides team selections, Bosnich questioned whether Stajcic – who has shown increasing signs of frustration and despair in recent weeks – believes he can turn things around.

“You’ve got to try and find something positive if you possibly can. If you believe that you cannot, I don’t see any other option than to basically step aside.”

The former Manchester United gloveman sees plenty of reason for positivity – and

“They’ve still won more games this season than the whole of last season. There have been times this season where they’ve won a certain amount of games where you’ve thought they’ve got half a chance at the six.

“But seven losses is seven losses, simple as that.”

Since the 2014/15 season, the Mariners have had five managers. Tony Walmsley (35 league games), Paul Okon (50), Wayne O’Sullivan (4), Mike Mulvey (21), and Alen Stajcic (25).

Of those, Stajcic boasts the best win percentage, with six wins earning him a 24 per cent win record. Okon (2016-17 to late 2017-18) sits second with 20 per cent (10 wins from 50).

Okon’s side conceded an average of 1.78 goals per game, while Stajcic’s side have conceded 2.28 gpg. Both sides score goals at a very similar rate of just over 1 per game.

Stajcic’s Mariners have a bizarrely limited number of draws (just one from 25 matches!) – while Okon’s side earned a point in 26 per cent of matches – meaning Okon’s sides overall picked up marginally more points overall.

It is difficult to compare managers from different time periods, but one potential takeaway is this: overall, Stajcic’s stint has been a success.

Certainly he has improved on the league records of Mulvey and O’Sullivan – not to mention the welcome bonus that was the inspiring FFA Cup semi-final run.

If not for this current woeful run of seven-straight losses, Mariners fans could feel confident in the rebuild occurring under the ex-Matildas mentor.

Much will depend on the next seven games, not the previous seven.

Last week, Stajcic said “we’re still on the bottom so it’s not good enough.

“None of us here are happy with where we’re at, with the results and where we’re at on the table.”

Rebuilding the Mariners is a long-term project. Fans know it, as does the club. Stajcic does too.

But without a short-term recovery, that long-term project might not take place under Stajcic.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...h/news-story/d2ad50e6ee8294b3cd47fba4c5a3b09a

Ancient Mariner

Bosnich is an idiot if he thinks staring Silverra and Duric will solve the problem. He obviously does not watch CCM too often or too closely.

To sack Staj, no matter what the rest of this season brings would be a massive knee jerk reaction.

He was signed for 3 years because it was seen that turning the Mariners round was a long term project, especially with what was left which he has to work with.

Sacking after 1 year is not an option, We have to hope that he is willing to take on what is a coach killing job.

Insertnamehere

Bosnich is an idiot if he thinks staring Silverra and Duric will solve the problem. He obviously does not watch CCM too often or too closely.

To sack Staj, no matter what the rest of this season brings would be a massive knee jerk reaction.

He was signed for 3 years because it was seen that turning the Mariners round was a long term project, especially with what was left which he has to work with.

Sacking after 1 year is not an option, We have to hope that he is willing to take on what is a coach killing job.
Yeah i read that too and thought boz is back on the nose beers. Djuric is obviously carrying something, and SS is looking for his heart like the lion from wizard of oz. Neither are in a position to make high quality impacts for the team.
We may as well use the next 6 games to blood a striker and an LB.

jacobsfl

If you sack a coach one year into a three year deal, it shows the league you don't trust your own instincts

We've had far too many coaches we've given up on a season in. Let's give a coach a second season, for once.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

I don't even have any trust in Staj anymore and yet I still think sacking him is the wrong move unless there is already somebody better lined up. Not because I think Staj deserves a 2nd season but because the coaching merry-go-round is just too harmful.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Even a bigger idiot if he thinks starting Jair will solve the problem.
though you could have just left it as 'Bosnich is an idiot'.

I don't even care what he has to say. There's never been a bigger, more ignorant, more idiotic, more biased turd in the history of commentating anywhere. he isn't worth the minute of my life it would take to read his ignorant drivel.

I'm genuinely surprised he isn't harping on about kicking us out of the league again - Fox Sports must have told him to stop doing that.

Ironbark

Yeah i read that too and thought boz is back on the nose beers. Djuric is obviously carrying something, and SS is looking for his heart like the lion from wizard of oz. Neither are in a position to make high quality impacts for the team.
We may as well use the next 6 games to blood a striker and an LB.
Haha nose beers

turbo

Even a bigger idiot if he thinks starting Jair will solve the problem
I dont agree with plenty Bozza has to say especially about CCM but the Jair situation is weird. Murray has had so many more chances and isnt delivering, I get that he's contracted for next year so that's probably why he keeps getting time but if that's the reasoning why bother signing Jair at all? Murray has had almost double the minutes and stuffed up at least a few good chances. I don't recall people saying Jair has to put that one away, certainly not as many times as I've heard it about Murray. If you compare him to Simon I think he has more of an impact especially if starting and he's only got around 100 minutes more than Matty who's goals have all been through penalties. It doesnt make a lot of sense that somehow he seems to be our 3rd choice option at the moment and may drop further if Kuol gets more minutes.

pjennings

I dont agree with plenty Bozza has to say especially about CCM but the Jair situation is weird. Murray has had so many more chances and isnt delivering, I get that he's contracted for next year so that's probably why he keeps getting time but if that's the reasoning why bother signing Jair at all? Murray has had almost double the minutes and stuffed up at least a few good chances. I don't recall people saying Jair has to put that one away, certainly not as many times as I've heard it about Murray. If you compare him to Simon I think he has more of an impact especially if starting and he's only got around 100 minutes more than Matty who's goals have all been through penalties. It doesnt make a lot of sense that somehow he seems to be our 3rd choice option at the moment and may drop further if Kuol gets more minutes.

I think Jair was signed after we missed out on who we wanted as a Hail Mary - probably cheap at that stage as well.. Murray gets into good positions - Jair doesn't even get to that stage. If he did you would think he would have to be more clinical than Murray has been. While we maybe should have expected that from his time at the scum - it is strange that he had a reasonable scoring rate in the K League and hasn't been able to replicate that in the HAL .

turbo

Murray gets into good positions - Jair doesn't even get to that stage. If he did you would think he would have to be more clinical than Murray has been.
Part of the problem is how sporadic and poor our service is. I’m not so sure it’s as simple as saying he doesn’t get in to those positions if he’s the one gathering a long ball, dropping back to pick it up or putting a pass through to Murray although Muzz does those things too. You’d usually expect that to show up in assists but we don’t score when we do get chances.

But what we do know is Murray has missed a reasonable amount of good chances and it’s getting hard to defend that. He’s only 1 goal in front of Clisby, Tongyik and Rowles - well behind Rowles if we count OGs .. Under those circumstances I think it’s fair to say why isn’t he getting more of a chance.

Big Al

I think Jair was signed after we missed out on who we wanted as a Hail Mary - probably cheap at that stage as well.. Murray gets into good positions - Jair doesn't even get to that stage. If he did you would think he would have to be more clinical than Murray has been. While we maybe should have expected that from his time at the scum - it is strange that he had a reasonable scoring rate in the K League and hasn't been able to replicate that in the HAL .
Just tell him you’re not here for link up play or to hold the ball.

You are only allowed in the 18yrd box. Offside or not. We will come to you not you to the ball.

see if that can get him a shot and stop him from going walk about

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred