• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Marinators songs

~Floss~

IMHO, out of those two options:

- WAST is my personal preference lyrically, but i believe it's less well-known (could be harder to get others involved in singing)

- Sailing is more recognisable by the masses, but not sure about some of the lyrics and whether other HAL clubs are doing it.

Atomic

I note that this thread was started on 21 November. I know this decision can't be rushed but perhaps we should just bite the bullet and have a vote. Once decided, then all our energies should be devoted to that one song. It may be slow on the uptake (it might even take a whole season) but if we persist then it will eventually take off I'm sure. It certainly has more chance of being adopted by the masses if it's not being continually changed in the quest to find a song that works.

So, it seems to me that the top two at this stage are We All Stand Together and Sailing

One of the administrators needs to start a new topic with YouTube version of each and a Poll where people can vote. No comments are required, just view each song and vote.

What do you all think about that idea?

c-crew

Good idea. We should shortlist 4 or 5 songs and set up a poll and leave it run for a month or something??? Then go with the one that gets the most votes.

~Floss~

Suggestions for the 4 or 5 Nominations?

1. Sailing
2. We All Stand Together
3. ???Yellow???

??? Anyone.... (Bueller?....... Macari?).....

dibo

to be a complete pain (for a change), i reckon the best poll is simply whichever one people sing along to. if you like it, try to get it up in the bay, in the kendall, etc. etc.

the half-time rendition of bohemian rhapsody on monday was a good laugh, and unscripted, it just happened. other songs can start as well, if only people will start them.

most importantly, either the kendall, the bay before the game or half time are great times for any group to get half a dozen of you together and sing a song. do a simple version, do something people can easily pick up, don't be afraid to repeat it a few times.

if something's catchier than ebola or fills the heart more than cholesterol people will sing it with gusto.

Jeff (LouMacari)

Agree with you there Dibo, the fans are the best judge 'on the day', we've tried to force something in the past and it doesn't seem to work, give a few of them a go on game day in the kendall or in the bay and even if you wanna get down the front with some cardboard sheets with the lyrics on so everyone can follow along? (until they remember them)

dibo

Greenpoleffc said:
Sunday night sing along it is then :)

seriously, top idea - away games in the kendall are a top time to get something rolling because people are in one place, there are less distractions, there are no away supporters etc.

i'll be watching fox in stanmore but i'll be singing along in spirit. ;)

Alicia

Now you catch on!!!  I've said a couple of times, that away games are the times to practice songs, get people familiar with the words and if we decide to sing certain songs at corners or goal kicks, or wherever, practice them in the Kendall at away games.  This way, the song becomes embedded in peoples minds, and it becomes second nature to sing them at home games.

dibo

Alicia said:
Now you catch on!!!  I've said a couple of times, that away games are the times to practice songs, get people familiar with the words and if we decide to sing certain songs at corners or goal kicks, or wherever, practice them in the Kendall at away games.  This way, the song becomes embedded in peoples minds, and it becomes second nature to sing them at home games.

well i'd sing along, but you wouldn't hear me.

c-crew

I'm there. What time will you all start getting there on Sunday? I've been listening to Sailing and We All Stand Together. My vote is the latter. I think it would be a great song to sing.

Bex

~Floss~ said:
Suggestions for the 4 or 5 Nominations?

1. Sailing
2. We All Stand Together
3. ???Yellow???

??? Anyone.... (Bueller?....... Macari?).....

How about "Playing to Win" by Little River Band / John Farnham.

Bex

Lyrics:

Playing To Win
John Farnham 55.5%, Graeham Goble 37.5%,
Stephen Housden 1.4%, Wayne Nelson 1.4%,
David Hirschfelder 1.4%, Stephen Prestwich 1.4%,
Spencer Proffer 1.4%
April 30th, 1983

If you want me, come and get me
You don't have a chance if you don't move now
I'm not waiting any longer
You know that I'm playing to win this time

When you make your move, I won't hesitate
If you take too long, you could be too late
This time I'm playing to win

If you want me, come and say it
Don't wait around for another chance
Make your mind up, make your play
You should be playing to win this time

All those wasted years, I didn't know I was only emotion away
I got what I wanted for me
I didn't see, it was not what I needed,
I was a fool

If you want me, come and get me
You don't have a chance if you don't move now
I'm not waiting any longer
You know that I'm playing to win this time

(you know that I've made up my mind)

1984 Universal Music Publishing
1984 Warner / Chappell Music
'Playing To Win' - Little River Band

~Floss~

Bex said:
Lyrics:

Playing To Win
John Farnham 55.5%, Graeham Goble 37.5%,
Stephen Housden 1.4%, Wayne Nelson 1.4%,
David Hirschfelder 1.4%, Stephen Prestwich 1.4%,
Spencer Proffer 1.4%
April 30th, 1983

Where did you get the version with the songwriters' royalty percentages included???!!!

Bex

Off Graeham Goble's web site www.graehamgoble.com.au

Graeham is a founding member of Little River Band.

Atomic

Playing to Win is too fast to sing in a Stadium. You have to remember that sound travels relatively slow, so the words will be lost in a jumble of noise. That's why a song which sounds like a hymn will be better, something slow and melodical. For those that aren't singers, they could humm (not very effective but better than nothing). You'll Never Walk Alone is a classic example, but not a good choice for our purposes. My choice is "Sailing" but I don't have the balls to start it up in the Kendall Bar  ;D Can someone with a bit more self confidence do it for me?  ::)

Alicia

The verse of that song is actually quite fast, and in my opinion, some of our chants are starting to get too fast as it is. 

Bex

Atomic and Alisha

Yes, I agree its probably too fast, but I guess I'm just throwing it in the ring for consideration along with the others.

I would like to here something thats a bit more inspirational than the suggestions so far. To be honest, I don't think you will ever get me to sing Sailing. I don't like Rod Stewart and I reckon the mood of the song will put our guys to sleep.

I agree with the point made earlier; throw up a bunch of suggestions and see what flies at the Kendall Bar.

FFC Mariner

Sailing is easy to remember and Hymn like. Dont forget, Hymns are written to be sung by a group of people so tend to be in easy to sing keys.

Will start up sailing when we score and if I ended up getting pissed enough I might treat you to a few chorus's of "Lawrie McKinna went to Rome to see the Pope"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred