• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Have we reached bottom yet?

Ancient Mariner

Maybe, the powers that be had truly decided that this is the year to turn things around and make the Club competitive again, rather than just trying for cheap quick fixes.
Maybe MC was being honest when he said he wanted to make CCM a great and proud club again.

But maybe it is being found out that it takes more than a new manager and some increased spending to do this.

Kossie stated in his article that the only players we have are those that cannot get a game elsewhere. Maybe this is why we still lost players and had so many lacklustre signings this season.

Maybe we are like one of those supertankers that take miles to stop, let alone reverse direction.

Maybe it is time to give MM longer, because maybe the task he has been given is more massive than anyone realised.

Ok, I will try to return to my positive, supportive self (sickening as it may be) and put the axe aside for a while.

Timmah

Maybe it is time to give MM longer, because maybe the task he has been given is more massive than anyone realised.
I tend to agree with this. MM is our fourth manager since Arnie's departure (not counting Sully's interim tenure), and all mostly with different management styles, none of which have clicked - which to me suggests the manager role isn't the issue.

turbo

If what we've read about training looking different and things changing I have to wonder if that's MM or someone else on the staff making changes/getting a kick up the arse. I'm yet to be convinced by MM and the signings and starting line ups have a bunch of questions around them. The initial talk was good but then to follow it up with those signings didn't seem right to me and it's all followed from there. I believe Wales left because he wanted a 2 year deal and we offered 1, we've signed Murray off a great NPL run and Millar both on one year contracts and the better they do the more chance we have of losing them. Meanwhile we've signed Simon and McGlinchey for two despite minimal chance of them being poached. It doesn't make sense.

I wasn't around here for the Okon drama but I do think had Asdrubal been half decent or he had the budget for a better striker early then last season would have been a very different one for us and we could have been playing finals.

Last edited:

Antlion

I don't think it's time to wash off the war paint. The only thing that has changed as yet is reports of improved training. Stirrings at best. But a source of hope nonetheless.
I'm wondering if the new S&C guy is the reason

Insertnamehere

Maybe, the powers that be had truly decided that this is the year to turn things around and make the Club competitive again, rather than just trying for cheap quick fixes.
Maybe MC was being honest when he said he wanted to make CCM a great and proud club again.

But maybe it is being found out that it takes more than a new manager and some increased spending to do this.

Kossie stated in his article that the only players we have are those that cannot get a game elsewhere. Maybe this is why we still lost players and had so many lacklustre signings this season.

Maybe we are like one of those supertankers that take miles to stop, let alone reverse direction.

Ok, I will try to return to my positive, supportive self (sickening as it may be) and put the axe aside for a while.
I disagree that we can only sign spuds. We've always taken guys who have maybe underperformed and given them a crack. Historically it's paid off but it hasn't really for the last 5 years and it can't be a whole team at once.

Forum Phoenix

Love the super tanker analogy.

They use trim tappers to turn those - hundreds of little rudders that have to be turned first, because there’s no way to just heave on one or two giant rudders and change direction for any truly big ship.

So I think you’ve nailed the nature of our dilemma.

The clubs definitely been pulling at the rudders, But quite a few like Ross, Bolt, Weemac, Gameiro etc, have either not turned or just spun full circle.

I’m hoping Wombats right and there’s still enough depth/talent in this side to recover. And that Mike shows the flexibility/adaptability that Okon lacked and he can and will course correct. Making good on past errors like Melling over Tom. Tommy is still the first name on the team sheet for mine (Pain second) and I think many other fans too. Really great that Wombat told him how valued he is by the fans.

Forum Phoenix

I disagree that we can only sign spuds. We've always taken guys who have maybe underperformed and given them a crack. Historically it's paid off but it hasn't really for the last 5 years and it can't be a whole team at once.

But as the league improves it’s a difficult balance isn’t it. Definitely a lot harder to punch above your weight now, while top level is pretty similar, the base line of player quality has risen pretty dramatically and coaching on the whole is also a lot stronger imho.

But I think a lot of our signing issues were also mistakes. We signed a lot of unproven, unrated, and under developed talent and a good amount of past it talent too.

I agree we can surely do better than only signing spuds. But luring any quality player who has another option right now is bound to be very hard. Why would you choose us over any other HAL side? Even if we offer a little more for some, there’s the very real likelihood your ongoing value as a player will only drop by being with us.

I bet Da Silva curses the day he signed with us. (And don’t worry we curse you right back Danny) ;)

soccer mad

There is no doubt that most of us here on this forum are members or have been passionate supporters of the CCM for some time I have been a member from day one like most , and to be perfectly honest I was quite reluctant to sign this year I'm not an aficionado by any means but I just love the game so much and have for a long time and I am proud coastie and my highlight apart from every day life was attending our games . It saddens me to see this proud club slide in such a rapid state ,we have never been a bling club but I have seen us punch way above our weight over the years but in last five its been dismal and I'm at a stage where I could take it or leave it I really couldn't give a shit .
I JUST WANT TO SEE GOOD FOOTBALL AND BE PROUD OF MY TEAM. IF MC WANTS TO BUILD HIS COFFERS AND BRAWDEN THE APPEAL OF HIS FAN BASE THEN START WITH FOOTBALL.

ballantyne

Kosmina is right, the trading has been terrible. We could be getting these results on half the wages.
Whatever you might think about tactics, man management or conditioning, these trades have been a right flop.

Offsider

If I was a player my agent introduced to ccm under mm I would sack the agent immediately.
Mm’s history with roar, o/seas and now here and all the failed applications for a gig in between are not exciting reading. Add to that his weird squad recruitment failures, shit team selections with visa players frozen out, players selected out of their best position blah blah blah ....... recognised conditioning coach left and not replaced with enough injured to fill a hospital ward ............. and due diligence takes on a whole new meaning.

This season’s failures are now undeniable ........ it is time mc owns his decisions and advises the game plan from here.

Antlion

If I was a player my agent introduced to ccm under mm I would sack the agent immediately.
Mm’s history with roar, o/seas and now here and all the failed applications for a gig in between are not exciting reading. Add to that his weird squad recruitment failures, shit team selections with visa players frozen out, players selected out of their best position blah blah blah ....... recognised conditioning coach left and not replaced with enough injured to fill a hospital ward ............. and due diligence takes on a whole new meaning.

This season’s failures are now undeniable ........ it is time mc owns his decisions and advises the game plan from here.
MC did - he said: the plan from here is dig deep and suck it people

BrisRecky

I'm an idiot savant without the pesky savant bit
Have we reached bottom yet ...well if the lads can string together two halves of football like the first half yesterday then no
If they don’t , then yes ....a fortnight ago
#COYY #WhatAWasteOfAHashtag

Offsider

I don't think it's time to wash off the war paint. The only thing that has changed as yet is reports of improved training. Stirrings at best. But a source of hope nonetheless.
I'm wondering if the new S&C guy is the reason

Maybe the threat return of injured players getting close enough to challenge for first team places has hit home.

Tevor

If nothing changes then I fear we have not reached the bottom yet. It would be nice to see this game as the turning point. Not likely if nothing is changed. We will set a record for the worst season that will never be beaten when we don’t win a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb