• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Give Nik another go

FFC Mariner

Question is, if we punted him who could we get for the same money who is going to be better?

Niks biggest concern is if Brown turns out to be HAL standard you will have Brown, McBreen and Matty with possibly a marquee to come.

adz

Staff member
Seems like there is an "end of season Mrdja story" template they have been copy/pasting the last few seasons...

* Only a few matches left to save my career
* Had some bad luck but back in form now
* Keen to prove myself (not to the fans this season though)
* Next few games will make or break my career
* (missing from this one: Keen to repay loyalty shown by Lawrie/Club)
* Fill with fluff about current end of season goal scoring drought the team is in

MagpieMariner

Has Nik had a fair go from Lawrie this season so far?

Up to & including round 14 he had 4 starts and was subbed off in 3 of them, didn't trouble the scorer. He was subbed on in 4 others, the last of which he got his first goal (HAL goal, that is) of the season. He was also an unused sub in 1 match.
Since then he's had 4 starts, 2 of them going the 90, subbed off the other 2 (the second after scoring a double), scored 3 goals, and got a run from the bench twice.

That sounds like Lawrie's given him a pretty fair run for mine. His last 7 games, he hasn't done too badly for us either, 4 goals - better than anyone else in the same time. Be interesting to see how many others in the comp have done better in that time frame - Smeltz for sure, but I haven't checked other stats. If he doesn't get a new contract, he can't complain about lack of opportunity.

It's interesting to compare his stats with the guy who might replace him: 16 starts, subbed off in 3, scored 3 goals, had 5 runs from the bench, and now swapped to Glory.

krusty

Gen (MarinerMum) said:
No to Nik he has not done anything in the 4+ years he has been with us.  He deserves exactly what he is getting , very little game time, off the bench and youth league is probably all he can play.  Maybe go back to premier league in 'sydney'.  He has very little heart and does not fit the culture of the Mariners.  He seldom warms down, thinks he is better than he is and has a bone in his foot that stops him from playing along with a knee that is sore when he hasn't played well.  IfI have missed anything I'm sorry but there is nothing good to say about the player and his game.  So Krusty, time you were insightful. Nik is not the answer and he never has been so if he gets hurt then we can replace him.  This sounds the best idea.  We did not shop that well during the off season so what do we expect.
Well well well alot of people thought i was stupid a idiot and alot of other things and look how things have turned out. I think people called him an oxygen thief,waste of money and stay in the youth league. If it wasn't for Nik our season would have been over weeks ago yes it has taken a long time but please lawrie give him another contract so we can score some goal next season. So to all you people out there who said all these things na na na i told you so. Sorry people i could,t help myself.

FFC Mariner

Cant argue with his last 2 performances but if he gets another contract will he slack off again?

Having said that, I like what we are seeing right now

tyson

Pretty impressed him the last couple of weeks.
Moving off the ball, holding it up and laying it off. Simon has been struggling to control the ball and people are pushing him off too easily.
He is actually exciting to watch at times. He just needs to tighten up a bit more and be more clinical. Making sure his passes are perfect and isn't wasting good opportunities.

Forum Phoenix

Another good game - and great pen tonight.

FFC Mariner said:
Playing in front of that MF, McBreen has done v well to get 3

Exactly. And was unlucky not get a handful more. Off the woodwork at least four times and a few awesome keeper saves also.

scottmac

Suspended
Forum Phoenix said:
Another good game - and great pen tonight.

FFC Mariner said:
Playing in front of that MF, McBreen has done v well to get 3

Exactly. And was unlucky not get a handful more. Off the woodwork at least four times and a few awesome keeper saves also.

So will it be McBreen, Simon, Mrjda & Kwasnik up front?

I think if we were ever to get another marquee it would have to be in midfield, it has been the trouble position for Lawrie ever since TommyP and then Jedi left.

Even not getting a marquee, i think i could live with those 4 for a year or 2. McBreen has shown himself to be a fair bit better than McCallister so no worse off than we are now. Still not much variety but maybe that will come from a few new wide and central signings?

I'm keen on another year of Disco if he keeps his current form for the next 5 or so.

Paolo

FFC Mariner said:
Cant argue with his last 2 performances but if he gets another contract will he slack off again?
I believe within the Football world it is referred to as a Viduka.

MagpieMariner

FFC Mariner said:

Probably not, because I can't see a new contract being for more than one year. He'll need to be on song to make sure he either keeps getting new contracts with us, or a longer contract with someone else.

Bex

krusty said:
Gen (MarinerMum) said:
No to Nik he has not done anything in the 4+ years he has been with us.  He deserves exactly what he is getting , very little game time, off the bench and youth league is probably all he can play.  Maybe go back to premier league in 'sydney'.  He has very little heart and does not fit the culture of the Mariners.  He seldom warms down, thinks he is better than he is and has a bone in his foot that stops him from playing along with a knee that is sore when he hasn't played well.  IfI have missed anything I'm sorry but there is nothing good to say about the player and his game.  So Krusty, time you were insightful. Nik is not the answer and he never has been so if he gets hurt then we can replace him.  This sounds the best idea.  We did not shop that well during the off season so what do we expect.
Well well well alot of people thought i was stupid a idiot and alot of other things and look how things have turned out. I think people called him an oxygen thief,waste of money and stay in the youth league. If it wasn't for Nik our season would have been over weeks ago yes it has taken a long time but please lawrie give him another contract so we can score some goal next season. So to all you people out there who said all these things na na na i told you so. Sorry people i could,t help myself.

Well, for mine, you've got to look at the value of the player over the length of his contract - not just the last few games. Nik has been a massive money hole and his sudden return to form when playing for a contract may well come down to selfish interest in his own career rather than a rehabilitated heart muscle.

IF he kept playing the way he has in the past few games then he may be worth considering, but what basis do we have to say that he is likely to continue this form and avoid injury? I put it to you that the answer to that question is "none". Indeed, our experience is that he is more than likely to get injured and spend most of next season recovering. And then on return, wander around the field aimlessly for a half a dozen games before he starts showing an interest that just happens to coincide with player contract signing time.

Call me skeptical but there you go.

blakus

Bex said:
krusty said:
Gen (MarinerMum) said:

Well, for mine, you've got to look at the value of the player over the length of his contract - not just the last few games. Nik has been a massive money hole and his sudden return to form when playing for a contract may well come down to selfish interest in his own career rather than a rehabilitated heart muscle.

IF he kept playing the way he has in the past few games then he may be worth considering, but what basis do we have to say that he is likely to continue this form and avoid injury? I put it to you that the answer to that question is "none". Indeed, our experience is that he is more than likely to get injured and spend all of next season recovering and then wander around the field like a chook with its head cut off for a dozen games before he starts showing an interest.
Nice 1 Mariner Mum. couldnt of said it better myself.

Bex

blakus said:
Bex said:
krusty said:
Gen (MarinerMum) said:

IF he kept playing the way he has in the past few games then he may be worth considering, but what basis do we have to say that he is likely to continue this form and avoid injury? I put it to you that the answer to that question is "none". Indeed, our experience is that he is more than likely to get injured and spend all of next season recovering and then wander around the field like a chook with its head cut off for a dozen games before he starts showing an interest.
Nice 1. couldnt of said it better myself.

LOL, you got in quick - before I edited it :)

Honkee

Meh, Im glad Nik has found some form, but its taken 20 or so rounds to do so. Its gonna take more then 2 games for me to start flying the disco flag again.

MagpieMariner

Perhaps it could be said he returns to form when he's finally injury free. You don't recover from knee reconstructions in 5 minutes. It also takes time to become confident that your knee will hold you up rather than collapsing under you.
Ah but why do I bother? Some of you lot will slag him even if he was golden boot three years running. A closed mind is a sad thing to  behold.

Bex

spike said:
Some of you lot will slag him even if he was golden boot three years running.

Ya reckon!  ::)

And its a totally hypothetical argument anyway. No hope of him doing it.

MagpieMariner

The argument isn't whether he'd do it, the argument is that he would still be slagged by some even if he did. Nothing hypothetical about that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred