• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Give Nik another go

Forum Phoenix

Hard not to feel that would be the only fair thing.
To go somewhere else for anything but a MASSIVELY superior contract would be an incredibly poor way to repay the club and would haunt his name till the end of his days.

Whereas stay and play and win us our first toilet seat, and his name would forever live on in Mariners history - for all of the right reasons.

Jaza_SFC

Problem is that if you offer a heavily incentivised contract you still have to budget for the goals happening.

i.e. if you give him $70k base and offer $10k per goal up until 13 goals (i.e. $200k max), you still need to budget for $200k in the cap regardless if you pay it or not. SO yeah, you can save money, but it affects your recruitment and use of the cap to get players in because he's still taking up a big wedge.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what he's on already? I don't know the figures but I'm pretty sure his recent deal is incentivised after all of the injuries?

EDIT: THose figures are all fake btw. The standard HAL contract comprises base salary + game bonuses + goal bonuses + payments for work off the pitch, etc. They're far more complex than the above.

MagpieMariner

Well, thank heavens for that then, otherwise we'd have 3 losses instead 3 draws.
I wonder if we offered to subsidise the other strikers....  :)

bulldogmariner

On current form is Mrdja one of the best Australian strikers in the A-league? Would that mean PIM may look at him for game against Indonesia?

bikinigirl

. oh god don't do that

. remember what happened the last time he got his hands on an in-form nik ... we didn't see him for the next year or so

. he is only just getting over the last time

tsd

from an interview with nik on the a-league site...

"It's always been my goal to kick on (with the Mariners) and feel as if I've contributed more than what I have in the last five years," he said.

"I feel as though in the last five years I haven't put in enough to walk away from here and be happy."

"At the same time if I could secure something just to show the fans and everybody that I'm really dedicated and want to stay and do the job for them, it'd be nice."

"I'm open to everything, I have to be at this sort of time, but at the same time my first priority would be with the Mariners and I'd like to hear what they think and take it from there I suppose."

"It's been a bit hot and cold for me this season, I've been in and I've been out and I'd like to be given a chance to prove myself and that's what I'm getting now."

bikinigirl

. well that's full of contradictions

. paraphrase: "i know i haven't done much in five years and i am dedicated to the club/fans to to do the right thing ... but if a better offer comes along i'm gone!"

Jaza_SFC

bikinigirl said:
. well that's full of contradictions

. paraphrase: "i know i haven't done much in five years and i am dedicated to the club/fans to to do the right thing ... but if a better offer comes along i'm gone!"

He still needs to keep his options open - when his contract ends on March 30th I'm sure he'd like to know where his next meals are coming from.

MagpieMariner

Forum Phoenix said:
I think we should give him another year with perhaps something like a second year triggered if he scores more than 12.

Sounds good, but perhaps triggered by starting more than x games. If another year is triggered by goals, he could (understandably) be tempted to be greedy late in the season if his numbers are down.
If it's triggered by starts, then he needs to put in at training and on the paddock all season to make sure he keeps getting starts.
It seems to me that the number of goals from a striker is in a great part influenced by the service he gets from his midfield. At the moment our midfield isn't giving the greatest service, so I think it would be a bit harsh to have a contract depend on what others are not doing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred