• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Dukes - Maybe a Socceroo again

marinersman

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/viduka-will-be-back-200972

Viduka will be back
Brought to you by
2 July 2009 | 18:39 - SBS EXCLUSIVE

The vexed question all Australian football fans have been asking has been answered with confirmation that Mark Viduka will play for Australia at the 2010 FIFA World Cup after all.

The big striker's agent, Englishman Steve Kutner, has revealed that the now former Newcastle United man is poised to switch from the relegated Magpies to a Premier League club, with the sole purpose of ''playing for Australia at the 2010 World Cup''.

Kutner, who had lengthy talks with a holidaying Viduka on Wednesday night, told The World Game: "It's not a question of if Mark wants to play for Australia at the World Cup, it's a matter of he will play at the World Cup.

''His reason in continuing to play on at the top level in England is to make sure he's there in South Africa. He's feeling fit again and he's hungry.

''Hes mulling over a couple of offers from two very good sides and a final decision will be made when he returns (from Croatia) in a week or so.

"I have to keep quiet on who they are for obvious reasons but the offers are there in front of us and an official announcement will be made soon.

"He's feeling relaxed and happy and he can't wait to get going again."

Kutner, whose client list includes England star Frank Lampard, insisted Viduka's problematic Achilles, which limited him to just eight games for the Toon last season - without a goal - was now a thing of the past.

"Physically he's fine, and has been keeping himself in shape while he's been away. So, yes, he's in great shape, he added.

"He wouldn't be looking to play on if he wasn't and I can assure you, he will only play on in the Premiership."

Viduka, who turns 34 in October, led Australia at the 2006 World Cup and also at the 2007 Asian Cup. But he hasn't played for Australia since and speculation was mounting that he would not be seen again in the green and gold.

Now, it appears a second coming is imminent, possibly as early as the August 12 friendly with the Republic of Ireland in Limerick.

"I'm sure it (his comeback) will be good news for Australia because everybody knows how important he is to his country," added Kutner.

"Mark just has to do the business on the pitch now. And, judging by how well he finished the season at Newcastle, I am sure he will."

FFC Mariner

Oh joy, the lazy fat bastard will jag another contract at some unsuspecting relegation candidate (Burnley seems likely), tweak his hammy's so he doesnt get to play much and then turn up in S Africa.

Great news.......

midfielder

Serious & FFC

Cough cough .. the guy has been chased by some of the biggest clubs in the world .. at his peak.. IMO has been loyal to Australia and until recently when he had a lot of injuries he always put his hand up..

He has also talked straight .. like no I am not coming because @#*&%  he never tried to sugar coat things ... meaning IMO and given his past record if he says I am not sure give me time to think and see if I can get my body and mind ready .. I say give him the time .. it was actually a very honest answer maybe not a nice answer but honest .. so if he says now yep it's all come together and we are still 12 months out ... then give him a go ...

FFC Mariner

He is past it, injury prone and the only thing he has ever been good for is hating Arnoldout.

Celtic,Leeds and Newcastle also dont count as "biggest clubs in the world"

:)

scottmac

Suspended
great news for Aus. Our chances will be better with him in the team.
All it really means is that Djite or Scotty Mac stays at home. No great loss.

tuftman

1) He isnt at his peak anymore

2)Loyal? He hasn't played since the Asian Cup, and is only now showing interest since the hard work through qualifying has been done

3)Injuries- The guy is a basket case of them, I thinks its fair to say that he's a liability to the squad for this fact alone. He played 8 games last year, what part of that

4) 7 goals in 40 games for Newcastle, none of which came last season right?

Surely its time to move on completely from him?

serious14

Kewell - Iran 97, both legs. Croatia 06.

Bresciano - Uruguay 05, Bahrain 08

Cahill - Japan 06, Oman 07, Japan 09

Kennedy - Netherlands friendly, Uzbekistan 09

Viduka............ Soloman Islands, Thailand, and....... ummmm.....  WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!  Not to mention Captain Courageous' epic attempt at a penalty in the Uruguay shootout.  :-\

dru

serious14 said:
:fireup:

*tries to remember any goals of significance the useless c*nt has scored for Australia*

*can't*
Can remember a penalty he missed though.

I'm hoping for an injury before the squad is announced that forces him out of the squad

UnitedsNo9

The fact that dukes hasnt scored a swag of goals dosnt really bother me though it would be nice....
IMO most of the work that dukes does is hard and thankless.... and i believe he is a class above other strikers at our disposal (however kennedy for instance knows how to do a job for the green and gold).
The majority of games that I have seen him play for Australia I havnt really had too much to complain about... the two-legs against uruguay in 2005 he didnt get the glory of aloisi or bresch or schwarzer (who did deserve it btw), however I remember he played out of his skin missed penalty notwithstanding  :p.

The only reason I would not want him in the squad for the WC would be not for lack of ability but passion... However I'm glad that he was honest enough to not put his hand up recently due to injury. It also enabled Josh and macca and richard to gain more valuable game time.
If over the next year he can prove his love for the shirt then I would much rather have him than not.

midfielder

Agree United ... Serious if Pim picks him then in the eyes of the coach he is the best player for the position...

marinermick

midfielder said:
Agree United ... Serious if Pim picks him then in the eyes of the coach he is the best player for the position...

I also concur with the two posts above. Has to be fit and willing and then there is no choice.

Jesus

Jesus
Dukes is easily the best man we have for the formation. By a hell of a long way. If he is fit and wants to play, we would be insane not to play him.

Add to that he adds to team morale, rather than deducts and it is a no brainer

serious14

It disgusts me that people are fine with the fact that he willingly sat out most of qualifying, and now that the hard work is done, wants to waltz back in and claim all the glory.  Fat c*nt will probably want the captaincy back too.....

(yes, I know he was injured for some of it, calm down)

I just want some evidence - actual, facts based evidence - that his recent record anywhere, is better than Kewell's, Kennedy's, McDonald's, or Cahill's??

Not to mention his general laziness and lack of pace around the field, which would be ludicrously counter productive to Pim's 4-2-3-1.

tuftman

serious14 said:
It disgusts me that people are fine with the fact that he willingly sat out most of qualifying, and now that the hard work is done, wants to waltz back in and claim all the glory.  Fat c*nt will probably want the captaincy back too.....

(yes, I know he was injured for some of it, calm down)

I just want some evidence - actual, facts based evidence - that his recent record anywhere, is better than Kewell's, Kennedy's, McDonald's, or Cahill's??

+1

Its pretty much all been said really, IMO the guy doesn't deserve to be back in the side

Arabmariner

I've never subscribed to the "we hate Dukes club" but the fact is by the time of the WC he'll be nearly 35, well past his best,probably half fit and used to playing in a cold climate.

Then he's supposed to waltz into a side that qualified without him and perform miracles in hot weather.

Get a grip Pim.

marinermick

Arabmariner said:
I've never subscribed to the "we hate Dukes club" but the fact is by the time of the WC he'll be nearly 35, well past his best,probably half fit and used to playing in a cold climate.

Then he's supposed to waltz into a side that qualified without him and perform miracles in hot weather.

Get a grip Pim.

you do realise that it will be winter in south africa during the world cup right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred