• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

CCM Fans and the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperHans

Charlesworth invested plenty of money last year pal.
Maybe so, but was it enough to make us competitive? No. Was it enough to give us hope? No. Until he grows longer arms or gets shorter pockets nothing will change. He is in the entertainment business and is flogging a substandard product.. No wonder fans and members are not happy. Frankly I think his actions have treated the players, the fans, the league and the game with contempt. I imagine he would have acted differently had relegation been an option.

Reactions: adz

turbo

Maybe so, but was it enough to make us competitive?
There's two distinct issues here - did we spend enough and did we spend well? Spending more can help mask poor recruitment but ultimately isn't that sustainable and the big clubs with more business connections and well over a million people in their catchment will always have deeper pockets. A spending boost would give us a shot in the arm but if I'm in MC's shoes I'd be wanting some proof that we know how to get some value out of that investment, our track record hasnt been great in that regard.

We certainly didnt spend well last year and there have been some expensive duds inherited from Okon's time with us as well which have only been weeded out over this off season. There will be a bit of a hangover from Mulvey's time as well with two senior players (who most here don't believe are starting quality) still set to pull a decent wage this season but the direction we're moving is encouraging IMO. We're finally making sensible decisions even if they arent the flashiest ones. Another two expensive players still on the books need to fire for us this season and hopefully Staj and the support staff can help that happen.

Coastalraider

I
Maybe so, but was it enough to make us competitive? No. Was it enough to give us hope? No. Until he grows longer arms or gets shorter pockets nothing will change. He is in the entertainment business and is flogging a substandard product.. No wonder fans and members are not happy. Frankly I think his actions have treated the players, the fans, the league and the game with contempt. I imagine he would have acted differently had relegation been an option.
I think he actually spent fairly decently by our standards last year, but his local coaching team sold him a lot of duds. If you were an owner, and your spend resulted in:
  • McCormack delivering nothing of note and then going home early
  • Cisse delivering nothing and retiring early
  • Matty Simon delivering nothing except a bad attitude
  • McGlinchey delivering nothing
  • Oar spending the bulk of his season in rehab
  • Aspro who came injured and only played half a year
  • Corey Gameiro who didnt play a game
You would be fairly pissed.

Thats a HUGE amount on unfulfilled cap spend right there. If HALF of those come off, we are in a different position I believe.

turbo

Aspro who came injured and only played half a year
This is the only one I disagree with, we would have known what we were getting with Aspro and no doubt paid him accordingly. When he did get right he was our best defender. I don't think that was bad business and before the season started I'd expect we intended to nurse him back to health, give him some minutes and sign him on a long term deal if he performed. Instead he was pushed in to the spotlight and snapped up when he delivered, and now he'll play off the bench for Rudan :confused:

For the rest of it spot on, that's probably close to 1.5m worth of unfulfilled promise from 4-5 starting players. There's plenty of bigger teams that would struggle to take that in their stride nevermind us operating on a budget.

turbo

These same football genius's let Aspro and Millar go.
They didnt sign them on multiyear deals, in Aspros case that's probably pretty fair as no one knew how he'd go after recovery. The Millar mistake was not locking him in for 2 years cheap when giving him his 2nd shot at the A league, the way the whole thing played out made it pretty clear he never intended to extend his time here. There's no reason not to push us for a counter deal with a deadline unless he had zero intention of taking it. Even if he didnt he still should have been looking for one to bump up his worth.

There was also talk the Ingham deal was already done before Mulvey was sacked but I'm hopeful he can do a decent job for us on the wing.

Pirate Pete

These same football genius's let Aspro and Millar go.
Oh and signed Ingham who now seens surplus to requirements

Goal Machine............
icon_lol.gif

29’ | GOOOAL! 2-0! Jai Ingham has his brace! This time, he fires home a free-kick from 20 yards out!
1f3af.svg

#CCMFC #ALeague #CCBvCCM

Forum Phoenix

Thought Ingham looked useful first game. Has obviously backed that up well.

I don’t think we have that many wide players? Got rid of Hoole and lost Pain. And I don’t think Ziggy, Clisby or Rowles are wingbacks.

How did they deploy tonight against Charlestown? Pushing high and overlapping consistently or more conservative with 4 in the middle and getting our width there?

turbo

I don’t think we have that many wide players?
It's mostly Oar, Ingham and Silvera, probably in that order. Majok can play out there too I believe but like Murray it's not his preferred position. IMO it's a position we can bring youth in to without being too disruptive if we have a need to plug gaps mid season. Could draft in some of our NYL talent if needed.
At the back I think Clisby gives more width than Rowles would in the same position.

Coastalraider

It's mostly Oar, Ingham and Silvera, probably in that order. Majok can play out there too I believe but like Murray it's not his preferred position. IMO it's a position we can bring youth in to without being too disruptive if we have a need to plug gaps mid season. Could draft in some of our NYL talent if needed.
At the back I think Clisby gives more width than Rowles would in the same position.
Plus one of the Koreans who should be a level above.

Forum Phoenix

Plus one of the Koreans who should be a level above.

Yeah so I don’t think we’re really that stacked for winger as I’m seeing Majok and Murray as playing/challenging for striker. Silvera and one of the Seoul brothers seem like they can play central. So Ingham will surely be useful.

Michael

I can see a useful player in Ingham. Once he is fit and confident. May be a direct swap for Pain.

Totally agree. Is 100% direct replacement.
I’ve been saying this the entire time, with regular starts and consistency he can be a weapon for us. And I think it’ll happen quicker than it did with Pain. Has better technical qualities than pain and atleast as fast as pain. It’s blown my mind that people have questioned his signing. Yeah was never a major player for Victory, but it was usually marquees ahead of him or injury. May not have been staj’s signing but Staj should be able to get more out of him than that fool Mulvey.

Michael

Yeah so I don’t think we’re really that stacked for winger as I’m seeing Majok and Murray as playing/challenging for striker. Silvera and one of the Seoul brothers seem like they can play central. So Ingham will surely be useful.

One of the Seoul bro’s has played a lot out wide. And can be considered a winger. Obviously the more attacking one, Kim? The club really need to get their deals done so I can get their names down pat haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred