• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Brisbane Roar FC v Central Coast Mariners

true believer

I think we need to fix we are weakest and stop teams running over us at the start and at the end.
We need to control games from the midfield and start working as a team.
Based on last week + tonight’s performance I would go for gold back to the 3-5-2 or
3-5-1-1 providing all players fit and available.

———-Ziggy——Rowles——-Fox———-
DDS——Kim——Nisbit——Duric——Oar
———————-Murray————————
————————Jair—————————
yeah i honestly think a back 3 and we lose 7 nil
what we're doing isn't terrible from the standpoint of last season
simon up front was a poor call and should be the last time he plays for the club he loves
had staj started with milan instead of simon as a false 9 , we maybe win this

turbo

We haven’t got the players for a back 3 and that’s something you need to factor in when recruiting if you want to do it. Part of the idea seems to be to remove our dependence on Clisby but he’s the closest thing we have to a wingback. DDS isn’t, Silvera definitely isn’t.

Wombat

Leeds won 4.0 v Boro. Both sides played 3 at the back. Leeds had a very strange set up 3-3-3-1 with Bamford up top.
Make of that what you will.

Ads

We haven’t got the players for a back 3 and that’s something you need to factor in when recruiting if you want to do it. Part of the idea seems to be to remove our dependence on Clisby but he’s the closest thing we have to a wingback. DDS isn’t, Silvera definitely isn’t.

With the wide backs so far up and not being able to receive the ball square and move forward are we not already playing with 3 backs when they have the ball?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

So we don't play wingbacks then.

Just looked at the goals....f**k me, what absolute trash. Clisby, doesn't even attempt the stop the ball going past his feet.
Gordon, doesn't even attempt to stop O'Donovan. I mean, that's just pathetic, disgraceful defending. And we've seen that shit from Gordon way too often. Him and Clisby are just as lazy as each other. Utter trash.

When I coached U/8 soccer, I used to run 'happy feet' drills with the team to encourage them to stay on their toes and not be flat footed. It seems that too many of these 'professionals' have forgotten the basics.

And that 2nd goal - GG didn't even try to win that header.

What the hell is going on in this team when we're conceding goals because our defenders can't even be bothered to try?

2 weeks ago, watching a defence that was so bad they looked like they were playing under protest I started to wonder something that I'm still wondering - Has Staj lost the changing room?

Because we're already seeing players who look like they just can't be stuffed being there. Watching the saves on Kayo, there was another run they had when Clisby didn't even attempt to win the header. I'm done with him. I'm surprised we didn't see more from Biri on that 2nd goal. He looked like he had started to move back that way.

And questions need to be asked of Staj too. Tactically he's been found wanting a few times this season already. Starting Simon, and Silvera on the bench - what's that all about? We're at our most dangerous with DDS/Silvera on the park together.

A month ago we were talking about being in the top 6. We had a defence that was pretty tight, we had a midfield that dominated and linked up to our attack, and players in attack that played well off each other and were approaching the box from all the angles and mixing it up.

Now......what's gone wrong? Even if we take the City game out of the equation and put it down to just being controlled by the best team in the comp, that still leaves 3 games where we still looked like wooden spoon contenders (and I'm including the win....because WU should have beaten us 3-1, they just forgot how to finish). Now, sure, I don't know how the rest of this game went. but just from those highlights (and our shots didn't test their keeper...though Kim did test the crossbar), it looked like dross.

Losing to a team like Brisbane - especially 2-0 - is just completely unacceptable.

Biri is the only reason we're not stone motherless last. Perhaps Biri has been masking our problems - but he shouldn't be working that hard every game. Because unfortunately he does make mistakes too. The more he has to work, the more likely it is that his mistake will lead to a goal - and for most teams, the more you work the keeper, the more likely it is one will go through.

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

The Adelaide game got me thinking this way. Even if Jair and Duric are the difference going forward our lack of genuine depth will mean it won't be consistent for the whole season. Patches of form at best.
It is still a step forward from last year (I do I hope I can still say that later in the season). It looks like the first year in that 2 year team rebuild the club said was going to happen about 4 years ago.
Haven't we still been saying that at this early stage of the season every year?

turbo

I also believe if you want to play that system you need at least one very dependable experienced CB, we don’t have one of those. You’re talking about wanting to drop Ziggy and Clisby, that leaves your options for that 3 as Tongyik, Fox, Rowles? You wouldn’t play Miller in that as he’s too green. GG could drop in there perhaps but we would miss him in midfield, you also picked him out too.

I agree the question needs to be asked of Staj for that line up. At worst he got the tactical aspect very wrong, maybe there was a reason like niggling injuries we weren’t informed of but what he put out there according to the line up on the google match report that didn’t make much sense to me. I don’t have to even watch the game to say that and anyone that’s watched us would probably agree it’s not the set up they would have expected. Otherwise I don’t think Staj has been bad tactically. Let down by poor player performances at times though.

With the wide backs so far up and not being able to receive the ball square and move forward are we not already playing with 3 backs when they have the ball?

That’s not really 3 at the back though and plenty of teams playing a back 4 have the wide backs getting advanced in possession. I wouldn’t say Sydney play a back 3 and both Grant and Zullo get forward a lot.

Forum Phoenix

Last season we lose all 4 and concede 15. Its not good what we are doing but its less worse.We just have to stick with it until we can shift the dead wood (Ziggy, Judas, Simon,Melling etc) and replace them with either our juniors or actual AL footballers.
As for Clisby? He would look shit at CCU's level. What a dumpster fire of a footballer he is.
Maybe Fox gets a reprieve and Rowles plays LB?
Whatever though, we have to do something and f**k Clisby off
this for me

Forum Phoenix

Agree. That's why it needs to be Hatch. Clisby is showing how he hard he worked with Kennedy to make us so awful.

Last edited:

Forum Phoenix

Just looked at the goals....f**k me, what absolute trash. Clisby, doesn't even attempt the stop the ball going past his feet.
Gordon, doesn't even attempt to stop O'Donovan. I mean, that's just pathetic, disgraceful defending. And we've seen that shit from Gordon way too often. Him and Clisby are just as lazy as each other. Utter trash.

When I coached U/8 soccer, I used to run 'happy feet' drills with the team to encourage them to stay on their toes and not be flat footed. It seems that too many of these 'professionals' have forgotten the basics.

And that 2nd goal - GG didn't even try to win that header.

What the hell is going on in this team when we're conceding goals because our defenders can't even be bothered to try?

2 weeks ago, watching a defence that was so bad they looked like they were playing under protest I started to wonder something that I'm still wondering - Has Staj lost the changing room?

Because we're already seeing players who look like they just can't be stuffed being there. Watching the saves on Kayo, there was another run they had when Clisby didn't even attempt to win the header. I'm done with him. I'm surprised we didn't see more from Biri on that 2nd goal. He looked like he had started to move back that way.

And questions need to be asked of Staj too. Tactically he's been found wanting a few times this season already. Starting Simon, and Silvera on the bench - what's that all about? We're at our most dangerous with DDS/Silvera on the park together.

A month ago we were talking about being in the top 6. We had a defence that was pretty tight, we had a midfield that dominated and linked up to our attack, and players in attack that played well off each other and were approaching the box from all the angles and mixing it up.

Now......what's gone wrong? Even if we take the City game out of the equation and put it down to just being controlled by the best team in the comp, that still leaves 3 games where we still looked like wooden spoon contenders (and I'm including the win....because WU should have beaten us 3-1, they just forgot how to finish). Now, sure, I don't know how the rest of this game went. but just from those highlights (and our shots didn't test their keeper...though Kim did test the crossbar), it looked like dross.

Losing to a team like Brisbane - especially 2-0 - is just completely unacceptable.

Biri is the only reason we're not stone motherless last. Perhaps Biri has been masking our problems - but he shouldn't be working that hard every game. Because unfortunately he does make mistakes too. The more he has to work, the more likely it is that his mistake will lead to a goal - and for most teams, the more you work the keeper, the more likely it is one will go through.

Easy to see why Staj started Simon. We had ZERO presence upfront last week and no territory. And Simon is the only player who you'd look at to be able to hold the ball up. To do it he had to drop Oar, DDS or Silvera. And he chose the youngest least experienced player. All makes perfect sense to me. But it didn't work because Simon is no longer of standard, Oar had his worse game of the season, Clisby and Miller can't link or get in behind and DDS still makes bad choices and cannot dictate play.

We need a proper striker (2 to be honest). A better LB. Either DDS or Silvera central. And to fix our midfield balance. Stens GG and to Kim is not a good enough ball playing unit. They each do some good work, yet on balance they are being completely dominated every week. We need the better ball control of NIsbet and or Duric until we can strengthen our attack so that we can push teams back and defend less, like the last 15 against roar.

Very disappointed we missed out on DWH. Many saw them as similar level as little as a few months ago. But his impact compared to Murray is chalk and cheese.

FFC nailed it. There are positives, but we still have too much deadwood and we're simply being outclassed pound for pound at the moment.

Last edited:

Big Al

Ziggy Fox and Rowles could be a viable 3 as all defensive and Ziggy has experience as RB CB so would suit the right and Rowles the same for the left.

However Roar have already pulled away from 3 at the back as wasn’t working for them. If they can’t do it I doubt we can.

Also we haven’t been poor at the back.

It’s the middle and attack the most that needs the work and changes.

GG has at least 3 goals or penalties he’s responsible for. Ziggy got a little bit of bad luck on the first goal lady night and it changed the game.

Apart from City and AU tearing holes we have been alot better at the back

turbo

Maybe if you’re going to do it you look at 3-4-3 with a diamond
—————Birraz—————
——Ziggy—GG—Rowles——
—————Kim————-
——Duric————Stensness
—————DDS—————
—Silvera ——Jair——Oar—

That has a bit of flexibility built in. If you want GG in the mids you shuffle in Fox/Tongyik. They plus Miller are options if Ziggy is injured. Hatch or Clisby back up for Rowles (probably our weakest coverage). Duric or DDS can play the top of the diamond or Silvera too. Silvera can be covered by Murray or others if needed. Nisbet covers at any of the back 3 points of the diamond.

turbo

It’s the middle and attack the most that needs the work and changes.
I was writing up a possible 3-4-3 as you responded but I agree with what you’re saying. I didn’t get to watch the game but you’re never taking 3 points without scoring. Even scoring the 1 makes it a tough ask to hold on to the points.

We’ve scored 1 goal in 5 of our matches. 1 more against WSW gives us a draw. 1 more against Newcastle gives us a win. But we already knew about that issue.

pjennings

I get the angst about Clisby - but cannot agree about Ziggy - especially at CB.He mad a mistake against O'Donovan, He got to the ball first and tried to clear it. He just didn't realise that Roy was coming round to block the clearance.

Next game - we are coming off the bye and everyone should be fit - even Jair at least for 60 minutes.

Ads

I also believe if you want to play that system you need at least one very dependable experienced CB, we don’t have one of those. You’re talking about wanting to drop Ziggy and Clisby, that leaves your options for that 3 as Tongyik, Fox, Rowles? You wouldn’t play Miller in that as he’s too green. GG could drop in there perhaps but we would miss him in midfield, you also picked him out too.

I agree the question needs to be asked of Staj for that line up. At worst he got the tactical aspect very wrong, maybe there was a reason like niggling injuries we weren’t informed of but what he put out there according to the line up on the google match report that didn’t make much sense to me. I don’t have to even watch the game to say that and anyone that’s watched us would probably agree it’s not the set up they would have expected. Otherwise I don’t think Staj has been bad tactically. Let down by poor player performances at times though.

That’s not really 3 at the back though and plenty of teams playing a back 4 have the wide backs getting advanced in possession. I wouldn’t say Sydney play a back 3 and both Grant and Zullo get forward a lot.

Sorry, my point is we are left with 3 to defend because the 4th full back is advanced when not appropriate.

Grant and Zullo only advance when they have control of the ball and advance using triangles than a through ball to a cross or cut back.

Tevor

We looked very flat, feel we might have on purpose started slow to deal with the warm humid weather. I feel Staj wasn’t happy with our energy levels as well hence his yellow, most animated i’ve seen him all season on the side line.

Such a close comp with a win or loss you can move 4 places on the ladder.

For me it was disappointing as I don’t rate Roar and to lose 2-0 is the poorest result so far this season. Seems like we lost intensity because the are not a top team. Second time we have played terrible after a win as well. Next three games will be difficult to even get a point out of which makes this loss a worst result for our position. Expect us to be last by 31 Dec.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julihrb