• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

ACL Match Thread - Tianjin Tida 18/03/09

David Votoupal

Well done, it was a performance to be proud of. Some people seem to be writing off the Mariners' chances in the ACL, I for one am not.

ponno

Was a good game to watch - very exciting when we were 2-1 up and heartbreaking when we conceded that goal from the set piece ... was it just me or should they both have been stopped by the men on the posts?
We played heaps better and hopefully the scoring will continue at home...

dibo

well ossie's gone anyway, but i think he had a bad game rather than that he's a bad player. a fit elrich in that position would be good (we can but dream of a fit elrich, 5 years and 2 reconstructions ago maybe...). we've still got issues out wide generally.

from last night, i think the starting lineup was about right to stamp authority on the game and exercise control over the tempo and over possession. once the switch went to attack, the control over the tempo dropped as our threat on their goal rose - we saw the game open up and chances came at both ends.

that's largely because for all his positives, heff's not really much of a defender (but he's never been meant to be, just enough to do a job) and we gave up a defence-minded player in the middle in favour of caceres.

matty and porter both got through mountains of running. matty pulled left in the first half and right in the second while heff and osman dropped deeper and
bolstered the defence.

in the second half in particular, porter won so many loose balls, and huke really stamped out his space in the middle. a very jedi-like performance.

i'm a big fan of how we played in general, like last week we looked a lot more professional and settled in open play than we have for a long time. if the primary complaint is that in parts it looks very negative, then lawrie's hardly going to complain. we've been so open and loose in the past that we'd be absolutely murdered against tidy finishing, and it's a notable point that our goals conceded were from set pieces, and there's no excuse for that.

the positive point in that? at least there is now one identified weakness rather than a bagful.

the campaign's off to a good start, we're in second place and maybe a point behind what we would have optimistically budgeted for. kawasaki could have done us a favour and won in korea, but really it's up to us to get out of this group, not them.

dibo

Don said:
matt had a shaky start but improved throughout the game so i thought.

so how are you related to matt anyway?

EDIT - from your posts i'd guess you're his mum. he'd be so proud that his mum's looking after him against all the mean and nasty keyboard warriors.

bulldogmariner

I think the Mariners should try to bring in Hao Junman he was outstanding last night. Young player with lots of class. His corners were good too!

marinersman

The last thing we need now is a three week break. Last night was obviously a massive improvement on the week before and our momentum could easily be broken by the break. Right now we need an ACL match a week.

Does anybody know what trial games we have lined up before 8 April?

scottmac

Suspended
Arabmariner said:
Not often I'm impressed with Wilko but I thought he was a rock in defence and pushed up at the right times too.

I'm impressed with Huke.Potential to be better than Mile imo.

I think Wilko feels a lot more confident with Huke in the line up. Very impressed to see him step into space to recieve the ball and IMO this is the difference between a good mariners side and a shite one. looked like a fish out of water when he got forward, but was awesome to see, especially having someone with the brains to cover him.

Love Hukes power in shooting the ball as well, if signed for V5 he should score a few.

I think Bojic has done his dash for a while, to recieve a card which puts him out, for a stupid reaction is very poor. His form is really off and i don't think the team can afford to let him play his way out of it. Question is can Caceras play 90, or can someone else step up.

dibo

Don said:
NO...dont worry who i am,we are talking about the game.

i think it's important - you're persistently talking about matt and i think you have an interest, you've basically declared that you have but not the nature of the interest. please, sate my curiosity.

Bex

Does AFC have match reviews for "obvious errors" like A-League? If so, surely Mattys yellow card and associated suspension should be retracted.

I thought we had patches of good play, but there were also patches of shakiness. I'm still trying to work out who was controlling the tempo of that match. We had patches where we strung together many passes, but there were periods where we couldn't keep the ball for 1 or 2 passes. So, were our periods of passing because a) they were hanging back off us happy to let us pass it around, or b) were we really a bit clever, or c) something else?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred