• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

A New Marquee

serious14

Greenpoleffc said:
Ursus said:
To tell the truth I really do not know what he would come as. ::)

An object of scorn and derision??? Someone who will be almost as good as Maradonna (todays fat version of course)?? Water boy??

Surely fail the no DH policy??

Bitter much??  :p

Andy

Once again the media seem to be starting up the Dwight to CCM story. Heres the latest.

ENIGMATIC Dwight Yorke has indicated he would like to finish his playing days in Australia and he may well find a new home at the Central Coast Mariners.

And the Mariners are wasting little time to see what Yorke's thoughts are about returning to the A-League next season. Mariners executive chairman Lyall Gorman will meet with Yorke's Australian-based manager Paul Masluck on Wednesday.

"We'll sit down and chew the fat and see where Dwight is at with his career. Is he one who we could afford? We'll see what the story is with him,'' Gorman said yesterday.

Yorke, who masterminded Sydney FC's championship in the inaugural A-League season, is currently playing for Sunderland in the English Premier League.

He said on Fox Sports recently that he would like to rejoin Sydney FC if possible but understood there "might be other clubs interested in me''.

Yorke will be 37 in November and couldn't command the same money as when he first played in Australia. The Mariners are looking for a star attraction since John Aloisi's departure to Sydney FC for $1.4 million.

With former Socceroo Ahmad Elrich turning down the Newcastle Jets, Gorman said the Mariners would like to hold talks with the player.

"I was not aware he knocked back the Jets but he's a player we'd love to have discussions with,'' Gorman said.

Elrich's younger brother Tarek will be staying at the Jets, along with Adam D'Apuzzo but Stuart Musialik couldn't agree to the club's terms and is looking for a new club.

Musialik could also find his Beijing Olympic Games selection hopes in jeopardy now. He went missing after the Jets grand final win over the Mariners and didn't go to San Francisco with the Olyroos for the friendly against Mexico (1-1 draw).

The Mariners are waiting on legal advice before deciding whether to proceed with an appeal against the severity of goalkeeper Danny Vukovic's suspension for grabbing referee Mark Shield's hand in the grand final.

A Football Federation Australia disciplinary tribunal hearing earlier this week failed to overturn a nine-month ban which ruled him out of the Olympics in August.

FFA is expected to make an announcement on Monday regarding the composition of next season's A-League and if Gold Coast and Townsville have been successful with their entry bids.

Also a different take on the A. Elrich story by Lyall.

S

striker

Ursus said:
To tell the truth I really do not know what he would come as. ::)

He will come as a Lebo guy in his Gemini !

apart from that..... if he gets fit- he'll be handy on the R wing imo.....bett than what we have at present.

Andy

graaant said:
Wow, how insane is this!
Surely we couldn't and wouldn't sign Elrich and Yorke!?

I don't doubt it. Ahmad under the cap and Yorke as marquee.

What wouold be insane, is if we lowered some of Yorke's salary since he's coaching and fit him under the cap, then sign a new marquee.

priorpeter

Andy said:
graaant said:
Wow, how insane is this!
Surely we couldn't and wouldn't sign Elrich and Yorke!?

I don't doubt it. Ahmad under the cap and Yorke as marquee.

What wouold be insane, is if we lowered some of Yorke's salary since he's coaching and fit him under the cap, then sign a new marquee.

Very Do-able IMO.. and if we signed a reasonably big name marquee, that would be some pretty big crowd pulling power methinks.. With Yorke, A. Elrich and Mr Big Name Good Player Guy, mmmmmmmm i likie the thought.

tyson

hell yeah. id love yorke.

mile dispossessing, up the guts to yorke at half way who splays it wide to ahmed - ahmed crosses onto the volley of nik mrdja. BANG. 19, 000 people going ballistic in yellow.

if dwight worked thoroughly on the academy, as a starting point for his coaching career in the CCM camp, imagine how much that would attract young guys to want to come and be developed by us...especially once we get this training/accomodation facility up and running.

graaant

Yes!
Yorke as coach would be brilliant for the academy and reserve teams training.
Oh, I can just imagine it now, players like Osman and Porter would get so much experience for them, those guys are underrated as it is, they'd improve 10 fold with someone like Yorke playing and training with them!

I wonder what'll happen to Kwas..

tyson

im more worried about what would happen to hutch... dwight would surely take his spot in the starting line up...

Marquee

Kwas and hutch will have to lift to gain their spot in the team. Bit of competition is the best thing for them to improve. I know what you are saying though.

tyson

yeh, id prefer dwight on the field,  but hutch was a guy who lifted the team and kept them together. he is a bit of a leader.

graaant

Hutch could prove to be a good impact player, especially if having to work hard for his spot. Could be good.
If we don't sign Yorke as marquee and can get a tried and tested striker, fuuuck we'd be unstoppable!

tyson

graaant said:
Hutch could prove to be a good impact player, especially if having to work hard for his spot. Could be good.
If we don't sign Yorke as marquee and can get a tried and tested striker, fuuuck we'd be unstoppable!

hence the big question mark hanging over mrdjas head.

tyson

Vukovic
Osman-Boogaard-Wilkinson-Heffernan
Elrich----Jedinak----Yorke----Caceres
            Petrovski-Mrdja

I am pretty confident that team would win some silverware.
I couldn't see us signing both Elrich and Yorke under the cap... unless the coaching thing has some huge benefits in Dwights salary.

graaant

That's a strong squad there, I'd be confident we could take the silverware.

Any news on Mrdja's progress?

tyson

no idea. but i think he will say. i know he gets a hard time by people when hes out for never playing, because my mates always do it to him, lol. i think he would want to prove himself to the coast before he goes and i am pretty sure he said it in an interview once.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred