• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2020/21 Season

Forum Phoenix

Yeah, this is something I really just don’t think the club has had the time to be properly engaged in. In fact it’s a deficiency of the whole league,

if you don’t give fans something, anything to talk about, you just become out of sight out of mind. Fans aren’t only interested in signings and games. They’ll happily pore over the minutiae.

In the early years Mariners - partly because we were still new, partly because we were successful, but Mariners were nearly always in the conversation. On the coast they really were a part of the Xeitgeist. Not as crazy as American football towns but on the way with baskets in stores, schools, and a decent level of general community discussion.

In the early years Mariners because partly we were still new, partly we were successful, but Mariners were nearly always in the conversation. On the coast they really were a part of the Zeitgeist. Not as crazy as American football towns but on the way with a decent level of general community discussion.

We have all but disappeared from the conversation. All the losing is a key part but it’s not the only part.

The people who bother to go on here, are for the most part, what you call your mavens. The information spreads out from us into many smaller conversations that you hope will spread again from there.

Right now, Because if a long turn around, there’s no conversation, And the club really wants to be in the conversation, as often as possible. Especially after a couple of wins.

In summary, please tell us more shit. Thanks.

Last edited:

turbo

If you don’t give fans something, anything to talk about, you just become out of sight out of mind. Fans aren’t only interested in signings and games. They’ll happily pore over the minutiae.
Don't disagree but IMO part of the problem is the last 12 months have been like an action movie with no pacing just explosions and crazy stuff one upping each other all over the place. COVID this, Trump that, even locally the council drama, the news cycle is exhausting at the moment. It doesnt leave a lot of room for the small talk.

shipwreck

Nah I reckon they can do better tbh. This is the world of viral tiktok and free media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Put a photo up of the new players arriving tk their first training sesh, videos of them chatting, play some music over the top, find out how to say stuff in Polish..

Like seriously it's not f**king hard, dumb teenagers have millions of followers and no marketing experience, frankly I think the club can do better. Bombard me with stuff!

pjennings

Don't disagree but IMO part of the problem is the last 12 months have been like an action movie with no pacing just explosions and crazy stuff one upping each other all over the place. COVID this, Trump that, even locally the council drama, the news cycle is exhausting at the moment. It doesnt leave a lot of room for the small talk.
Nah I reckon they can do better tbh. This is the world of viral tiktok and free media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Put a photo up of the new players arriving tk their first training sesh, videos of them chatting, play some music over the top, find out how to say stuff in Polish..

Like seriously it's not f**king hard, dumb teenagers have millions of followers and no marketing experience, frankly I think the club can do better. Bombard me with stuff!
I think you both have good points.

There certainly is a crowded news cycle and people can forget about their team.

On the other side - following a team can be the thing in your life that you can rely on for being constant. In that context the more content that is out there the better as people want to forget the other crap going on in the world.

turbo

Absolutely, and more content is always good for those looking for it. My point was more it’s a difficult time to push the club back in to the psyche of the region. They can still work with local TV & radio to highlight our successes and build towards that but dead air to fill is in short supply lately.

priorpeter

We’ve been blessed over the years to have some pretty phenomenal people come through the ranks at the club - particularly media managers. I’d include the incumbent among them. As it is, he’s often in 4 or 5 places at once and working 27 hour days.
Agree with Turbo - there’s not much dead air to fill, and if also we’re over-saturating content it risks becoming background/white noise. TBH, if this is the biggest gripe we have this season then I’d say on the whole the club is doing ok.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah, this is something I really just don’t think the club has had the time to be properly engaged in. In fact it’s a deficiency of the whole league,

if you don’t give fans something, anything to talk about, you just become out of sight out of mind. Fans aren’t only interested in signings and games. They’ll happily pore over the minutiae.

In the early years Mariners because partly we were still new, partly we were successful, but Mariners were nearly always in the conversation. On the coast they really were a part of the Xeitgeist. Not as crazy as American football towns but on the way with a decent level of general community discussion.

We have all but disappeared from the conversation. All the losing is a key part but it’s not the only part.

The people who bother to go on here, are for the most party, what you call your mavens. The information spreads out from us into m m any smaller conversations that you hope will spread again from there.

Right now, Because if a long turn around, there’s no conversation, And the club really wants to be in the conversation, as often as possible. Especially after a couple of wins,

I think that’s true. But the media are doing everything they can to ensure this is the new normal.

We all know A league marketing has been poor and the new owner model is purportedly and hopefully going to fix this. Bottom line we have to compete whether we like it or not. But that said, in this instance I’m not even talking about how we’re competing in the public square. And it in part makes my point.

I’m talking about engaging and utilising what is your easiest group to reach. One of my businesses is film. Only Hollywood can afford to market to four quadrants. And hard core fans are by far the easiest to engage with and empower. Also helps in keeping the narrative positive. Everyone definitely starts to get pissed and given our recent history, assumes the worst when things go quiet and we’re hungry for info. And imo CCM goes too quiet, too often, for too long.

I never bang on about it though, because I appreciate the lack of time and resources and expect the staff are almost certainly already punching above their weight.

But simply recognising, and capitalising on, the fact that all serious fan communities feed off tidbits and gossip and a little each day will actually go a long way, seems essential. Especially In an expensive competitive market place, and you have a smaller regional community. I’ve little doubt that the best bang for buck is feeding your hard core community often and well.

it’s arguably one of the few competitive advantages we have. Water cooler conversation and a bit of social media gossip can go a long way in a community of only 300k. I remember when a few teeets by Lawrie felt exciting and a big deal.

But seriously, think how bare it would be right now without the pod boys doing what they’re doing?

IMO it’s an area the club could drastically improve in for very little effort, that would only help them better achieve what they’re working towards.

Last edited:

shipwreck

I think that’s true. But the media are doing everything they can to ensure this is the new normal.

We all know A league marketing has been poor and the new owner model is purportedly and hopefully going to fix this. Bottom line we have to compete whether we like it or not. But that said, in this instance I’m not even talking about how we’re competing in the public square. And it in part makes my point.

I’m talking about engaging and utilising what is your easiest group to reach. One of my businesses is film. Only Hollywood can afford to market to four quadrants. And hard core fans are by far the easiest to engage with and empower. Also helps in keeping the narrative positive. Everyone definitely starts to get pissed and given our recent history, assumes the worst when things go quiet and we’re hungry for info. And imo CCM goes too quiet, too often, for too long.

I never bang on about it though, because I appreciate the lack of time and resources and expect the staff are almost certainly already punching above their weight.

But simply recognising, and capitalising on, the fact that all serious fan communities feed off tidbits and gossip and a little each day will actually go a long way, seems essential. Especially In an expensive competitive market place, and you have a smaller regional community. I’ve little doubt that the best bang for buck is feeding your hard core community often and well.

it’s arguably one of the few competitive advantages we have. Water cooler conversation and a bit of social media gossip can go a long way in a community of only 300k. I remember when a few teeets by Lawrie’s felt exciting and a big deal.

But seriously, think how bare it would be right now without the pod boys doing what they’re doing?

IMO it’s an area the club could drastically improve in for very little effort, that would only help them better achieve what they’re working towards.
This 100% is how I feel.

Forum Phoenix

Totally agree. For every well written glossy article they produce, Their should be twenty Lo fi snips of content that take less time and money than it cost to do the one.

Forum Phoenix

I actually half wrote before, that the club should just employ you casually to ramp up what you already bloody do.

My second post probably explains my position in regard to your other post. Again for the most part I don’t disagree, but regardless of saturation, competing is not a choice. But what I’m really taking about is the kind of Lo-fi grass roots communications that feeds your hard core fans and creates broader conversation on the community level. Just like the pod does,

Last edited:

shipwreck

I think the fact that the first place I go to when I want Mariners news is not the Mariners official channels, it's this forum speaks volumes about the lack of meat on the bones.

This should be a place where we discuss rumours or press releases that have already been promulgated, not a place where I'm so bored at the lack of things to talk about that I'm talking about the lack of things to talk about.

style_cafe

In the early years Mariners - partly because we were still new, partly because we were successful, but Mariners were nearly always in the conversation. On the coast they really were a part of the Xeitgeist. Not as crazy as American football towns but on the way with baskets in stores, schools, and a decent level of general community discussion.

In the early years Mariners because partly we were still new, partly we were successful, but Mariners were nearly always in the conversation. On the coast they really were a part of the Zeitgeist. Not as crazy as American football towns but on the way with a decent level of general community discussion.

The people who bother to go on here, are for the most part, what you call your mavens. The information spreads out from us into many smaller conversations that you hope will spread again from there.

Right now, Because if a long turn around, there’s no conversation, And the club really wants to be in the conversation, as often as possible. Especially after a couple of wins.

In summary, please tell us more shit. Thanks.
Brilliant!!! One of the best posts i`ve seen on here for a long time.
I `m like you and all the others here,I crave information about our team.
I don`t care it`s a Matt Simon siting in Terrigal,a transfer rumour or Dan the man dancing just let us know.
As FP said we need to engage in conversation and you guys hold the key...:popcorn:

Ancient Mariner

You have to admit though that we are luckier than most with Shaun appearing on the pod and coming here on here occasionally.

What we really need is a great source of fairly reliable, non harmful rumours, that can be spread and hopefully appear in the press.

Good gossip drives interest much more than fluff pieces released to the press,.

pjennings

Everything’s Coming up Marvin​

By Jack George 57 mins ago

After ending last season in bottom place for the third year in a row, things are finally looking up for the Central Coast Mariners. With two wins from two games to start the season, people are starting to think that the Mariners could be on track to returning to their glory days.
Alen Stajcic has already stated in an interview with the A-League’s official website that he has set the season goal of qualifying for the Asian Champions League, which would be quite an achievement to go from last to inside the top three. As I explored in an earlier article on The Reserve team, a thriving Mariners can be nothing but good for the league.
Whilst it’s only two matches into the season, I believe that this is no fluke, and things will continue to look up for the Central Coast Mariners.
In their recent game to Macarthur, they showed what Alen Stajcic will likely try and do for the rest of the season.

Lining up in a 4-4-2 formation, they have two tall strikers, both capable of holding up play and bringing the ball down. They played with two physical central midfielders, in Gianni Stensness and Oliver Bozanic, both capable of winning defensive duels and balls in the air.
On the right Stajcic has used Josh Nisbet, who has only played centrally previously. At first, I suspected that Stajcic had no choice but to use him there, but Nisbet has performed admirably.
Capable of winning possession up high, Nisbet helps the Mariners when they press, but his best two qualities are his work rate and his discipline. He allows the Mariners to defend deep in possession and stay solid by holding his position and putting his defensive actions ahead of his attacking ones. He also finds energy to get forward and is quite mobile, utilising his pace and passing well.
Alen Stajcic has actually set up his side similar to Sean Dyche’s Burnley. Two tall strikers in a 4-4-2, where they sit deep and look to play long-balls either in behind or to the feet or head of the two strikers. Their only true creative player is on the left; For Burnley Dwight McNeil (who is currently injured) and for the Mariners, Daniel De Silva or Jadon Casella, who drift in from the left of midfield.
As we have seen with Burnley, this style of football is the perfect way to get by when you’re on a lower budget. A study, by the Guardian, showed that on the 30th of June 2018, Burnley had the 18th highest wage budget in the league.

Despite having a budget that, realistically, should see Burnley finish in the relegationzone, they finished the 2017/18 season in an amazing seventh place. In 18/19 they finished 15th, a drop off, but they still overperformed their estimated budget.
Last season Burnley were back up in the top ten. They are currently16th this season, with fifteen games at the time of writing, onepoint behind Newcastle and two behind the rest of the teams around them.
While some may consider that playing long-ball is a short-term strategy designed to keep teams off the bottom of the table, Burnley have shown that, with a high sample size of five years, they achieve results and finish higher than they are expected to, showing that Alen Stajcic’s call about qualifying for the Asian Champions league could be correct – it’s just unlikely to be this season.
Individual players have also suited a change in tactics and personnel. Kye Rowles is looking much less error-prone at the start of the season, as is his partner Ruon Tongyik. The latter has been unlucky with injuries, but while possessing good passing from the back and anticipation, he has often showed signs of mistakes in defence, something which worried Stajcic last season.
However, playing in a lower defensive line as a pair, Rowles and Tongyik are coming into their own and seem to be developing into the potential they showed early in their careers, with Tongyik only being 24 and Rowles being 22.
People often forget how young Rowles really is, having made sixty-one appearances already across five seasons, (including season 2020-21), in the A-League.
Alou Kuol has also provided versatility up front. He can hold up play, break lines and also get in behind, and feeds of scraps extremely well as shown by his first A-League goal.
Some of the older players have showed improvements, too. Matt Simon is coping a lot better after Oliver Bozanic became club captain after signing a contract with Central Coast.
I felt that Simon often got carried away with the responsibility, taking it to heart when a referee made a decision against his side, and was extremely protective of his teammates, standing up for them. This usually carried on too far and explains his disciplinary record last season.
However, with this weight off his shoulders, he is allowing himself to focus on his individual game, and it is paying off with two calmer performances to open the season.
Simon is underrated in his ability to hold the ball, being able to drop off the attacking line, and link play with clever switches. He also has the physical capability to play as an advanced forward, which makes him and Kuol a good team.
Whilst the sample size is small, the Mariners’ statistics show a steady upward trend. The Mariners frustrated Macarthur with their deep defence; the A-League’s new franchise took fourteen shots with an expected goal of only 0.55, meaning they shot often but with little chance of finding a goal.
The Mariners only had eight touches inside Macarthur’s box and scored with two of them, while the defensive statistics also look promising – they won 67 defensive duels to Macarthur’s 45 and made 48 interceptions and 34 clearances.
Frequent formation changes, individual errors and the inability to take chances, cost the Mariners last season. In the 2019/20 campaign, they were expected to score 29.3 goals but only scored 26, showing they lacked clinical ability and players who could score from low-probability chances.
While the Central Coast Mariners have only played two games, the stability in system, improvements in defence and the showing of a more clinical game all show improvement. With all three foreigners now out of lockdown, 2021 could finally be the year that sees the Mariners off the bottom of the table.

Insertnamehere

I was just reading some garbage about MacArthur and their concrete saw and how it improves the iAL. Well we have the cannon for goals. Maybe we need a foghorn for when things get a bit quiet at the stadium. Unless people know some other nautical noise paraphernalia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooChami