• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2011/2012 Player thread

style_cafe

IMO Chipperfield would give great value to our team.He is not one to feign injury & has given his all to the teams he has played for.
The most important factors to consider are:-
a) Do we really need him
We have Ollie,Rose,Hutcho & Lewis that can all play LM
B) Do we have the $$$ to pay him.
Maybe REDBUS or BUSWAYS could sponsor him?....lol

Roy Law

If so, my memory is failing me badly. How many matches did he miss?

Hard to find the stats but according to Club Home Site in 06/07 he played 14 of 21 games, which tends towards my theory, and in 07/08 he played 18 of 22 which shows he made a good recovery :). Neither shows how many he missed with red cards but I do remember one against Adelaide away.
These don't show finals but as we know he did play in the GF against the Jets :(

Wombat

Looks like Jeffers is leaving the Jets in January. I wonder how he'd fit in here? Do we have a foreign spot for him?

Jeffers, although being a car thief/scouser, is a good player and would be a very good signing for us. Dare i say it, he has more quality in the box than we are used to.

Wombat

IMO Chipperfield would give great value to our team.He is not one to feign injury & has given his all to the teams he has played for.
The most important factors to consider are:-
a) Do we really need him
We have Ollie,Rose,Hutcho & Lewis that can all play LM
B) Do we have the $$$ to pay him.
Maybe REDBUS or BUSWAYS could sponsor him?....lol

Agree with Style Cafe, Before we signed Rose i'd have snapped your hand off. Chippers is a Top quality LB but Rose is younger and alot faster. I think Bozanic is a better LM than Chippers and as a striker i think he would be pretty poor.
I would save our money for a player we really need.

cbowden9000

Jeffers, although being a car thief/scouser, is a good player and would be a very good signing for us. Dare i say it, he has more quality in the box than we are used to.

I definitely agree. I'd look past his short spell with Newcastle because he is exactly the type of player we need and don't have. We're pretty much sweet in all other areas tbh.

Deej

we cannot afford him

heck, newcastle had to let him go because he didn't fit under their cap

This.......if they can't fit under the cap we can't get them.

Unless we get someone to throw a load of dosh our way the squad we have now is the squad we'll finish the season with I'd say. We haven't even got an injury replacement for Porter whose gone for the season.

Even next year I think the only changes we'll see to the squad is a new striker to replace Mrdja, Lewis and Doig could face the chop and perhaps Kwas. Kwas has his critics but he is our joint top scorer and is a useful player on a decent salary, Lewis is young and would be on minimal wage but we do have quite a few options on the left, GA may wish to strengthen another area, and Doig is on good money from what I understand, I think we could get just as good a backup player on less money personally and free up some coin for a better striker for example.

scoober

from all understanding we don't spend the cap anyway so there is always room to fill with better player... just whether we do or not.

Deej

from all understanding we don't spend the cap anyway so there is always room to fill with better player... just whether we do or not.

Yep that's right, but we still have to try and balance the books, if we spend the whole cap we wouldn't be able to do the other. Hopefully that will change over time once we get more investment and COE etc.

marinermick

we are close to the cap and any gap is because we cannot afford any more

if we cannot afford to house the players overnight in perth and make them come back on the red-eye, how are we going to afford someone like jeffers?

like it or not we have the poorest owner in the a-league

Forum Phoenix

we are close to the cap and any gap is because we cannot afford any more

if we cannot afford to house the players overnight in perth and make them come back on the red-eye, how are we going to afford someone like jeffers?

like it or not we have the poorest owner in the a-league

I might sound like a loon, but I genuinely like it - or perhaps I should say I like what it's engendered...

A lack of resources means you have to think creatively, "big picture" and outside the box. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that... You can't just throw money at problems and expect anything but a short term fix or some passing glory.

And the case in point is us... lowest population and the lowest resources in the HAL and yet we now have such an impressive club, in fact we are the off field leaders in the model of an OZ football club and its development. Thats an achievement actually well beyond winning any premiership.

Really makes you think of what an incredible job our clubs management, volunteers and foundation players have achieved. They must have over come SO MANY obstacles behind closed doors to get us to this point.

Anyhow would we have achieved all that if we were more cashed up? Possibly, but
none of the other clubs have, and it would seem fair to say they probably just haven't been motivated enough.

But yeah, when it came to buying Marquees etc... it would be nice to have coin to splash like Adelaide appears to atm... And GCU - the German is pretty impressive guest cover for Culina...

But! Our time will come as the COE grows and our revenue streams broaden.
And in the interim, we are really playing some exciting attractive football this year thats been a real joy to watch.

Roy Law

We may be the poorest but we are a lot smarter with our money than reigning premiers Sydney who sit 12 points behind us and have played two games more. Whilst they complain about the salary cap being too high (despite the fact they can afford to spend on a marquee player) we don't whinge we just give Ryan and Amini their chance...Sometimes it is really good to be a Mariners Supporter :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred