• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2011/2012 Player thread

cbowden9000

So Pedj added another 2 years on top of his 1 year extension? Is that what you're saying or am I getting ahead of myself? If so - fantastic news!

Bex

Mariners web site says its a 1 year extension however they mentioned 2 years during the telecast of the game last night. I would tend to trust the Mariners web site TBH.

pjennings

we are close to the cap and any gap is because we cannot afford any more

if we cannot afford to house the players overnight in perth and make them come back on the red-eye, how are we going to afford someone like jeffers?

like it or not we have the poorest owner in the a-league

Forgetting about this year except maybe as a guest player, but maybe a marquee is what we need. Our crowds this year have been so-so. If we got a true marquee what would that do to the crowds.

15 games by $20 per ticket * 5,000 extra tickets per game (which is only 11,000 to 12,000 at each game) is $1.5million. I know it dependes on what the marquee would cost. IMHO spending $1 million on Culina each season does nothing to add bums on seats at GCU.

A real marquee, howvever, properly handled, could get coast crowds back to Season 3 summer levels.

And no Jeffers is not that marquee - though I would be happy to have him for a 10 game guest stint including the finals.

Forum Phoenix

Good post Pat and a worthwhile thought.

I, like I'm sure everyone else, would love to know more of what's happening behind the scenes in these regards.
We could have been searching high and low but haven't found one to fit the bill... or... due to $$ restrictions we are not even considering looking and won't be for next season either - regardless of possible increases in the gate.

I'd understand either way, but as a fan, when other clubs announce marquees and new signings - you can't help but look around a little forlornly and hope something is going to be announced for your club just around the corner...
:unsure:

dibo

The thought of a marquee drawing an extra 5k through the gates is as tempting as it is misleading I fear. A marquee will bring the curious and the hitherto disinterested, but probably won't keep them. There are at least ten non-marquee players on the park who need to join together to comprise a *team* that draws the fans.

Drawing fans is a difficult ask too. Look at Brisbane - sensational football, loads of goals, great players and win plenty but wouldn't draw a bumper crowd if you promised them all that they'd get ten minutes ploughing Megan Gale after the match.

The only thing you're guaranteed with a marquee is a big wage bill. There's got to be something else there. What that something is is anybody's guess.

pjennings

The thought of a marquee drawing an extra 5k through the gates is as tempting as it is misleading I fear.

I'm not saying it is easy. As I said spending $1 million on Culina each season does nothing to add bums on seats at GCU.

We have already shown that there is a market for around 12,000 on the coast. Why aren't they coming now? The right marquee, that would also draw people from northern or greater Sydney would help to get us back to that level and maybe higher. A 12,000 average crowd is definitely achievable. The problem lies in whether the cost of the marquee outweighs the increase in gate takings and sponsorships.

A national sponsor that has a connection to the coast, can cover all or some of the cost of the player, and use them as the focus of their advertising would be ideal.

someguy

i reckon matt simon should not be leading the line- even if it means hes playing in behind another striker as a second striker. his skill set- opportunistic goals, finding good positions in the attack, tackiling hard, crossing/ setting up goals- and his flaws- not so great at 1 v 1s, beating players- imo make him far more suited to a role behind the front line.- similar to (but obviously not as good as) tim cahill, rather than a front man- as he often plays

Matt--Simon

Mariners are expect to announce the resigning of Michael McGlinchey on new 3-year-deal.

Has anyone else heard of this. Is there any truth to it?

shipwreck

Brilliant!! We will make some money off him in a few years, he is alot better than James holland and he sold for 750k!!

Roy Law

he hasn't resigned, he has re-signed. There is a huge difference between the two. Three years is brilliant - says a lot about the club, a lot about the player and a lot about a wee scottish lad loving life in Australia.

Forum Phoenix

From BBC sport...

Motherwell sign Michael McGlinchey from Mariners
Motherwell have completed the loan signing of New Zealand international midfielder Michael McGlinchey...

Ok heart attacks may cease now.

Dated Feb 1st...
:D

Thats pretty ancient news ancient mariner.
:p

Perhaps they are after another loan deal at seasons end?
Gets to go home see the relo's, maybe play a few minutes off the bench and get paid for it.
??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred