• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

2014 AFC Champions League

tsd

brent grif was excellent apart from the obvious incident. a similar situation to early season siep where playing very well for majority of the game but making a few highly visible mistakes that will put the casual observers off side. did the right thing 9/10 times

Cernak showed the fantastic potential that has often been sighted. a handy player to have on the books for next season

reddy. 2 saves in a game but MOM says a lot about the quality

the flexibility in the front 3rd is great to see. love seeing wingers swap sides and a few guys have a run at 9 and 10, really added to the attack by putting an element of confusion for their defenders not switching etc

iEatHands

We need a roof over Bay16 to project that sweet sweet noise! You guys have never come through the TV so clear before! It was having an obvious effect of the acoustics. I could even hear someone call "WHO DO WE SING FOR!!?" without the mega and the response came! Thats unreal!

nebakke

I won't rate all of our players, but as I saw things quite differently from some others on here, I'll say:

I was encouraged by Griffiths and Cernak, and even Seip without his goal (which was lovely technique).

This! - I'm with both of you on Griff2 - I actually think he's a good defender with plenty of promise - unfortunately he seems to make at least one SERIOUS mistake every game he's in. I'm hoping another off season can get that our of him.

I thought Monty and Zac had shockers - every time they got the ball you could audibly hear the intact of air in the crowd around me, with the risk of losing possession .. and they often did ... very relieved when Storm came on.

I'm not sure I agree with you on Ando, I thought he did alright for himself but definitely agree with Monty, he wasn't quite himself and made some strange decisions at times and he did seem to struggle with holding on to the ball.

Bernie is still not a threat for 90 mins .. impact is better later

Duke needs to back himself and shoot more on sight.

I actually thought Bernie did quite well throughout, I'm more concerned about Duke. He seemed to run out of puff a bit towards the end.
But I actually think that Mossy's been doing well to get them on later as impacters... Matty to tire the defense out and knock them around a little, Dukie to run past them laster.
his best.

And I don't know what John Crawley puts in the food for our goalies, but even looking at Pasfield's improvement, JC is doing SOMETHING right.

At the end of the day though, I thought that the Beijing Bully - Can't remember his name - was lucky to not frustrate the ref enough to receive a yellow at some point.

Roy Law

Reddy. Seip. Go!
Take a bow, Marcel Seip. Dogged with the tag of not being Patrick Zwaanswijk, the dour Dutchman was the hero of the hour with his winning goal in this important encounter. From wooden clog to Dutch Master: check out the volley Van Persie!
Take a bow, too, Liam Reddy. The much-travelled much-troubled gloveman stepped up yet again to rescue the Mariners; his saving of the penalty the turning point of the game. At the A-League’s last chance saloon he has moved from social pariah to genuine contender for the Mariners’ player of the year.
Phil Moss said at the weekend that every Mariner was a first team player, even those who have to sit and watch from the stands. He stood by his word and brought Brent Griffiths and Isaka Cernak into the starting line-up. Matt Simon, not surprisingly after the battering he took against the Wanderers, and Eddie Bosnar, were not in the squad.
The first half was almost uneventful; the Mariners were calm, composed and confident but quite conservative. It was almost a case of nothing to see here, move right along. Bernie had a half chance when the ball rebounded off the post off a defender and should have done better when he raced through but his touch was just too heavy; a lay-off to the unmarked Cernak may have been a better option. Bernie did net but only after a foul for pushing by the energetic Cernak. And Kim Seung-yong disappointed with a poor free kick right on the edge of the area. Reddy provided the real highlight: his intelligent reading of the play having him in position to pull off a smart one handed save from a rare Guoan break away.
In the second half The Mariners needed to lift the tempo and they did with the motivated Duke prominent. On the hour mark Moss made a significant tactical change, bringing on Storm Roux for Anderson; Seip moving to centre back. Roux brought attacking intent down the right and was quickly involved.
It was an indication of how well the Mariners were defending when Guoan took off the ineffective Utaka, who had been so devastating in Beijing; Griffiths and Zac Anderson had done a pretty good job. Griffiths with his impressive physique, tanned body and golden locks looks like a Greek Adonis; the pairing with Zac Anderson must be the best looking combo in world football! Not that I need to tell them that; I am sure they already know.
Looking good may be the mantra of modern society but it doesn’t mean you know how to defend and Adonis was completely undone by the skills of Guerron, and, thrown off balance, awkwardly brought down the attacker for a clear cut penalty. Griffiths looked mortified but Liam Reddy is a winner and he saved Griffiths, and the Mariners, from disaster. The penalty was a poor one; it wasn’t well placed and was at saveable height but the secret to saving a penalty is to guess the right way to dive. Reddy did; it was the turning point of the game and quite possibly of the Mariners’ ACL campaign.
Ten minutes later came Seip’s winner. Bernie had a shot blocked and the ball fell to Nick Montgomery. Monty had not had the best night with his passing until now but played a delightful Flores killer pass to free Kim in the penalty area. Kim, who had a shocker of a night from set pieces, delivered the perfectly weighted cross to Seip. Seip surprised us all as he elegantly caressed the volley into the back of the net leaving the goalkeeper helpless. It was as good a goal as you will see all season.
There was to be no way back for Guoan; the pumped up Mariners, with Fitzgerald on for Cernak, pushed for more. Rose almost wriggled through. Trifiro replaced Kim. In time added on a dazzling combination down the left almost had the Mariners in for a second and then Fitzgerald, played in by an excellent ball from Duke, found himself one on one with the keeper; all Fitzgerald had to do was round the keeper but the keeper showed that Mat Ryan isn’t the one with good feet and he read Fitzgerald easily to dispossess him and play the ball to safety.
With Simon and Bosnar not playing, and Caceres and Sterjovski warming the bench, you can only agree with Mossey’s view on the strength of his squad. The Mariners were completely unafraid of Guoan. This was a famous and deserved victory, a great night for Central Coast football. Roll on Perth.
The exploits of Reddy and Seip aside, I thought the back four did very well, apart from Griffith’s calamity. Rose was quality for the ninety minutes; Roux gave a real lift down the right. Montgomery and Hutchinson provided real steel in midfield; Kim had his best game in Mariners colours. Duke’s unrewarded effort upfront was extraordinary; such energy! My MoM goes to the Dutchman, not just for that exquisite goal but also for quality defending in two different positions. Congratulations Marcel Seip, a Central Coast Mariner in his own right.

MagpieMariner

I hope the people in the stand were as happy to have the band behind their heads for 108 minutes.
they didn't sit in active support .
as for the sound I imagine that on the west side it was good . but in the lower tear there could well have been an acoustic
shadow .
it's horses for courses
My son-in-law & I were very happy to have them behind us. I saw a few sour-faces get up & move, but you can't please everybody. From the look of their faces, they probably like being at the cricket doing a polite clap & eating cucumber sandwiches. :)

MagpieMariner

I thought both wee Griff & Cernak did well, considering the amount of game time they've had (or haven't had). Cernak has a fair bit of experience for his age, so I expect him to be a valuable member of the team after Mossie's had him for a full pre-season (although I don't expect him to start very often). Let's not forget he was playing first team for AU, so he's not the worst player we could've got.

Wombat

Cernak did ok.....but if that was a trial, I wouldn't sign him.

He has pace and energy but lacks close ball control.

nebakke

Cernak did ok.....but if that was a trial, I wouldn't sign him.

Not sure that I agree on this - squaddie and all...

He has pace and energy but lacks close ball control.

But THIS!!! I thought he was relatively handy - with or without the ball control, if nothing else, I think his speed did plenty to introduce insecurity into their defence.... If he can actually establish the ball control, he'll be a good, dangerous man...

Big Al

As it stands with ccm top of their group + wsw second in their group = ccm v wsw in round of 16

That would be fun!
Come on you Wanderers - Make this happen - If we beat FC Soul we are a real chance but I'd say we both end up 2nd in our groups.

nebakke

Might actually get close to a couple of sell-out ACL games if we top the group and Wanderers come second ;)
Tbh, I'm not too confident of either right now though... The boys did well yesterday but I still feel that both of the teams left are a relatively unknown proposition. Sanfrecce - well yes, we did beat them at home, but we were as much an unknown to them as they were to us, I'm thinking we all expect them to come out firing a lot harder when we play them in Japan.
Seoul - I don't think we have ANY way of gauging how that one's going to go... The boys weren't exactly themselves, so that's a positive, if you know what I mean, but then, at full strength they might still be a scary proposition.... But then, hopefully the fact that they "only" held Sanfrecce to a tie, after being behind, where we beat them at home, means that we're in with a decent chance.... ARGH! I want to know but want enjoy us being top of the group for a little! ;)

Big Al

Might actually get close to a couple of sell-out ACL games if we top the group and Wanderers come second ;)
Tbh, I'm not too confident of either right now though... The boys did well yesterday but I still feel that both of the teams left are a relatively unknown proposition. Sanfrecce - well yes, we did beat them at home, but we were as much an unknown to them as they were to us, I'm thinking we all expect them to come out firing a lot harder when we play them in Japan.
Seoul - I don't think we have ANY way of gauging how that one's going to go... The boys weren't exactly themselves, so that's a positive, if you know what I mean, but then, at full strength they might still be a scary proposition.... But then, hopefully the fact that they "only" held Sanfrecce to a tie, after being behind, where we beat them at home, means that we're in with a decent chance.... ARGH! I want to know but want enjoy us being top of the group for a little! ;)
Depends on where we come in A League - If we can win this week & MV, WSW & AU all fall over we could tie up 2nd spot prior to Brisvegas allowing us to throw that game & concentrate on FC Soul.

Soul were pretty good but we were completely shit at that time with no confidence & if Rosey had put his chance away we could have nabbed a point. While they are dangerous we are certainly better then we were then.

Only problem for me is that now it's the business part of the ACL. With our group so tight will they go for the win & bring a strong squad to get them into the next round or leave players behind? I think they'll go all out to progress.

Sanfrence will be a nightmare in Japan. Really need to hope the results go our way. Even if they win there next game they still won't be clear enough to switch off so would need a point as a min. as well. If we both win our next game then a draw would be enough for both of us with us coming top. Pray for that

nebakke

The thing is, I think one of the reasons why we're on a pretty good run right now, is having to fight for every step we take. I don't think it's a coincidence that the boys have fired up now, I think that they have learned to thrive on the resistance... So that frightens me a little, when it comes ot the idea of having a walkover - of a sorts - against Brissy... On top of the fact that it's Brissy, so what are the odds that they'll really just take it easy? ;)
It goes with that as well, that I'm wondering whether we'd actually be better off landing further down the ladder, to keep up the pressure through the finals series.... In a sense, I wouldn't mind seeing us the first team to win a GF from 6th... Ideally in Brisbane ;) It seems like it'd be appropriate while also pouring some fuel on the GF vs Premiership fire ;)

dibo

I struggle to disagree with him. Clubs, sponsors and fans would be more excited about the competition if it weren't a drain on resources and an impediment against a good end-of-season run.

In the UEFA CL, making it to the group stage is worth 8.6 million Euro - for a club the size of Everton (i.e. not a 'big club' but hardly small) that's a 10% boost to turnover.

For us, that'd be the equivalent of making something like $800k from participating in the AFC CL. I reckon MC might be a bit more enthusiastic if it made us that sort of money - it'd probably cover a marquee player plus our travel costs each year if we made it then.

sydmariner

if the FFA won't give us any support then that just proves my theory all along that the FFA don't give a f**k about us!:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred