• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Zac Anderson signs with Sydney FC

dibo

Yeah, see, I'm glad he's getting paid and all, but I don't see him playing much.

Rowdy

Change of heart led Anderson to Sydney FC:

gettyimages-467221204.jpg

Defender Zac Anderson has opened up on the switch of clubs he believed he had to make, and why he already knows he made the right choice.

Anderson and Central Coast Mariners coach Tony Walmsley mutually agreed to part company at the end of last season and Anderson signed a one-year contract with Sydney FC.

The A-League kicks off next month, and Anderson is competing with players including Matt Jurman and Jacques Faty for a place in Sydney's central defence.

Anderson said that after initially negotiating for a new two-year contract with the Mariners midway through last season, he decided to stall those talks and make a call on his future at season's end.

He said it was during that intervening period that he realised he would be better off finding a new club.

"During those initial negotiations I was coming up to my 24th birthday and with a little bit of instability at the club I didn't feel confident about securing my future there," Anderson said.

"Once the coaching situation was finalised I sat down with Tony and we both decided it wasn't the best for me for stay. I wanted to pursue other options which I had on the table, so we shooks hands and I said goodbye to the club.

"Tony and I had a great relationship. He understood that I was very passionate about the Mariners and wanting to do well. Obviously we didn't have the best of seasons and there were a lot of reasons for that, but I was adamant that I was an ambitious person.

"Mentally, I wanted a new challenge and I didn't know where that was going to be. I had a few different things throughout the back half of the season that I was thinking about exploring and at the end of the day I was very close to signing with a number of clubs.

"But I was really passionate about coming to Sydney FC. I'd been given an amazing opportunity to establish myself at the Mariners, but it was time for me to go."

Anderson said he believed the opportunity to play again under the coach who had brought him to the Mariners, Graham Arnold, push for a spot in a team capable of winning the A-League, and play in the AFC Asian Champions League, was outstanding.

With two months of pre season under is belt, Anderson has no doubt he made the correct decision.

"I'm really grateful to 'Arnie' for giving me the chance to play for him again, because I think I've played my best football under him," Anderson said.

"My main focus in going to Sydney FC was to get back with Arnie and a club that was really passionate about winning a championship.

"I just feel really comfortable here. I've worked with the coaching staff before, it's a fantastic bunch of players and I've really settled into life here."

Anderson said he wasn't afraid of having to fight for a place in the team, in the face of some stiff competition from Jurman, Faty, and Sebastian Ryall, who can play either at right back or in the heart of defence.

"Arnie has made it quite clear that he's building a squad this year with two players competing for every position," he said.

"We've got a big season with the Asian Champions League as well as the A-League, so pre-season so far has been a really tough slog.

"I learned so much in the one-and-a-half years with Arnie at the Mariners. He's such a strong mentor of mine and I feel like he gets the best out of me. I really enjoy going to work every day and getting his guidance.

"I know if I keep a positive mentality avoid injuries I can have a big year. I've been working hard along with everybody else in the squad to push my claims and hopefully by round one I'll have done enough to earn his trust and hopefully I can have a big year for the club."

A hip injury kept Anderson out of calculations for the FFA Cup, which Sydney was eliminated from in the round of 16, but Anderson said he is fully recovered now, and he believes that at his age, he still has plenty of football ahead of him.

Rowdy

Meh ......Riddance

Arnie had a 'hard-on' for him from day one.

From 2012 interview with Sunshine Coast

'Anderson - who was left without a club after Football Federation Australia sensationally stripped Gold Coast United of its A-League licence in February - said yesterday that he had received a formal offer from the Mariners and hoped to sign a new contract within a week.

He said the only sticking point was the uncertainty over Arnold's future at the club, as Sydney FC zeroed in on the sought-after coach.

But the Olympic centre-half said Arnold was keen to sign him - whether it be for the Mariners or another club.

"I've told Arnie that once he's made his decision clear, I'm happy to sign," Anderson said.

"If Arnie decides to leave (the Mariners), he's made it clear to me he'll try and bring me wherever he goes.

"If that be Sydney or somewhere else, I'm not sure.

Full article;
http://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/a-league-spot-sewn-up/1333038/

Last edited:

soccer mad

Never felt confidence when Ando was playing he didn't even look confident I've seen better defenders in state league.

Gratis

He forgot to mention that he wasn't going to feature as more than a squaddie with us this seaason at best. I agree he has his moments but is not consistant. He made quite a few dangerous errors (in fairness that may have been sympomatic of the whole team last season) but I think we'll get as much if not more out of the young guys we have now

dibo

I agree with you, but I can't see him being in front of Faty or Jurman there either.

Gratis

Definitely - he'll get less time at Syd than with us.
He was pushed to leave, I'd say, more than chose to.

soccer mad

He obviously didn't feel comfortable here on the coast and without Arnie's attention he realized he's true potential between 0 and 10 ,5 at best also known as average. Now sydney problem was he playing in trial just recently when we pumped Sydney 3-1

pjennings

Simply put - he was not going to be first choice at either club. However, SFC will be playing in the ACL. Squaddies like Anderson and Matty will be important for them as they try to balance commitments.

Rowdy

Simply put - he was not going to be first choice at either club. However, SFC will be playing in the ACL. Squaddies like Anderson and Matty will be important for them as they try to balance commitments.

Arnie must be so glad he took Anderson to Urawa the other night for the first game in their ACL campaign.

Substituted at 70min as CB is indicative if how he played.

As a future lawyer, I hope he offers his potential clients a better defence than what he offers up on the pitch when he's playing.

Going down 2-0 to self created goals for the opposition srving them up on a plate. Terrible stuff.

Sidenote, have to wonder how long Vedran Janjetovic gets to keep his position in goals, I think he's a liability for SydFC.

localpom

Arnie must be so glad he took Anderson to Urawa the other night for the first game in their ACL campaign.

Substituted at 70min as CB is indicative if how he played.

As a future lawyer, I hope he offers his potential clients a better defence than what he offers up on the pitch when he's playing.

Going down 2-0 to self created goals for the opposition srving them up on a plate. Terrible stuff.

Sidenote, have to wonder how long Vedran Janjetovic gets to keep his position in goals, I think he's a liability for SydFC.
I would put more blame on Arnie. With Faty on the pitch it's arguably a 0-0 draw. Why would you break up the best CB pairing in the HAL? I understand the idea behind keeping players fresh but Faty is pivotal for them. I feel a bit for Zac, he doesn't play a competitive minute all season then gets chucked into a ACL game. Tough for him.

Big Al

At least his shorts fit.

Terrible mistake though. To many defenders close by to try let ball run.

That happens when you haven't played.

Rowdy

Although he came close to redeeming himself, stabbing a foot at a loose ball from a corner only for the Urawa keeper to make a great save.

Andersons partner in crimes against football, CB - Matt Jurman took all 3pts for 'Fcuk-Up of the Night Award', skying a similar loose ball on the 6 yard line well over the crossbar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred