• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Which Title is better? HAVE YOUR SAY!

which A-league title is more important

• A-league

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Series

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bigd3678

skilbeck , do the ecl and uefa competitions have finals series ? yes, and at the and the winners who are considered the best team are not always the team that has won the most games

skilbeck

bigd3678 said:
skilbeck , do the ecl and uefa competitions have finals series ? yes, and at the and the winners who are considered the best team are not always the team that has won the most games

i meant the top national leagues

SamCC

fark bigd...half the competition i knockout... not a league thats why the winner of the final is the ones who are considered the best....
also they need to have won the most games u idiot cos how else would they make it thru the knock out stages to reach the final

skilbeck

good point SamCC. It is also to note that the scum only played 2 teams out of 7 in the competition to win the toilet seat. if it was the entire 8 in an unweighted knockout after the season, i wouldve predicted melbourne or sydney to win given their run at the end

adz

Staff member
obviously the title we won is better than the one we didn't win.... until we win both of course and then they are just as important as each other... ::)

skilbeck

i disagree with you on that one adz, whilst i was disappointed to go away empty handed on sunday, the premiership is more important IMO than the knockout. It is also important to know that on any given day even the smallest difference can radically change the outcome of a game and whilst the jets did deserve to win on sunday, if vidmar didnt make that error and we were awarded a penalty after hollands handball that was subsequently converted, the result wouldve been different, despite the fact the jets deserved to win

But in all honesty the double is what every team goes for

kevrenor

My view:

1.  ACL qualification

2.  Premiership

3.  Championship

4. Pre Season Cup

5. Hong Kong Sevens

6. North Qld Cup

7. Central Coast Cup, lol

8. Spirit derby

bigd3678

SamCC said:
fark bigd...half the competition i knockout... not a league thats why the winner of the final is the ones who are considered the best....
also they need to have won the most games u idiot cos how else would they make it thru the knock out stages to reach the final

Not a league why is it called the european champions LEAGUE then ?

adz

Staff member
Fair enough we can agree to disagree then ;)

I think every game should be important, and whether it is the grand final or some pre season knock about vs Malaysia, we should be out to win them all. Obviously that can't happen but I don't agree with saying this game is more important than that.

skilbeck

bigd3678 said:
SamCC said:

Not a league why is it called the european champions LEAGUE then ?

Why is a shooting star called a shooting star? clearly not a star is it

skilbeck

furns said:
skilbeck said:
and we were awarded a penalty after hollands handball
Umm I think you mean Jedinak's handball mate - check the replay ;)

the point I was making is that had it have been a bit different, you would now hate football vow never to watch it again and get back to supporting your drugby league team

Mattsy

mate, furns is no fan of thugby, he's football through and through. as am I and I'm sure you are.

Thugby supporter's might be lucky to know how to use internet forums, imo.

they've only recently discovered how to take drugs and get away with it.

FFC Mariner

Bet the Knights and the ISC Trust (or whatever they are called) are just thrilled with you lot winning the GF??

In knuckledragger terms, the GF is all that matters so they would be shitting themselves (hopefully).

Now all you need is for them to "win" the wooden spoon again and get crowds lower than your average.

I might hate the Jets but f**k I hate the NRL more

Kareem

premiership for me!
i am a football purist!
I've never won the double myself in junior football but 2 leagues and 1 Grand final. 2 leagues were better (although the feeling after GF win is unbelievable...but the fact is you were only best on day!)

tommyd

Why is it that you guys are willing not to accept the fact that there is a finals series to determine the champion for the season like in every football code.  As a Victorian who Supports Geelong in the AFL, Melbourne Storm in the NRL and Melbourne Victory in the A-League, I was faced with the reality three times that we were the best across the season in all three codes but still had to prove this to win the premiership and prove we were the ultimate champions for the season. 

The finals series in the A-League is fair and was more than fair this year.  It was the most even competition in the League's three year history with only 3 wins seperating 1st and 6th.  Furthermore, the only reason Newcastle lost the Premiership was due to a 1 goal difference and to me that doesn't really equate to much in the way of proof or sufficient justification that one team is better than the other.  This again happened in the semi-final where each team won one leg 2-0 and in extra time where the Mariners were playing the better game scored to give themselves the direct passage again on goal difference. 

The grand final was the fairest way to determine who was the better team purely because of the eveness of the two teams performances during the season.  Both teams had their chances on the day and in the end Newcastle proved they were the better team not only on the day but across the season. 

To say the Mariners are the best team in the land would be wrong and untrue.  There is only one team that has been able to win both and say they are the ultimate champions of the A-League and that is the Melbourne Victory!!!

S

striker

tommyd said:
Why is it that you guys are willing not to accept the fact that there is a finals series to determine the champion for the season like in every football code.  As a Victorian who Supports Geelong in the AFL, Melbourne Storm in the NRL and Melbourne Victory in the A-League, I was faced with the reality three times that we were the best across the season in all three codes but still had to prove this to win the premiership and prove we were the ultimate champions for the season. 

The finals series in the A-League is fair and was more than fair this year.  It was the most even competition in the League's three year history with only 3 wins seperating 1st and 6th.  Furthermore, the only reason Newcastle lost the Premiership was due to a 1 goal difference and to me that doesn't really equate to much in the way of proof or sufficient justification that one team is better than the other.  This again happened in the semi-final where each team won one leg 2-0 and in extra time where the Mariners were playing the better game scored to give themselves the direct passage again on goal difference. 

The grand final was the fairest way to determine who was the better team purely because of the eveness of the two teams performances during the season.  Both teams had their chances on the day and in the end Newcastle proved they were the better team not only on the day but across the season. 

To say the Mariners are the best team in the land would be wrong and untrue.  There is only one team that has been able to win both and say they are the ultimate champions of the A-League and that is the Melbourne Victory!!!

You are telling us that you watch AFL? ..... funny bloke!  :piralaugh:

kevrenor

tommyd said:
Why is it that you guys are willing not to accept the fact that there is a finals series to determine the champion for the season like in every football code.

We have.  We are just saying that we value the Premiership more highly.  It matters not what others think.

P

Pete

I respect your opinions Tommyd, but you are looking at the HAL in the context as another national domestic football competition in Australia. Worldwide, there isn't a finals series in a lot of the comps. at this level, for Football.

Locally, the other football codes really do need a Finals series to sort out the eventual winner, because they do not play each other at least twice (home and away) in the season proper.

So if the 'winner' was determined by first past the post, highest on the ladder, the results could be pushed towards one team or another by a favourable draw and not having to play stronger teams in the second half of their seasons (I believe both AFL and NRL play each other once and then only selected teams after that according to a pre season draw - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

On the flip side of the argument about 'one win and you've won the copmp.' argument, look at how the Mariners have been at the top of the league for most of the past season.

They did stay there for most of the season, and the Premiers Plate is well deserved. Whatever style they played and how others viewed that, they did it consistently and won. If they had walked away with nothing they/we would have been bitterly disappointed.

While many Aussies, myself included, are used to a Finals series thanks to exposure to other codes here, folks from many other Football countries would be wondering why the Premiers have to play off for anything at all.

P

Pete

rosko said:
furns said:
For christs sake this whole thread smacks of "well if we didnt win it it doesnt mean anything".
Like I posted in the Jets colours thread, everyone on here was all for winning the OneRing before last night, and now its like no one ever wanted to win it.

Enough of the talk of the 'onering'... You aren't hobbits up there. Gollum... Maybe!
I don't know that I have seen anyone say 'we don't want to win it'! Most, obviously, are saying that the premiership means more. A season of results against those of a few weeks of finals football. Newcastle won... We know... You guys have your 'OneRing'! We have the plate.. I wanted to win both, we didn't. The plate means more, it always will. We are going to Asia! That is all that matters, nothing else.
'The OneRing'... you have to be kidding.. I used to think that being the 'toiletseat' was bad enough.. You guys have gone a step further!

It could be put to good use by GVE as a haemorroid ring cushion after all the reaming he's copped from Con all year.

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/more/ring_cushion_more.php

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred