• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Which Title is better? HAVE YOUR SAY!

which A-league title is more important

• A-league

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Series

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deej

As a couple of people said.....they are both important trophies to win, success in each gives you an asian cup entry!

In terms of consistency the Premiership is better, but it's the Australian way!

In every other country just about the League is by far more important to win, would you rather win the Premiership or FA Cup?

Australia just loves their final series, IMO I find it funny that a team could scrap into 4th spot and still be crowned champions? Great if your that team though!

tommyd

Pete,

I agree that each team plays each other three times and this is a valid argument as to why there should be no finals series.  On the contrary is the argument that due to the odd number of games in the season and the odd number of times that each team plays also can cause a disadvantage.  For example, Melbourne Victory played more away games then home games in the 2007/08 season.  This is a valid cause to show disadvantage to the team as factors such as the travel and different playing environment can impact on the player's performances.  

Also, take Perth Glory who's nearest opponent is approximately 2,500kms away in Adelaide united.  Is it not reasonable to say that if they were to make the finals in 4th spot that they should be given a chance to prove they are the best team in Australia in a finals system that gives consideration to their cross season performance and the impact that factors such as travel (3 hour+ flights) have on their gameplay???

When it comes to away trips, Central Coast, Newcastle and Sydney have it easy and this reduction in interstate travel can be seen to justify their consistantly strong performances over the past 3 seasons.  This is not Europe where teams can travel from one city to another in their domestic competition in a couple of Hours.  This is Australia, where teams such as Wellington are forced to travel as far as Melbourne to Bali just to play a domestic fixture.  No wonder teams outside New South Wales struggled this year and failed to make up 0 of the top 3 spots on the ladder.  

skilbeck

tommyd said:
Pete,

I agree that each team plays each other three times and this is a valid argument as to why there should be no finals series.  On the contrary is the argument that due to the odd number of games in the season and the odd number of times that each team plays also can cause a disadvantage.  For example, Melbourne Victory played more away games then home games in the 2007/08 season.  This is a valid cause to show disadvantage to the team as factors such as the travel and different playing environment can impact on the player's performances.  

The central coast mariners played more away than home games as well this season

tommyd

Yes but unlike the any other club, you have approximately 60% of games in the season mo further than 80kms from your home base at Bluetongue/Gosford. 

voice of reason

As a Pommy Australian I spent the first five years in this country trying to figure out why the team that topped the table was not considered the Champions.  To be honest, I still haven't come to grips with it.  All I can put it down to is the residual effect of other unmentionable codes.

Since I left the UK they have brought in play-offs, but only to decide minor placings for lower league promotions.

To me, the system defies logic...The GF should be seen as just another facet of the overall A-League competition...It is useful in providing another tier of competition, a bit like the FA Cup and League Cup do in the UK.

RADINHO

voice of reason said:
As a Pommy Australian I spent the first five years in this country trying to figure out why the team that topped the table was not considered the Champions.  To be honest, I still haven't come to grips with it.  All I can put it down to is the residual effect of other unmentionable codes.

Since I left the UK they have brought in play-offs, but only to decide minor placings for lower league promotions.

To me, the system defies logic...The GF should be seen as just another facet of the overall A-League competition...It is useful in providing another tier of competition, a bit like the FA Cup and League Cup do in the UK.

Great idea FFA Cup get state league teams such as marconi, perth sc and south melborune all to play each other in a knock out comp to fight for 8 places in the round of 16 with the other 8 a-league teams already qualified to battle it out from there

skilbeck

there will be 10 a league teams next year so I suggest we have state cups and the winners of them make up the remainding 6 places to play the a league sides. where each round is seeded

RADINHO

skilbeck said:
there will be 10 a league teams next year so I suggest we have state cups and the winners of them make up the remainding 6 places to play the a league sides. where each round is seeded

possibly there will be 10 teams they still have to prove themselves and yea thats my idea out the window.

marconigirl

Vote on here...
442 Poll Question: which is the better title PREMIERS or CHAMPIONS ?
http://au.fourfourtwo.com/forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=2546

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred