• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Usain Bolt!

pjennings

Thought i'd put in my two cents here -

Our club being mentioned on the first report of the sport section on free-to-air news and first up on Fox Sports News is only a good thing. Bolt gives us publicity and sponsorship opportunities. All off-field ventures to help the club move forward and boost us financially. It's only when you look at on-field where the criticism will come from and that's fair enough. If the trial is not paid by us, that's good, l would just say if it turned out he was paid just for the trial by us, then i'd be a little annoyed as that could have gone to a new player. If it's funded by sponsors and FFA, then happy days. Bolt gives us a lot of exposure overseas being the fastest human ever and he's a great character with a lot of personality. During his trial we will have plenty of new eyes on us and the product.

Now l will say if he is signed at the end of the day, l will be more than surprised...

If you get him on the podcast you can get plenty of ears on it and maybe some big time sponsors ;)

Big Al

Actually BA this happily isn’t true.

Sponsors are all about exposure and they don’t even require him to be signed on a deal to achieve that. They would also want and need to be ahead of the others or miss out. I expect this will get very competitive and key sponsors are going to have to outbid each other.

From my understanding what has happened is very clever.

Trial helps retain our credibility.

But now it’s open ended is a clever win win,

The one thing that gets overlooked a lot is that Bolt is genuine. And six weeks training in differing professional environs will not help him truly develop enough to reach his goal. But this will, or at least has a much better chance of doing so. Win.

Club don’t want to sign him when he’s not good enough, but know that to capitalise they need Bolt to be here come season proper. Win.

It’s good stuff. I think we should be very pleased excited about it.
Hope your right FP

Rowdy

"Mariners to have first refusal on offering Bolt a deal, effectively shutting out everyone else."

'First Right of Refusal's' generally have an expiration period ie. 24, 48, 72 hrs or maybe even a week.

So in all reality,
Bolt only has to allow CCM to be the 'first' club to offer him a deal & he also has the right to 'refuse' that deal ??
- wait out the expiration period
... then Bolt has the right to consider offers from whomever else puts one forward to him.

Can't see how that effectively shuts-out every other club in the world, of coming in and then offering a better deal ?

bikinigirl

Sponsors are all about exposure and they don’t even require him to be signed on a deal to achieve that. They would also want and need to be ahead of the others or miss out. I expect this will get very competitive and key sponsors are going to have to outbid each other.

. i am still worried about the sponsorship side of things (and think back to one of Rowdy's original posts about the Club capitalising on the opportunity for the medium/long term benefit of the Club)

. as you stated before FP i think the Club needs expert help and additional resources to truly benefit (are you available?)

. but what concerns me is how difficult it may be to negotiate the legal minefield of existing/potential/competing sponsors - this includes Bolt's personal sponsors eg. Umbro vs Puma, Telstra vs Optus. consider that the amount of money Bolt takes from Puma annually would be a significant multiple of the total the Club has received from kit suppliers throughout their entire existence - is it even possible to see him in an Umbro kit?

. the problem with Bolt's marketability is that nobody is more aware of it than the man himself and his management which means he has been capitalising on it personally for years. finding the gaps without conflict will be a challenge and the Club needs to be very careful - one wrong turn and it could cost more than it is worth

. don't get me wrong, i know there are plenty of other opportunities out there but it is times like this where i think, for example, of Charlesworth's tendency to act first and have Shaun think later

Yoda

Wouldn’t it be easier for Bolt to just buy the club and then sign himself? If he was serious about becoming a player I mean. :piralaugh::piralaugh:

Wombat

I like it. Captain and Owner lol.
He could bring in some fringe Manyoo players thanks to his relationship with Phelan and the club.

marinermick

Look out Terrigal:

"Bolt seems to enjoy his fame and fortune. He reportedly owns a black Nissan GT-R worth $105,000, according to Business Insider, and a large mansion near Jamaica’s capital.

Bolt is also known to love a great party. But not everyone is fond of his lifestyle.

“Between the bikes, loud, horrid music, parties and screams, I honestly wish he would go back to where he came from,” his neighbor-model Jodi Stewart-Henriques wrote on Facebook in 2015. “He’s a horrible neighbor.”

Capn Gus Bloodbeard

Sean says they are already being approached by sponsors as a result.
There's a fine line between genius and madness. This looks like the former so far... But time will tell.
Risky, outside - the-box thinking..... These are things we've always done

Forum Phoenix

. i am still worried about the sponsorship side of things (and think back to one of Rowdy's original posts about the Club capitalising on the opportunity for the medium/long term benefit of the Club)

. as you stated before FP i think the Club needs expert help and additional resources to truly benefit (are you available?)

. but what concerns me is how difficult it may be to negotiate the legal minefield of existing/potential/competing sponsors - this includes Bolt's personal sponsors eg. Umbro vs Puma, Telstra vs Optus. consider that the amount of money Bolt takes from Puma annually would be a significant multiple of the total the Club has received from kit suppliers throughout their entire existence - is it even possible to see him in an Umbro kit?

. the problem with Bolt's marketability is that nobody is more aware of it than the man himself and his management which means he has been capitalising on it personally for years. finding the gaps without conflict will be a challenge and the Club needs to be very careful - one wrong turn and it could cost more than it is worth

. don't get me wrong, i know there are plenty of other opportunities out there but it is times like this where i think, for example, of Charlesworth's tendency to act first and have Shaun think later

Yeah thoroughly agree. Won’t be easy, from what I have heard of the club, turning the wheels is already a challenge, so they surely have to bring people in and work with a high quality PR firm. I’m assuming they have adequate legals in place.

Tricky territory with his personal tie ins seems likely, but he seems to be in control of his own brand. And this exercise has benefit to his own sponsors too already, has put him back in the lime light and will be an epic fairytale story if he pulls it off.

At the very least I expect they’ll be able to focus on selling the Mariners using his name and image as a player like what they did with the press release of his signing.

But I’m not sure we’ll ever see him running 100m at half time with a bottle of sauce in his gob. Or tumbling around inside a giant plastic ball with Hyundai on it.

Forum Phoenix

Look out Terrigal:

"Bolt seems to enjoy his fame and fortune. He reportedly owns a black Nissan GT-R worth $105,000, according to Business Insider, and a large mansion near Jamaica’s capital.

Bolt is also known to love a great party. But not everyone is fond of his lifestyle.

“Between the bikes, loud, horrid music, parties and screams, I honestly wish he would go back to where he came from,” his neighbor-model Jodi Stewart-Henriques wrote on Facebook in 2015. “He’s a horrible neighbor.”

Bolt is going to own the beery.

Big Al

If Puma was that worried they could buy the umbro deal and kit us up. If it was nike or someone more seen as opposition then maybe but Umbro are not in the sneaker game as far as i know.

Notice his video is in a Puma shirt and hasn’t been seen with a Mariners shirt yet

Wombat

Puma is shit gear.
Best and Less or Big W standard.
I wouldn't be seen dead in any Puma gear unless Usian wants to sponsor East Gosford and Wyong Thai Massage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred