• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Turbulence (then calm sailing, then turbulence) thread.

nebakke

I've said it before, and probably will again.. But I think we hit a core schism here... For most markets, but in particular for a relatively small market such as ours, the club likely has to attempt to cater to a very broad base.
In daily talk, we all seem to be fairly proud that we such a broad club, words like "family-oriented" and "locally engaged" tend to get throw n around. But it looks to me like this approach is also one of the things that wedges in between the fans.
Looking just at this board - not to mention some of the comments posted elsewhere and heard in conversations with other fans. There's an, understandable, push for the games to get moved to later in the day for example. That's easy for those of us who haven't established a family yet, or whose family is more... Mature... ;)
But for the rest of us, it can become problematic to make the late games regularly. I would love to take my son to more games, but went last weekend with a friend, who has a son the same age. We both went alone because the game was just too late for the boys, getting home at 22:30 can get to be a bit much for them.
Now that's fine once-in-a-while, but I certainly couldn't/wouldn't be doing it every weekend.
The coast is full of people like us, "Young families" is probably our strongest demographic, most of us also commute. For me, much as I love following the Mariners, it really is no competition if I am given the choice of watching them play or spending time with my family.
Another issue is the stigma around football support... This is very much a matter of education though and the "few, the stupid few, the idiotic band of RBBrothers" to paraphrase, who threw flares every weekend for the last couple of months, don't make it any easier to change that perception. One story about family dads walking with their kids, being accosted by hyped up supporters, is enough to drive away a several families, I think.

Anywho, my point is, I think a drop in prices will always help, especially for the family segment, but I think the club needs to work out what they want to aim for.
I suspect though, that a growing, relatively peaceful, engaging active supporter segment would help ensure that the "occasionals" keep coming back as well. For them, I "bikinigirl" is right, I think the cost is already keeping them as occasional visitors, but that obviously doesn't matter so much... I think we need to work out how to engage active supporters more and then the rest will follow.
Unfortunately, this is probably the hardest crowd to engage as many need to grow up in the club or somehow be convinced to feel strongly about the club... I suspect many of those who could be supporters are engaged in competing "sports" such as NRL.

My 5c worth anyway...

FFC Mariner

Maybe categorising games as (say) A,B & C is worth considering

A: Sydney, scum, WSW & NYE = full freight ticket pricing
B: Victory, Roar(?) = slight discounts
C: The rest. = All kids in free or something

Discounting your product is fine if you set a clear distinction between your "premium" games and Phoenix on a wet Sunday afternoon.

Atomic

Discounting your product is fine if you set a clear distinction between your "premium" games and Phoenix on a wet Sunday afternoon.
Agree with this.

There's room for some tweaking... perhaps make the NYE game a kids in free. Pack the joint out and get it into our psyche that going to the football on NYE then watching the fireworks is THE thing to do. Cynically bump up the price over time ;)

dibo

Price discrimination 101, good idea.

Wombat

Dont they do it already? im sure when i gave the season ticket away for a couple of seasons....some games were more than others.

style_cafe

Just a few ideas:-
1) Lower the food & drinks prices would also help young families.
2) Half time competitions for the fans are also good ie. shoot for loot, car football
3) A school 6-a side KO competition (ties in with sponsors) 4 games simultaneously at half
time (2 boys 2 girls) with Trophies & prizes for the winning schools ie.senior primary
school teams.
5) Replays of all incidents on the big screen

style_cafe

How ridiculous.The paying fan doesn`t get to see a replay but the tv viewer can see it a dozen times fron different angles.

kevrenor

How ridiculous.The paying fan doesn`t get to see a replay but the tv viewer can see it a dozen times fron different angles.
FIFA thinks that you will emulate their worst world-wide examples and will storm the the field after tearing off a lump of guard-rail, whilst those slumbering at home in front of Foxtel with a beer in hand may be less so moved!

dibo

I think it's more to do with preventing what happened in the 06 WC final where the 4th official saw Zidane on the screen and notified the Referee who then sent him from the field. FIFA feels that as this could not possibly have happened in park footy, it shouldn't happen in any footy. If a controversial thing is to be picked up, it has to be picked up by the match officials themselves, not a by camera and then acted on after viewing a replay.

EDIT - the prohibition on replays actually pre-dated the 06 World Cup, and from memory all official channels denied that the replay was a factor, but there was at the time quite the conspiracy theory that Zidane had been punted on video evidence.

dibo

Mariners open talks with Asian investors

Wednesday, 30 January 2013 1:00 PM

email.png

00059540-leadimage.jpg

CENTRAL Coast Mariners are pleased to announce that two Asian football investment groups will soon visit Gosford to open talks about investment opportunities in the Club and its Centre of Excellence at Tuggerah.
The two groups are among several interested parties who have received and reviewed an extensive Information Memorandum on the Central Coast Mariners.
The Mariners Board of Directors formally invite further expressions of interest by investors locally, nationally and globally as the Club strives to accelerate its growth plans and capitalise on additional business opportunities available to it.
Central Coast Mariners Chairman Peter Turnbull said it’s the right time for the Club to further broaden its capital base, having completed the start-up and formative phase, and achieved an enviable position in Australia’s national competition, the Hyundai A League.
“This is exciting juncture in the club’s short, yet proud history,” said Mr Turnbull.
“We are currently top of the Hyundai A-League and National Youth League and we are the reigning premiers in each competition. The Mariners will this year compete in the Asian Champions League for the third time and is on track to do so again in 2014.
“The on-field success is underpinned by the Club’s unique, innovative Centre of Excellence complex, which is well underway. The Tuggerah facility is now home to the Mariners’ entire football department and has a thriving community facility in the Soccer5s complex, which is open and doing an excellent trade.”
Next year, the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence will see further developments towards a 130-room hotel, licensed clubhouse, six storey office tower and an aquatic centre, in addition to the training facilities, football administration block, and leisure amenities launched last year.
Mr Turnbull said the Mariners brand was known internationally, having its players sought after by top clubs in Europe and Asia.
“This year also marks the second full year of the Club’s elite Academy pathway, providing gifted local juniors with the opportunity to progress from their grassroots side to the Hyundai A-League and beyond,” he said.
“In order to consolidate the Club’s position as Australia’s top nursery for football talent and build upon the impressive achievements made by the franchise since its foundation in 2004, Central Coast Mariners FC are currently assessing a range of additional investment options to underpin its strategic growth plan moving forward.”
Over the past few months, the Mariners have been contacted by a number of groups expressing an interest in investing in the future development and expansion of the organisation. These expressions of interest include the possibility of direct investment from local and foreign consortiums and individuals, as well as the option of an initial public offering (IPO) which would see the Mariners as the first publicly owned football club in Australia.​

midfielder

From TWG... Asian investors ... must be moving south...

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1138887/Mariners-open-to-foreign-investment

Central Coast Mariners confirmed that two Asian football investment groups will visit Gosford with a view of investing in the club and its Centre of Excellence at Tuggerah.

Asian groups will be in Australia next month as the cash-strapped Mariners seek some much-needed funding.
The Mariners board is also open to further expressions of interest by investors, both in Australia and from abroad.
Central Coast Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull said it’s the right time for the club to further broaden its capital base.
“This is exciting juncture in the club’s short, yet proud history,” Turnbull said.
“We are currently top of the Hyundai A-League and National Youth League and we are the reigning premiers in each competition. The Mariners will this year compete in the Asian Champions League for the third time and is on track to do so again in 2014.
“The on-field success is underpinned by the Club’s unique, innovative Centre of Excellence complex, which is well underway. The Tuggerah facility is now home to the Mariners’ entire football department and has a thriving community facility in the Soccer5s complex, which is open and doing an excellent trade.”
Next year, the Central Coast Mariners Centre of Excellence will see further developments towards a 130-room hotel, licensed clubhouse, six storey office tower and an aquatic centre, in addition to the training facilities, football administration block, and leisure amenities launched last year.
With Tom Rogic sold to Celtic and interest from abroad in goalkeeper Mat Ryan and attacker Bernie Ibini, the Mariners have continued to build links abroad after its sale of Matt Simon, Mustafa Amini and Rostyn Griffiths during the 2011-2012 campaign.
Should the club seal a deal it will join Sydney FC and Brisbane Roar as A-League clubs with foreign investors.
“In order to consolidate the Club’s position as Australia’s top nursery for football talent and build upon the impressive achievements made by the franchise since its foundation in 2004, Central Coast Mariners FC are currently assessing a range of additional investment options to underpin its strategic growth plan moving forward,” Turnbull said.
Turnbull, who holds the controlling interest in the Mariners, had been in negotiations with a Russian consortium for the last 12 months and has had to deny claims in April that he was handing back the licence to Football Federation Australia last April.

Mumbles

Is Mr PT entering the cash cow phase of his Mariners investment or looking for support to grow ?

Mumbles

Maybe!
Business isn't so great at the moment.

Love to see a copy of the sales brochure.

""" The two groups are among several interested parties who have received and reviewed an extensive Information Memorandum on the Central Coast Mariners. """

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred