• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The Stajcic Era, a Partnership of desperates or a Marriage Made in Heaven?

Forum Phoenix

Weemac is well past his prime. But who knows what a different coach can get out of him. We didn't see Jem's best until he had a coach who knew how to play him and the squad around him

I was really disappointed to see weemacs performances. Loved him back in the day.

Unfortunately i don’t think it had anything to do with how he was deployed. He was clearly a few yards off the pace and could no longer rely on superior technique to hold up the ball or turn players and pick a pass. He doesn’t make mistakes at least. But he is not sharp enough, offers no energy, enthusiasm or leadership and imo looks completely ineffective at this level now.

Maybe Staj could increase his hunger and he may sharpen, but I’m very doubtful and think there’s much better value in developing Kekeris.

Last edited:

NoDiggity

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/stajcic-poised-to-take-mariners-helm-in-long-term-deal

After just three matches in charge, caretaker coach Alen Stajcic looks to have done enough to land the Central Coast Mariners job on a permanent basis, with a formal announcement set to made at the end of the season.

UPDATEDUPDATED 12 MINS AGO
BY DAVE LEWIS
The former Matildas mentor, whose controversial axing became a subject of national debate, has impressed his new bosses since taking charge a month ago in his maiden gig with a senior men’s team.

It’s understood he has already been aiding the recruitment drive for next season, determining who should be allowed to go and which players the club should target.

Stajcic’s current assistant Nahuel Arrarte, his former right hand man with the Matildas, will continue to ride shotgun, ending his role as NPL outfit Marconi’s technical director.

Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp declined to comment on Stajcic’s status beyond this season when contacted by The World Game.

But he did say: “At the moment we are working away and focusing on the remaining three games of the season (Melbourne Victory away, Western Sydney Wanderers at home and away to Melbourne City),” Mielekamp said.

“There is a really good relationship forming with the coach and we will see what happens in the future.

“Alen has done a great job in his caretaking role in helping the club start preparations for next season.”

Stajcic - the club’s sixth coach in five seasons - got off to a winning start in the F3 derby against Newcastle Jets, for only the stricken club’s second victory of a dismal season.

Home defeats against Adelaide United (1-0) and premiers-elect Perth Glory (3-0) have followed.

scoober

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/stajcic-poised-to-take-mariners-helm-in-long-term-deal

After just three matches in charge, caretaker coach Alen Stajcic looks to have done enough to land the Central Coast Mariners job on a permanent basis, with a formal announcement set to made at the end of the season.

UPDATEDUPDATED 12 MINS AGO
BY DAVE LEWIS
The former Matildas mentor, whose controversial axing became a subject of national debate, has impressed his new bosses since taking charge a month ago in his maiden gig with a senior men’s team.

It’s understood he has already been aiding the recruitment drive for next season, determining who should be allowed to go and which players the club should target.

Stajcic’s current assistant Nahuel Arrarte, his former right hand man with the Matildas, will continue to ride shotgun, ending his role as NPL outfit Marconi’s technical director.

Mariners CEO Shaun Mielekamp declined to comment on Stajcic’s status beyond this season when contacted by The World Game.

But he did say: “At the moment we are working away and focusing on the remaining three games of the season (Melbourne Victory away, Western Sydney Wanderers at home and away to Melbourne City),” Mielekamp said.

“There is a really good relationship forming with the coach and we will see what happens in the future.

“Alen has done a great job in his caretaking role in helping the club start preparations for next season.”

Stajcic - the club’s sixth coach in five seasons - got off to a winning start in the F3 derby against Newcastle Jets, for only the stricken club’s second victory of a dismal season.

Home defeats against Adelaide United (1-0) and premiers-elect Perth Glory (3-0) have followed.
It missed the most interesting part of the whole article. I cut and pasted below

"With Stajcic and the club set to commit to each other long term, it’s understood several players have agreed to contract extensions on the back of that accord, with at least three announcements to be made imminently."

Can only hope its not a keeper!! I'd only be happy with Pain, God and Jem

localpom

It missed the most interesting part of the whole article. I cut and pasted below

"With Stajcic and the club set to commit to each other long term, it’s understood several players have agreed to contract extensions on the back of that accord, with at least three announcements to be made imminently."

Pain, God and Jem would be a great start.

Forum Phoenix

They would be the best. And do a lot for morale.

So I'm bracing for Kennedy, Gameiro and Hoole.

But I'd also be happy to see Aspro extend his stay. Rowles is slowly growing and happy to have him and Murray in the squad for another year as well. A visa spot on Mallon even if he wanted to stay I don't think would be a good option, but he does have potential as a player. Everyone else I'm happy to never see in yellow again.

Michael

They would be the best. And do a lot for morale.

So I'm bracing for Kennedy, Gameiro and Hoole.

But I'd also be happy to see Aspro extend his stay. Rowles is slowly growing and happy to have him and Murray in the squad for another year as well. A visa spot on Mallon even if he wanted to stay I don't think would be a good option, but he does have potential as a player. Everyone else I'm happy to never see in yellow again.

Simon Hill for the 3rd game in a row on Sunday said “Aspro has signed with western United for next season”.
Who knew an average commentator for an average broadcaster in an average league knew more about a player than the club and its fans hey.

Tevor

Simon Hill for the 3rd game in a row on Sunday said “Aspro has signed with western United for next season”.
Who knew an average commentator for an average broadcaster in an average league knew more about a player than the club and its fans hey.
I’ve seen articles talking about the players Western United have signed and Aspro has never been one so time will tell if Hill knows his stuff. Same could be said of Pain and isn’t he also meant to be WU bound?

turbo

I’ve seen articles talking about the players Western United have signed and Aspro has never been one so time will tell if Hill knows his stuff. Same could be said of Pain and isn’t he also meant to be WU bound?

Aspro and Pain have both been linked with them. It might not be a case of the club not knowing but it’s not in anyone’s interests to announce anything early. Even WM would want to string things out a bit for some hype rather than having most of their league recruits announced at once.

Forum Phoenix

Yeah that’s shit. And he should also know better. Im either watching live or usually have no sound when watching on Fox these days.

Pirate Pete

During the Jets game the commentator (whoever it was) said Aspro had gone to the the new Melbourne team.
He said it was strange they were signing players before getting or naming a coach.
Later in the game he said Daniel Georgievski was also going to the new Melbourne team.
After a split second delay he added....... allegedly.

And I reckon Kennedy will still be with us next season.

pjennings

I'd be happy if we can keep Karacen, Hiariej, Murray & Rowles. But we need a visa CB next to Kye lo learn off.

marinermick

During the Jets game the commentator (whoever it was) said Aspro had gone to the the new Melbourne team.
He said it was strange they were signing players before getting or naming a coach.
Later in the game he said Daniel Georgievski was also going to the new Melbourne team.
After a split second delay he added....... allegedly.

And I reckon Kennedy will still be with us next season.

Scummer is going to Western Sydney

Last edited:
Reactions: adz

marinermick

Thinking about this appointment over the past few days and I think it lacks ambition and reinforces belief that under-investment will continue.

I honestly believe that Stajic is not the person for the job. He comes cheap and does not have the ability to draw in players that will play for him. Given that we will be paying overs for players we needed someone that could lure players and drive wage costs down from pushy agents.

He has never coached a senior men's team before and his style and demeanor is hardly inspiring.

Changing coaches is only a band-aid solution to the Mariners's problems but they could have at least invested a little bit more in this area and grabbed a higher quality candidate that could circuit break the on-field woes. This is where Mike Phelan should have come to the party.

But I guess Stajic's signing shows there will be no more investment in the playing side of things.

turbo

Thinking about this appointment over the past few days and I think it lacks ambition and reinforces belief that under-investment will continue.
Does it? I'm curious as to what level of candidate you'd be wanting us to land. I don't think picking up someone like Kurz or Rudan if we could get them would achieve what you're after but both would be relatively well regarded choices within the A league scene. I think we could easily do a lot worse than Staj and his time with us has given all parties the chance to make an informed decision. While we don't know his circumstances I doubt he'd be willing to harm his professional reputation if he wasn't in agreement with the club's approach to next season.

marinermick

Does it? I'm curious as to what level of candidate you'd be wanting us to land. I don't think picking up someone like Kurz or Rudan if we could get them would achieve what you're after but both would be relatively well regarded choices within the A league scene. I think we could easily do a lot worse than Staj and his time with us has given all parties the chance to make an informed decision. While we don't know his circumstances I doubt he'd be willing to harm his professional reputation if he wasn't in agreement with the club's approach to next season.

Tell me which male players will he attract (even Okon and Mulvey was ahead of him on this) or how his reputation will drive down the overs we will need to pay because of our situation? The biggest liability concerning Stajic is that he doesn't have the player and contact network in the men's game needed to find players, attract players and knowing what to pay for these players.

It's a cheap signing and shows our ambition (or lack of) for the coming seasons.

A Kurz or Rudan would certainly achieve more in this area, as would a profile coach from overseas who would have a cache of contacts and relationships. Spend a little more in the coaching area and your options would open up immensely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred