• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

The COVID Chat

scottmac

Suspended
I agree but that doesn't tell you what happens 3/5/10 years after you've had it for example. Anyway it's done now so we'll see.

I thought it was interesting that my friends in the UK didn't want Pfizer they wanted AZ. Whether that's because of the different tech, the fact AZ was developed in Oxford or whatever else, it shows how media reporting or poor messaging can slant things.
I challenge you to find a vaccine that has side effects that occur after years. The vaccine goes in and is then metabolised by your body and expelled leaving your adaptive immunity (that part which learns) with a picture of a specific section of the virus which happens to be a protein spike. This only brings about an immune response in the body if that protein spike is present. Side effects from vaccine's occur in hours and days. Maybe weeks. Never years.

Ancient Mariner

I challenge you to find a vaccine that has side effects that occur after years. The vaccine goes in and is then metabolised by your body and expelled leaving your adaptive immunity (that part which learns) with a picture of a specific section of the virus which happens to be a protein spike. This only brings about an immune response in the body if that protein spike is present. Side effects from vaccine's occur in hours and days. Maybe weeks. Never years.
I know of one.
The scar left from the smallpox vaccine that was given to Australian travellers before the disease was eradicated.
This scar (side effect) lasted years. ;)

Corsair

Reminder that some people have suffered fatal side effects and died after being vaccinated with AZ.

Yes the number is statistically tiny, yes you might argue it's because of underlying conditions, but they still died after receiving the injection. If that was your immediate relative you might have a different view.

There can be side effects and as much as you "kinda" know there won't be long term side effects, you don't know. These vaccines have not been used long term outside of clinical trials. Given the tiny number with clotting side effects from AZ, there "kinda" might also be a tiny number with long term issues arising.

That doubt is not significant enough in my opinion to prevent the rollout. The benefits do outweigh the risks, but it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Insertnamehere

Reminder that some people have suffered fatal side effects and died after being vaccinated with AZ.

Yes the number is statistically tiny, yes you might argue it's because of underlying conditions, but they still died after receiving the injection. If that was your immediate relative you might have a different view.

There can be side effects and as much as you "kinda" know there won't be long term side effects, you don't know. These vaccines have not been used long term outside of clinical trials. Given the tiny number with clotting side effects from AZ, there "kinda" might also be a tiny number with long term issues arising.

That doubt is not significant enough in my opinion to prevent the rollout. The benefits do outweigh the risks, but it doesn't mean they don't exist.
You can die as a side effect of eating. Its called choking.

scottmac

Suspended

Yes. We do know. No one is saying risks aren't there. Side effects happen when you take it. Not years later and if you start telling people that "we don't know what will happen" your spreading misinformation. Do some research outside of your social feeds. Like I said in my previous post if you are worried about this effecting people years down the track, try and find another vaccine with side effects that occur years later. If you do you'll be a world social media hero and prove alot of anti vaxers right.

Corsair

Yes. We do know. No one is saying risks aren't there. Side effects happen when you take it. Not years later and if you start telling people that "we don't know what will happen" your spreading misinformation. Do some research outside of your social feeds. Like I said in my previous post if you are worried about this effecting people years down the track, try and find another vaccine with side effects that occur years later. If you do you'll be a world social media hero and prove alot of anti vaxers right.
(Edited to remove reference to potential loony)

You're 100% convinced there will never be any long term side effects and I'm saying it's unlikely but you can't be 100% sure, that's why there are systems in place for monitoring the long term effects. We're never going to agree so let's agree to disagree.

Despite being able to empathize with those who are hesitant, I encourage everyone to get vaccinated, the consequences and long term effects of the disease far outweigh any potential risk from the vaccines.

Last edited:

marinermick

You're 100% convinced there will never be any long term side effects and I'm saying it's unlikely but you can't be 100% sure, that's why there are systems in place for monitoring the long term effects. We're never going to agree so let's agree to disagree.

Despite being able to empathize with those who are hesitant, I encourage everyone to get vaccinated, the consequences and long term effects of the disease far outweigh any potential risk from the vaccines.

That paper you linked was not peer reviewed, widely debunked, didn’t follow proper scientific protocols and results were unable to be reproduced in subsequent experiments.

scottmac

Suspended

Systems in place for monitoring vaccines are to ensure ongoing efficacy and safety for people to receive it if they haven't already and to ensure the vaccine continues to provide protection from mutations of the virus. Not side effects that happen years down the track. They just don't exist.

marinermick

Thank f**k we’ve got some immunology nerds on here!

I get involved in way too many conversations like this to my liking. Google Dunning Kruger to see why this is happening.

I work in immunology. I have a pretty good understanding of how the immune system and vaccines work, however my knowledge only scratches the surface of what I know about the science. It is complex and involved.

I do, however, work with clinicians, including immunologists, on a daily basis and their knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

I have yet to meet one that:
- believes Covid is a hoax
- believes Covid is just a flu
- believes that vaccines don’t work
- believes that we should not be vaccinating against Covid

To me, coupled with what little knowledge I have (and it is more than most), the word of those clinicians carry more weight than Joe Plumber, Greg Train Guard, Tammy Mummy Blogger or Ivan Footballer posting memes and unsubstantiated quotes on social media.

I encourage questioning and skepticism. That is how we advance science and medicine. But when that questioning is done without any knowledge or evidence it just erodes the good work people who have knowledge and create evidence, do out there.

Ironbark

...I do, however, work with clinicians, including immunologists, on a daily basis and their knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

I have yet to meet one that:
- believes Covid is a hoax
- believes Covid is just a flu
- believes that vaccines don’t work
- believes that we should not be vaccinating against Covid

To me, coupled with what little knowledge I have (and it is more than most), the word of those clinicians carry more weight than Joe Plumber, Greg Train Guard, Tammy Mummy Blogger or Ivan Footballer posting memes and unsubstantiated quotes on social media.

I encourage questioning and skepticism. That is how we advance science and medicine. But when that questioning is done without any knowledge or evidence it just erodes the good work people who have knowledge and create evidence, do out there.

I think I've got a meme for every argument, but this can switch out for vaccines just as easily
IMG-20210825-WA0000.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred