• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tards Round 1 Match Thread

midfielder

Below are sites I have used to stream games in order of how good I have found them...hope they work this year...

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-wabsg-1.html

www.integritynet.com.au

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/

http://www.iraqgoals.com/?page_id=18

http://www.soccerpro.com

http://www.justin.tv/iraqgoals

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/najaf

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=football

http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-2710.html

http://www.sportsflash.com.au/SeriesHome.aspx?spname=SOC&compid=196
link

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=31348&part=sports

Arabmariner

RADINHO said:
Want to make some quick money ;)

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/sports/summary/SportID/71/CompetitionPID/19468/RoundPID/17301

Melbourne Victory------1.57 
Draw------------------3.60
Central Coast Mariners--6.00
I'll be having some of that thanks very much.

$6.00 the win in a 2 horse race is too good to pass up.

Btw is there a tipping comp this year ?

bjw

bjw
Arabmariner said:
RADINHO said:

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/sports/summary/SportID/71/CompetitionPID/19468/RoundPID/17301

++ Betting Syndacite (sp)?

Forum Phoenix

Arabmariner said:
RADINHO said:

I thought you meant TAB Sportsbet... their odds are...

Melbourne Victory 1.68 $ 
Draw 3.55 $ 
Central Coast Mariners 4.85  $

Can you only get on, on this other sportsbet online?

Mariners/Mariners is paying $8.50 on TAB Sportsbet though  ;)
And the draw is as Fish said a decent cover bet.

marinermick

Coast FM will be starting their coverage from 7:00pm on 96.3FM or www.coastfm.org.au

The first half an hour will be dedicated to a season preview with sound bites from all the coaches discussing their three keys to season success and their prediction for second place behind themselves (minus Miron and his inane dribblings and irrelevant responses to the questions).

Game preview starts at 7:30pm with sound bites from Lawrie McKinna, Ernie Merrick and Kevin Muscat. We will also be discussing Craig Foster's comments about Scottish coaches with responses from Ernie Merrick, Ian Ferguson and Lawrie McKinna. Merrick's response is quite relevant because he was the coach that gave Foster his development in national youth league through to seniors.

Match coverage starts a little after 8:00pm.

Deej

Likely team

--------------Vuko
Boogs-----Doig-----Wilko------Heff
----McGlinchey--Pedj---Hutcho
----Porter----Simon----Kwas

Bench - Elrich, Macca, Travis and Redders

northernspirit

Deej said:
Likely team

--------------Vuko

no DM? if we play that flat back four we always do against melbourne we're gonna be slaughtered

mariners4ever

Deej said:
Likely team

--------------Vuko

porter up front ?? or will it turn into more of a 4-3-2-1/4-3-1-2 ???

Razorback

Deej said:
Likely team

--------------Vuko

how do you know this?

Bear

he knows what he knows ;)

i think its a very attacking formation tbh

and any chance to get porter out of the backline is a plus, archie owns him every single time

nero

Porter need to play any where but at right back. If he is there it is a much higher chance that we will lose tomorrow night.

clarence

Bear said:
he knows what he knows ;)

i think its a very attacking formation tbh

and any chance to get porter out of the backline is a plus, archie owns him every single time
+1 Bear.

I think this attacking lineup has quite some speed about it. Could give old Kevvie's legs a bit of a workover too.

But Pedj's performance in the centre midfield role would have to be crucial to the formation holding shape.

If Pedj starts losing the battle in the middle, I can see Hutch & Porter moving inwards, not sure about McGlinchey's response would be as this would be his first A-League game (if he starts). Those sort of rallying into the centre would pull us out of shape and then we'd be exposed down the flanks. Boogs would be in all sort of strife if Porter wandered into the centre to help out Pedj, and Melbourne switched wide to attack Boogs.

So, yes, in that sort of formation, Pedj would have to be rock solid and hold his own. I could also see Melbourne flooding the centre trying to create the illusion that Pedj was being bombarded, then switching their formation to a wider one real quick and counter attacking down the wings, once we fell for the bluff and had one or two outside midfielders come in.

bjw

bjw
Deej said:
Likely team

--------------Vuko

Caceres not even on the bench????????

btw- 1000th post. gw me.

Sean

Melbourne Victory v Central Coast Mariners

Thursday 6th August, 8:00 PM
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne
Fox Sports 3

Tards:

Merrick has picked a squad of 16 for the match, with Surat Sukha, Steven Pace, Mathew Theodore and Daniel Vasilevski left out, and Nathan Elasi on international duty.

Billy Celeski is still around 90 percent after off-season surgery on his hip and will not start on the pitch opening the way for Leigh Broxham to have his first start in a Hyundai A-League game since the final match of the 2007/08 season.

"After the way last season went personally, I've got over all my injuries and Ernie's been happy with me and I've been playing. It's about putting everything behind me and looking forward to this year," Broxham said.

Melbourne Victory Squad: 1.Mitch LANGERAK (gk), 2.Kevin MUSCAT (c), 6.Leigh BROXHAM, 7.Matthew KEMP, 8.Grant BREBNER, 9.Danny ALLSOPP, 10.Archie THOMPSON, 11.NEY FABIANO, 12.Rodrigo VARGAS, 14.Billy CELESKI, 15.Tom PONDELJAK, 16.Carlos HERNANDEZ, 19.Evan BERGER, 20.Glenn MOSS (gk), 22.Nick WARD

Unavailable: nil

CCM:

The Mariners go into the game set to field up to three debutantes, with new signings Chris Doig, Nicky Travis and Michael McGlinchey all included in the traveling party, while Simon will fight it out with Adam Kwasnik and Dylan Macallister for starting places up front.

"Its healthy for any club to have all its strikers fit and ready to go. Its good for the gaffer and its good for us to try to win the spots at training.

Central Coast Mariners Squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 4. Pedj BOJIC, 5. Brad PORTER, 7. John HUTCHINSON, 8. Dean HEFFERNAN, 11. Dylan MACALLISTER, 14. Michael McGLINCHEY, 16. Nigel BOOGAARD, 17. Chris DOIG, 18. Alex WILKINSON (c), 19. Matt SIMON, 20. Danny VUKOVIC (gk), 21. Ahmad ELRICH, 22. Nicky TRAVIS, 23. Adam KWASNIK.

Unavailable: nil

Forum Phoenix

Deej said:
Likely team

--------------Vuko

d

I agree on teh selection but 3 upfront? I know we played this last year a few times, but without Mile, woulf have though a 442, or 4231 is more likely?
I'd be surprised? Not

marinermick

Forum Phoenix said:
Deej said:
Likely team

--------------Vuko

d

I agree on teh selection but 3 upfront? I know we played this last year a few times, but without Mile, woulf have though a 442, or 4231 is more likely?
I'd be surprised? Not

In reality there will be only one up front and the selection of Porter up there gives that away. Pedj will have to play the holding role which means Mc and Hutch will have to tuck in, which means Porter and Kwas will also come back and cover players like Berger and Kemp.

Those players selected also give you plenty of workrate, pace and mobility in the front two-thirds and you will sure need it against Melbourne.

I like the way it looks.

bulldogmariner

Cant sleep game day is upon us. Looking forward to heading to Melbourne to see the Mariners sail away with the A-League Title.

marinermick

some press over here in melbourne:

Mariners coach wary before season opener
Grantley Bernard
Herald Sun

August 06, 2009 12:00am

IN his thick Scottish accent, Central Coast coach Lawrie McKinna used Australian humour to describe tonight's clash with Melbourne Victory.

"Easy," McKinna said, knowing it will be anything but at Etihad Stadium.

"It's a hard one, but we have to play them some time and there's nothing better than in the first game. Pre-season has been all right and there's nothing better than a big crowd and a beautiful stadium to open the season."

Certainly, McKinna is not being blase about tonight's game, acknowledging the scale of the task facing the Mariners by nominating Victory, expansion team Gold Coast United and Perth Glory as his title favourites.

"Melbourne has kept a stable squad," McKinna said.

"(Melbourne) were the best team last year and they have consistency over the journey. They're stable on and off the field and (captain Kevin) Muscat going around again is a huge win for them. He is so influential."

That the Mariners are a more than capable outfit seems to have been overlooked by some pundits after their disappointing Asian Champions League campaign.

While the Mariners flopped in Asia, they made the A-League finals for the third time in four seasons, underlining their consistency.

That said, the Mariners squad has undergone significant changes this season as Sash Petrovski, Andre Gumprecht, Greg Owens and Matt Osman have departed Bluetongue Stadium, following Mile Jedinak's mid-season transfer to Turkey.

The Mariners have gone overseas for replacements, bringing Adam Kwasnik back from Wellington Phoenix and signing defender Chris Doig (Northampton Town), midfielder Michael McGlinchey (Glasgow Celtic) and winger Nick Travis (Sheffield United).

That's a decent turnover for the Mariners, who still had 11 original squad members on their books last season and felt it was time for a shake-up.

"We told the boys last season is gone and we have to get over that," McKinna said.

"We've had some good (pre-season) results and we're reasonably happy and if we get a good result on Thursday, last season is well forgotten.

"It would be nice to play beautiful football, but the result is more important for us, as it is for Melbourne."

Melbourne plays down hopes of defending crown
Michael Lynch
The Age

THE bookies might have Melbourne Victory as favourite, and most of its rivals nominate it as the benchmark club, but coach Ernie Merrick and captain Kevin Muscat are loathe to label the side as the team to beat as they gear up for the defence of their A-League championship against Central Coast Mariners at Etihad Stadium tonight.

Given the regard it is held in by the bookmaking fraternity and the rest of the competition, it might sound strange to hear Merrick suggesting that his club has flown under the radar. In the sense that everyone fears it and knows what it is capable of, it hasnt.

But Melbourne certainly has not played as many high-profile games as the bulk of its rivals, contenting itself with a long, slow and steady preparation involving little-publicised or behind-closed-doors games against state league clubs. Draws with A-League clubs Wellington and Adelaide United were both played a long way from home, in New Zealand and Launceston, restricting prying eyes.

When the team runs out tonight there will be few surprises, perhaps save for the omission of Billy Celeski and the likely presence of Grant Brebner and Leigh Broxham in the starting line-up.

Merrick declared a week ago that the diminutive Broxham would play, and the coach confirmed yesterday that Celeski a player he believes is up to World Cup standard was not quite yet at his best following off-season surgery.

Hes probably three weeks away from being at peak fitness but hes 90 per cent, and since Broxham and Brebner and these boys are doing really well in the middle, I dont think he will start, Billy, but hes not far away, he said.

Billy is that good that hes in with a chance down the track for the World Cup squad. I think he and Archie [striker Archie Thompson] are two that could be. Billy I thought was outstanding last year, hes featured in just about every national team and I think hes not too far away from the senior squad. Once he gets fully fit after his clean-out operation on his hip he will be back in our team.

Muscat insists there will be no loss of focus now that a second title has been won.

If you dont improve, teams will catch you up and pass you by. Our focus is to improve and we think weve done that. Weve worked on quite a few things in the off-season and in the pre-season and hopefully that will come to fruition. All that we will maintain, without confusing confidence with arrogance, well go into every game thinking we can win it. Its no different [tonight], we want to get off to a very good start.

The Mariners are desperate to start the new season and get out of the slump the club has been in since the end of last year following the departure of Mile Jedinak, now a regular Socceroo midfielder, to Turkey. The Gosford club has not won a game since Jedinak left, and is anxious to draw a line under its A-League finals fade-out and a disappointing Asian Champions League campaign in which it failed to win a match.

Coach Lawrie McKinna is happy with the new additions he has brought in, Scotsman Chris Doig, once of Premier League Nottingham Forest, Michael McGlinchey, released by Scottish giant Celtic, and Nicky Travis, an attacking midfielder from the Mariners sister club Sheffield United. The first two are expected to start tonight.

Doig gives us a bit of presence at the back, hes a good leader on the field, he complements Wilko [skipper Alex Wilkinson] really well. Young McGlinchey got released from Celtic, hes good on the ball, makes great runs forward, McKinna said.

The memories of the disappointing denouement to last season and the fruitless Asian adventure have been put behind them, the coach says.

Thats all gone now confidence goes out of the window when you lose games. The Champions League, we could have three or four of those games if we had not given away silly goals.

We are not interested in what happened at the tail-end of last season this is new, its this season we are concerned about.

We have had a reasonable pre-season, we are happy where we are at, we are going into the game on Thursday full of confidence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred