• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Tards Round 1 Match Thread

Marquee

Who would have thought that after Round 1, the Mariners are one of only two to have kept a clean sheet?

Doig for cult hero status.

midfielder

Wombat said:
offtheball said:
Foster really gives it to Kawrie and Merrick in today's paper.

Foster is a sad delusional wanker.

Every other person who has written about the game and the callers on the night where full of praise for a well tho out game plan... and a high degree of holding shape ... but Mr " I ahte the Mariners himself" ......... I know old soccer SBS don't want us ... but does he have to take it up the arse from Les Murry every time he talks about us...

FOOK SBS & FOOK Foster

FFC Mariner

Ernie Merrick didnt miss him when interviewed though.

Pointed out that he (Merrick) was Fosters coach when he was a young player, Foster also rated Terry Venables as the best coach he has ever worked with. Used the word laughable to describe the criticism I think it was.

LM was all class - said he was Australian lol

As Mick said in the broadcast on Thursday - racist comments

snowroo

It's unfortunate that Forster uses his position within the media to write and talk mostly negatively about the A-League. Crist, we get enough of that from the Phil Rothfield's of the media. Must be the worst case of sour grapes I've ever seen. Wanker, I live for the day he gets replaced. I won't hold my breath though.

What a top start to the season. I personally think GCU will be the ones to beat. That will be a real test and can't wait for that game. The new signings have made a real difference and leaves me far more excited about our chances than I had before the weekend.

dru

Marquee said:
Who would have thought that after Round 1, the Mariners are the only one to have kept a clean sheet? (New-Wel are 2-2 at HT)
Try Adelaide as well ;)

Arabmariner

I often wonder if the c**t has been beaten up badly by a Scotsman at some time in his life such is his hatred for us.

Feelings mutual anyway.

C**t.

fedelta

Jazzie said:
I must sound like a dill, but what paper does Foster write for?

Article is in the Sun Herald.
Whining about how the season opener was rubbish due to us and melb's embarrassing long-ball tactics

Forum Phoenix

f**k I hate you Fossie.
:redcard: :redcard: :redcard:
You will never progress the game in this country with your negativity. You are a blight on football in this country and Johnny Warren would turn in his grave at your relentless assault on passionate players, clubs and coaches who are giving their all to the growth of our beloved game, while a parasite like you rides on the back of everyone elses efforts, feeding off the host while slowly killing it. I hate not being able to support SBS, but you and Les have made it simply impossible to do so anymore. Your a petty, elitist, small minded, blood sucking prick.

midfielder

Forum Phoenix said:
f**k I hate you Fossie.
:redcard: :redcard: :redcard:
You will never progress the game in this country with your negativity. You are a blight on football in this country and Johnny Warren would turn in his grave at your relentless assault on passionate players, clubs and coaches who are giving their all to the growth of our beloved game, while a parasite like you rides on the back of everyone elses efforts, feeding off the host while slowly killing it. I hate not being able to support SBS, but you and Les have made it simply impossible to do so anymore. Your a petty, elitist, small minded, blood sucking prick.

Well said...

midfielder

Now here is a real look at our opening game from ...The Roar (not the Qld Team) ... by the Tony Annous (the Roundball Analyst  ) http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/08/07/a-victory-for-one-manager-a-template-for-eight-others/

A victory for one manager, a template for eight others

While the Central Coast Mariners had a touch of fortune with both their goals in last nights A-League opener, this was a victory for a simple but effective strategy from Lawrie McKinna. Eight other managers are now likely to use it as a template when visiting the champions.

Too often in past seasons the Mariners have been guilty of coming to Docklands, defending high and giving up far too much space in behind.

Invariably they have been carved up by the pace of the Allsopp-Thompson axis.

This time though McKinna came with a plan to sit deep, on the 18 yard box, and not allow any space in-behind.

Having the experienced talker Chris Doig alongside skipper Alex Wilkinson provided the organisation, with Doig dictating the position of the line.

In front of them, McKinna used twin screeners in Pedj Bojic and John Hutchinson. Bojic, in particular, was outstanding with his defensive work.

The plan was to frustrate the Victory, get in the back of Carlos Hernandez and deny him any space to turn and play, and cut off the supply to the strikers.

Michael McGlinchey, playing in front of Bojic and Hutchinson, did a very good defensive job, putting pressure on Leigh Broxham and Grant Brebner and helping the tireless Matt Simon defend from the front.

Simons battle with Kevin Muscat was a show on its own.

The other effective McKinna tactic was to put two athletic players in the wing positions.

Ernie Merrick likes his fullbacks to provide the width and penetration from deep, and, if allowed to run unchecked, Matt Kemp and Evan Berger are hard to contain.

But in Adam Kwasnik and Brad Porter, McKinna had two men willing to track the runs.

Particularly on the right, they were able to usher Berger into cul-de-sacs.

In attack, the plan was to get the ball forward quickly, and early on the Mariners transition was good. The second goal came from one such early outlet ball.

The early goals provided the confidence and comfort to stick with their strategy, and there was no need to deviate from it, despite Melbourne having a real crack in the second period.

Naturally, at some point, and especially at home, McKinnas men will need to come out and play a bit more, and we will see if McGlinchey can influence the play in a more offensive sense.

But the early signs are excellent, and McKinna looks to have acquired three good signings; an experienced central defender and two hunger midfield buzzers (Nicky Travis came on for McGlinchey and clipped one delightful ball in behind).

For a team that didnt win its first 11 games of 2009, thats now five straight undefeated games when you factor in the four pre-season matches against A-League sides.

As for Melbourne, there were some eyebrows raised when the team was announced with Brebner and Broxham starting, and last years grand finalists, Billy Celeski and Nicky Ward on the bench.

The word is Celeski isnt yet fully fit after off-season surgery, but even then the midfield shape looked unnecessarily defensive. Ward made an impression late.

And as if the two goal loss wasnt enough. Muscats hamstring injury now exposes an area that has been the talk of Melbournes pre-season, the lack of central defensive cover.

Names mentioned include Kemp, Steven Pace and Surat Sukha, but another that might come into calculations is Brebner, unless of course Merrick goes shopping.

With all the pre-season attention on those north, west and east, the benchmark setting southerns have escaped the questions, but Muscats injury, the loss and the below-average attendance will spice things up a touch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred