• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Socceroos vs Kuwait in Canberra

W

Wilson

Mariner Girl said:
Doesn't matter - they still should've won. They were crap and an embarrassment to the shirt. They did nothing to dispell Pim's comments about the A-League.

Pim's comments about the A-League were made prior to that performance!!!!!
So why were you expecting us to win!!! They did nothing to dispell Pim's comments because his comments were acurate!!

Jesus

Jesus
That said i still think we had a team that could and should have won. If not for an inexperienced mullen letting his player past, and some dissapointing finishing we would have won.

Let's not forget we have beaten them with a-league squads before.

Mariner Girl

I agree with you. He is totally correct with his comments and I know he made them before the match.

What I meant was this. If I was an A-League player picked for the Socceroos and went into that match with his comments about the A-League ringing in my ears, I would try and play my arse off to try and shove his comments down his throat.

Maybe my wording came out wrong - sorry!

David Votoupal

If ever there was proof that a coaching revolution is needed in the A-League, this would be it.

The way our league is set up doesn't encourage betterment in any meaningful way. It encourages mediocrity and this shows when they are up against the rest of the world.

I'd rather watch teams like Swansea, Peterborough, Oldham, Exeter and Bury who actually play good football this season and certainly better than any A-League side is playing right now.

Razorback

dibo said:
Razorback said:
Of course because Lawire's selections in recent games have been spot on! Wake up to yourself.

Did I say that? I said that the two situations aren't directly comparable.

If you think they are, feel free to make an argument to explain why.

Your whole arguement was based on selections. All I have said is that Lawrie's selections in the past have been questionable also, thus comparable!

Just once it would be nice to read a post from you that wasn't completely brown nosing the gaffer or the club! Especially in recent times as there have been nothing to be excited about from the club. Its so frustating to read! And every post seems to be "well look at the bright side, we are not newcastle" or some crap like that!

kevrenor

David Votoupal said:
I'd rather watch teams like ... Oldham ....

Go Latics!

I hate to say it but on this one Craig Foster might be right ... shudder!

Who is coaching the coaches, and what mind-opening experiences are they getting.

Lawrie had been sent to Sheffield .... hmmm

W

Wilson

Mariner Girl said:
I agree with you. He is totally correct with his comments and I know he made them before the match.

What I meant was this. If I was an A-League player picked for the Socceroos and went into that match with his comments about the A-League ringing in my ears, I would try and play my arse off to try and shove his comments down his throat.

Maybe my wording came out wrong - sorry!

No need to be sorry!!
Maybe what he said backfired!! A-League players are technically not as good as those from any number of professional leagues throughout the world. And when players are under pressure or fatigued one of the first thing that is exposed is poor technique.

They were under pressure! More so than usual!!

And the Kuwaiti's away from home with their superior technical ability and less presure were able to expose our deficiencies easily.

Jesus

Jesus
David Votoupal said:
If ever there was proof that a coaching revolution is needed in the A-League, this would be it.

The way our league is set up doesn't encourage betterment in any meaningful way. It encourages mediocrity and this shows when they are up against the rest of the world.

I'd rather watch teams like Swansea, Peterborough, Oldham, Exeter and Bury who actually play good football this season and certainly better than any A-League side is playing right now.

Disagree. I do not think the way a hastly thrown together squad with little time together plays is a valid reflection of the a-leagues quality. I would like to see the level of coaching in the a-league increase,  but think that it is a long bow to suggest that last game is definative proof. The fact is we could and should have won last night, even with the poor build up. We have the players needed to beat this level of asian opponent, but they need more time together.

Pim should have tried to get as many players in camp as soon as possible, and held a trial, say vs newcastle, who would certainly of accepted, to get the players more used to each other.

The other option, for games when going with no lead in, with players who havent played together is to instead just select melbourne victory. Fill in the foreigner holes, maybe put soem other lads on the bench, but start with a team who have played together and are used to each other.

If you dont have time to build a cohesive team, why not import it straight from the a-league?

Razorback

kevrenor said:
David Votoupal said:
I'd rather watch teams like ... Oldham ....

Go Latics!

I hate to say it but on this one Craig Foster might be right ... shudder!

Who is coaching the coaches, and what mind-opening experiences are they getting.

Lawrie had been sent to Sheffield .... hmmm

top post

dibo

Jesus said:
That said i still think we had a team that could and should have won. If not for an inexperienced mullen letting his player past, and some dissapointing finishing we would have won.

actually the goal itself should have been disallowed. while mullen was well beaten, there was a player clearly offside, and while he didn't touch the ball himself, he was clearly influencing the movement of both the defenders in the area and the keeper. when robbie says 'galekovic can't come for that' - he says it's because it's too flat but he's also trying to keep half an eye on the offside man. that's offside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfBO3TnQfpQ

nevertheless, we should have been pumped 4-0, so i'm not going to whinge too hard about that.

Razorback said:
dibo said:
Razorback said:
Of course because Lawire's selections in recent games have been spot on! Wake up to yourself.

Did I say that? I said that the two situations aren't directly comparable.

If you think they are, feel free to make an argument to explain why.

Your whole arguement was based on selections. All I have said is that Lawrie's selections in the past have been questionable also, thus comparable!

Just once it would be nice to read a post from you that wasn't completely brown nosing the gaffer or the club! Especially in recent times as there have been nothing to be excited about from the club. Its so frustating to read! And every post seems to be "well look at the bright side, we are not newcastle" or some crap like that!

I talked about selections, but I disagree that my 'whole arguement' (sic) was based on selections. I also talked about the fact that Lawrie's got a very limited list to draw from, Pim doesn't. It's the national team FFS - Pim can call players in from anywhere, Lawrie can't. If Pim wanted bloody Tim Cahill playing, he could have made it happen.

Frankly I'm getting sick of people who don't get that we (the Mariners and the A-League as a whole) don't have unlimited money and players at our disposal and somehow expect that we're going to be able to seamlessly cover the loss of our best player.

The reality check is this - the A-League operates on a very limited budget and from a very limited pool of players. For all the talk of coaching revolutions and other assorted things there is a simple fact that cannot be avoided - we (at the league level, and certainly at our club) can't compete for the level of players and coaches that people seem to want.

Only one club made a profit this year. That's after four years. AFAIK there have been four profit results issued in the entire history of the league (three to Melobourne, one to us). That's 28 loss results. There's not enough money going in at the moment from sponsorship, gates and whatever else to move balance sheets forward at present.

The youth league is up, and this will deliver players over time. Youth development programs are being run with a bit more professionalism by State federations, and this will deliver players over time.

But to get better players in the A-League immediately needs more money, pure and simple. Jonas Salley is an ordinary player in the A-League but he's off to China for more money than we'd be paying anybody. That's the reality of it. Without a higher cap, we're losing quality. Welcome to the free market. There has to be an injection of hard cash before we can do things like bump up the cap.

It's not exciting, it's not inspiring, but that's football. This is what's under the glitter and shine. You can all wring your hands and have a whinge, but there are simple reasons why the league as a whole (and our club in particular) loses players and can't replace them with stars. No amount of whinging about the gaffer will change anything.

David Votoupal

Our league suffers from a lack of creativity and imagination, something provided by imports like Hernandez and Miller. Back in the day we had Crino, Halpin, Mendez and Carle (et al) for that.

It alarms me that our league is not only behind Europe's lower divisions, but even many Asian and African countries in terms of coaching and technical development- and some of those countries have far less money than we do, and yet have been exposed to foreign coaching influences for DECADES.

dibo

David Votoupal said:
Our league suffers from a lack of creativity and imagination, something provided by imports like Hernandez and Miller. Back in the day we had Crino, Halpin, Mendez and Carle (et al) for that.

It alarms me that our league is not only behind Europe's lower divisions, but even many Asian and African countries in terms of coaching and technical development- and some of those countries have far less money than we do, and yet have been exposed to foreign coaching influences for DECADES.

remember that the post NSL (and even end of NSL) hangover is still with us. players like kwas came through just at the period where he needed regular first team matches, and he needed enough matches. unfortunately, the NSL fell apart and there was a 15 month (or thereabouts) gap. he's now in his prime, but he and a generation of players at his age are still showing the effects. but then look at some of the players in the NYL - there's some quality there and only some of that will make the A-League.

let our development programs actually bring some players through the new system, and then judge. it's going to take time. you can't just wave a foreign coach over the player for five minutes and make them a better player.

on asian and african nations having less money - that's a pretty debatable point. our league has enormous travel, administration and marketing costs compared to what many of 'developing' football nations would. we're running a league across an entire continent in competition with three other codes of football in a first world economy. we've got problems that some asian and african competitions wouldn't even dream of.

serious14

Arnold out. 

Solves a lot of problems right there - he is the one common thread in every single shit performance of the last 3 years or so.  He ruined a generation of quite good players with the Olyroos debacle, and lest I mention the Asian Cup......

"Hey Pim, Graham here, the guy on the touchline??  Yes yes, I still have a job with you.  Listen, we're a goal down with ten minutes to go, the long balls havn't been working, I suggest we put on a defender, then stick him up front...... what do you mean that's crazy??  I did it at the Olympics with the Hyphenator in the exact same situation and it worked a treat".

:naughty: :fireup:

hasbeen

I've been watching the Blue Square Premier League on Setanta and it's on a par if not slightly better than the A-League (that's 5th Division in England) ... all our decent players are already overseas .. so it doesn't leave much. 

David Votoupal

hasbeen said:
I've been watching the Blue Square Premier League on Setanta and it's on a par if not slightly better than the A-League (that's 5th Division in England) ... all our decent players are already overseas .. so it doesn't leave much. 

Many other countries have a lot of players abroad, yet still have domestic leagues with good quality players ready for international duty. That is no excuse.

dibo: I can find many examples of how coaches made rapid improvements in national teams and a nation's entire football structures.

dibo

David Votoupal said:
hasbeen said:

Many other countries have a lot of players abroad, yet still have domestic leagues with good quality players ready for international duty. That is no excuse.

dibo: I can find many examples of how coaches made rapid improvements in national teams and a nation's entire football structures.

you haven't noticed we've got foreign coaches running the national team and both designing and implementing much of the junior development system? there's been a helluva lot of new faces and serious reform (and rancour) in this area in the last 5 years or so but it takes time. don't forget that where a player's development at an early age is deficient there's a limit to what you can achieve. you can't expect that we could hire bora milutinovic (or whoever) and the side will suddenly be like nigeria in 1998.

not many other countries have both a drain of players overseas and to other codes. our talent pool is limited on two fronts. how do you judge 'ready for international duty' anyway. i think by selecting different players a different result last night could have been achieved.

blastbum

For me, the worst part of the game was when Simon didn't get his header on target from close range. I squirmed in my seat and really felt for the guy. I wanted so bad to see all the Simon haters eat humble pie, but it wasn't to be.  :'(

Jesus

Jesus
David Votoupal said:
hasbeen said:

Which other counrties are you suggesting have over 100 of their top players overseas, has our population and competition for top athletes, and runs a better national league than us? I am very interested to know.

nikko

Suspended
Jesus said:
Numbers are due to AFC rules that every player in the qualifiers and tornament must have their own number.

I think now pim needs to schedule a few friendlies against mid level asian teams to give the a-league squad time to gel together and get to know each other. He also needs to get some of these lads training with the first roos squad when possible.

That said in 6 months for the next qualyfier we could well have culina, coyne, sterjovski, chippers and dukes in an a-league squad. No need to worry just yet.

dukes hahaha bullshit jesus

Jesus

Jesus
nikko said:
Jesus said:
Numbers are due to AFC rules that every player in the qualifiers and tornament must have their own number.

I think now pim needs to schedule a few friendlies against mid level asian teams to give the a-league squad time to gel together and get to know each other. He also needs to get some of these lads training with the first roos squad when possible.

That said in 6 months for the next qualyfier we could well have culina, coyne, sterjovski, chippers and dukes in an a-league squad. No need to worry just yet.

dukes hahaha bullshit jesus

He is leaving newcastle, and is apparently talking to melb knights, should be back in australia at seasons end anyway.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred