• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Socceroos vs Kuwait in Canberra

W

Wilson

Jesus said:
David Votoupal said:
hasbeen said:
I've been watching the Blue Square Premier League on Setanta and it's on a par if not slightly better than the A-League (that's 5th Division in England) ... all our decent players are already overseas .. so it doesn't leave much. 

Many other countries have a lot of players abroad, yet still have domestic leagues with good quality players ready for international duty. That is no excuse.

dibo: I can find many examples of how coaches made rapid improvements in national teams and a nation's entire football structures.

Which other counrties are you suggesting have over 100 of their top players overseas, has our population and competition for top athletes, and runs a better national league than us? I am very interested to know.

Argentina?? USA??

Ursus

David Votoupal said:
If ever there was proof that a coaching revolution is needed in the A-League, this would be it.

The way our league is set up doesn't encourage betterment in any meaningful way. It encourages mediocrity and this shows when they are up against the rest of the world.

I'd rather watch teams like Swansea, Peterborough, Oldham, Exeter and Bury who actually play good football this season and certainly better than any A-League side is playing right now.

The coaching is needed before A-League level and it is beginning to happen (mariners Academy). FFS as Dibo points out in one of his posts it will take time. I am getting very tired of people here expecting a magic wand to be waved and for us to beat Man U consistently.

dibo

Wilson said:
Jesus said:
David Votoupal said:
hasbeen said:
I've been watching the Blue Square Premier League on Setanta and it's on a par if not slightly better than the A-League (that's 5th Division in England) ... all our decent players are already overseas .. so it doesn't leave much. 

Many other countries have a lot of players abroad, yet still have domestic leagues with good quality players ready for international duty. That is no excuse.

dibo: I can find many examples of how coaches made rapid improvements in national teams and a nation's entire football structures.

Which other counrties are you suggesting have over 100 of their top players overseas, has our population and competition for top athletes, and runs a better national league than us? I am very interested to know.

Argentina?? USA??

USA yes, but what internal competition for talent does Argentina have? Futbol is number one in Argentina. In the USA they've also got a significant college system that feeds the MLS (which itself is very similar in many respects to the A-League but which is ten years older and better developed). We should aspire to have a league as strong as the MLS.

W

Wilson

dibo said:
Wilson said:
Jesus said:
David Votoupal said:
hasbeen said:

Argentina?? USA??

USA yes, but what internal competition for talent does Argentina have? Futbol is number one in Argentina. In the USA they've also got a significant college system that feeds the MLS (which itself is very similar in many respects to the A-League but which is ten years older and better developed). We should aspire to have a league as strong as the MLS.

Apart from extreme poverty!!! Just kidding, but if parents in Argentina had to pay $1300 for a kids rego how many players would they have playing????????????

Argentina has Rugby and Basketball abviously not as big as football but they are competitors.

dibo

obviously, kids don't have to pay $1300 for rego there. they don't have to in other codes here either - the NRL and AFL subsidise the hell out of junior participation. the FFA, had they the money to do so, could make participation in junior elite football more accessible to the masses, but again until we've got a lot more money, ain't gonna happen.

Jesus

Jesus
Wilson said:
Jesus said:
David Votoupal said:
hasbeen said:

Argentina?? USA??

The population fo both these countries far exceeds our own. Have another go.

Jesus

Jesus
Argentina has rugby and basketball? Compare that to how many sports do we throw money and athletes at?

Rugby,league,alf,cricket, swimming, athletics, basketball to name just the big ones

dibo

who else was at this game?

Australia 2-0 Kuwait

Clint Bolton, Joel Griffiths (Sasho Petrovski 56), Kevin Muscat, Archie Thompson (Alex Brosque 69), Alvin Ceccoli, David Carney, Mark Milligan, Jade North, Michael Valkanis, Steve Corica (Matthew McKay 90), Travis Dodd
Goals : Dodd 75, Petrovski 86

Coach: Graham Arnold

???

Perhaps we were just really really really shit on the night?

Not denying quality issues across the team, but we had a 100% HAL lineup that night, and look at the score.

Jesus

Jesus
dibo said:
who else was at this game?

Australia 2-0 Kuwait

Clint Bolton, Joel Griffiths (Sasho Petrovski 56), Kevin Musc**t, Archie Thompson (Alex Brosque 69), Alvin Ceccoli, David Carney, Mark Milligan, Jade North, Michael Valkanis, Steve Corica (Matthew McKay 90), Travis Dodd
Goals : Dodd 75, Petrovski 86

Coach: Graham Arnold

???

Perhaps we were just really really really shit on the night?

Not denying quality issues across the team, but we had a 100% HAL lineup that night, and look at the score.

Agreed. The kuwaities spent 2 weeks togethr preparing for this game in NZ. We had half a week, some guys having not played for a month, some a couple of weeks, some only showing up a few days before the game due to playing the final, even having 3 players withdrawn due to injury from the final.

David Votoupal

Ursus said:
David Votoupal said:
If ever there was proof that a coaching revolution is needed in the A-League, this would be it.

The way our league is set up doesn't encourage betterment in any meaningful way. It encourages mediocrity and this shows when they are up against the rest of the world.

I'd rather watch teams like Swansea, Peterborough, Oldham, Exeter and Bury who actually play good football this season and certainly better than any A-League side is playing right now.

The coaching is needed before A-League level and it is beginning to happen (mariners Academy). FFS as Dibo points out in one of his posts it will take time. I am getting very tired of people here expecting a magic wand to be waved and for us to beat Man U consistently.

I give you Japan as an example of what can be achieved. They enticed coaches from around the globe, and Japanese coaches like Akira Nishino bear the stamp of that.

Arab countries were enticing BIG name foreign coaches in the 70s, and that includes Kuwait. They had Mario Zagallo and Carlos Alberto Parreira coach them in their best years, which included Asian Cup success and qualifying for a World Cup. They were the best side in Asia in the early 80s.

dibo

...and have had a professional development program for decades.

get it in your head - we're going to have to wait a bit for results.

David Votoupal

I'm sure that when proven foreign coaches do come into the A-League, and not the second rate hacks that have come here prior, we'll see a definite improvement in tactical awareness and football.

Jesus

Jesus
{quote author=David Votoupal link=topic=3235.msg91134#msg91134 date=1236312610]
Ursus said:
David Votoupal said:

I give you Japan as an example of what can be achieved. They enticed coaches from around the globe, and Japanese coaches like Akira Nishino bear the stamp of that.

Arab countries were enticing BIG name foreign coaches in the 70s, and that includes Kuwait. They had Mario Zagallo and Carlos Alberto Parreira coach them in their best years, which included Asian Cup success and qualifying for a World Cup. They were the best side in Asia in the early 80s.
[/quote]

Japanese clubs all have, and have had academies of probably greater scale than our proposed acedemy for some time. This means that players coming through now have had that advantage. If they did not have academies to teach their young players from 6year olds, they would not be doing any better even with foreign coaches.

A coach can only use the players he has at his disposal. Overall The a-league sees coaches pretty efficiently use their players. Better coaches will help win games with tactics, maybe increase the quality of training, and have some, though minimal short term advantages to playing quality.

But it is the big things which move us forward. Clubs having academies. Quality coaching being developed by the FFA, through their TD. Increasing the quality of young players, and less young players, and eventually professional players. But it takes time. Though the game is making large strides now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred