• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Socceroos vs Kuwait in Canberra

Sean

FFC Mariner said:
Finally, Pim sees what we all see (from the ABC)

Verbeek unleashes on 'hopeless' Socceroos pair
Posted 1 hour 33 minutes ago
Updated 50 minutes ago

Calling it how he sees it... Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek (file photo). (AFP: Toru Yamanaka)

Map: Canberra 2600
Related Story: Verbeek goes local for Kuwait clash Honesty is clearly still the best policy for frank Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek, despite being shot down for his perceived criticism of the A-League.

He was at his blunt best today after unveiling a 24-strong national squad of solely A-League players for the March 5 Asian Cup qualifier against Kuwait in Canberra.

The Dutchman described Melbourne strikers Danny Allsopp and Archie Thompson as "absolutely hopeless" in their last Asian Cup outing for Australia, a scoreless draw with Indonesia.

Im so happy PV saw this too as I couldnt stand these two against Indo.

Razorback said:
Mitch Nichols>>>Matt Simon

Younger, faster, better on the ball, ok couldn't score on the weekend but I'm pretty sure if he played for the mariners you'd love him, a la Simon the whole of last year. I still laugh at Simon when he is on the ball and I love him but IMO Nichols is a better prospect.

Nichols looks awesome with the service he receives. Just like Allsopp he did well to finish off good plays from their teams awesome midfield. And this happened for Matty also with Jedinak in what was a half decent midfield for us.

Not enough? How can Nichols be better than Matty when Matty scored more goals? Here is a stat - Matt Simon = 11 Goals vs Mitch Nichols = 5 goals.

serious14

oh noez Pim wuz nasti to da A-Leag.......

F*ck's sake, EVERYTHING he has said about it so far has been right.  The Australian media needs to crawl out of their own arses and accept that Johnny Foreigner's viewpoint is more often than not, far more neutral and correct than the biased shit we have here.

Yes, it's fantastic to have our own League.  But now that it's established, let's get rid of the tactical naivety and accept that what a lot of people are saying about it being defensively shite is 200% correct.  There's no point in the next generation of players being fast if they ship goals at 2 or 3 a game, is there??

clarence

serious14 said:

F*ck's sake, EVERYTHING he has said about it so far has been right.  The Australian media needs to crawl out of their own arses and accept that Johnny Foreigner's viewpoint is more often than not, far more neutral and correct than the biased shit we have here.

Yes, it's fantastic to have our own League.  But now that it's established, let's get rid of the tactical naivety and accept that what a lot of people are saying about it being defensively shite is 200% correct.  There's no point in the next generation of players being fast if they ship goals at 2 or 3 a game, is there??

+1000 Serious. AMEN TO PIM!

Fact is, too, he is possibly the best credentialled coach amongst us working here, and he HAS seen enough A-League matches to bring forward a very sound opinion of the game here. If we don't at least try to understand why he is saying what he is saying, we will just head backwards after the 2010 WC.

I doubt that Pim's views are required within the context of his contract with the FFA, so he is being frank and open -for free - about what he sees in the game in Australia. Given the success he has had in a number of countries as a coach, you'd be a bloody fool not to sit up and take notice.

FFC Mariner

I think the SFC nickname for Nicholls is apt TBH.

Matty is a different kind of player and future captain material if he stays.

Matty is a strong, in your face striker (with a surprisingly good 1st touch). Nicholls is just a fat Patafka

Sean

serious14 said:

Pim is just on a higher wavelength in regards to our football and the international scene, he has compared the two and this is what he has to say. Im not reading much of these articles where he has slammed Aus football and players, but is the media making him ot to be a whiner? Is the aus media taking sides with "our boys" rather than the intellegence we hired?
I trust the guys words right now as he has been right so far, and he agrees with me that Archie and Allsopp were shithouse the other week, and he waved to me in Vaucluse (only because I was in a Rolls Royce i bet).

BTW, Im wondering why Musialik or Dodd have not been included?

FFC Mariner

Disco hasnt played since the end of the regular season and Dodd is looking v unfit and in poor form (is it me or is he carrying extra weight?)

clarence

Agree with your above comments Sean.

The media bias in Australia is bloody horrible, you don't notice it so much, unless you go overseas and realise that other countries have different views to ours then come back and compare the media coverage here of the same issue....

In Australia, we are always portrayed as the hard slogging battlers who deserve a break and those nasty foreigners don't understand us, or our culture, mostly of which is bullshit.  And how dare anyone, even a very successful football coach like Pim Verbeek, criticise our local Football scene or it's players.

Redline

clarence said:
Agree with your above comments Sean.

The media bias in Australia is bloody horrible, you don't notice it so much, unless you go overseas and realise that other countries have different views to ours then come back and compare the media coverage here of the same issue....

In Australia, we are always portrayed as the hard slogging battlers who deserve a break and those nasty foreigners don't understand us, or our culture, mostly of which is bullshit.  And how dare anyone, even a very successful football coach like Pim Verbeek, criticise our local Football scene or it's players.

Must be the convict blood in us!! :lol:

Razorback

Sean Francis Lacy said:
Matt Simon = 11 Goals vs Mitch Nichols = 5 goals.

Mitch Nichols is a AM not a striker and had half the game time of Matt Simon. I wish we had a Mid that could score 5 goals a season.

bjw

bjw
Razorback said:
Sean Francis Lacy said:

Mitch Nichols is a AM not a striker and had half the game time of Matt Simon. I wish we had a Mid that could score 5 goals a season.

well, fwiw, we DID have Jedinak.. who scored 6 goals before he left..

Paolo

Razorback said:
Sean Francis Lacy said:

adam kwasnik...but you are probably too busy whinging that he wasnt a big name player to notice this

marinermick

Paolo said:
Razorback said:
Sean Francis Lacy said:

adam kwasnik...but you are probably too busy whinging that he wasnt a big name player to notice this

QFT

brett

Mitch has the instinct to get into the right place at the right time. That's a good sign for a player his age. Not the most delicate player, but can go box to box and doesn't look out of place in a tough physical league. These are attributes shared with Timmy-shoot Cahill - and if Nichols keeps rising you can bet your arse the media comparisons will arrive ad nauseum.

The one difference is that Cahill doesn't miss. But Mitch has the benefit of cracking the big time earlier in his teens, so he has more time at a high level to refine his skills. Spending time with Charlie Miller can only help him. But he obviously needs to perform at this level for an extended time to be taken seriously as a future prospect.

Channeling Pim Verbeek I would say he is an 'interesting player'.

mariners4ever

so, allsopp, jamieson and celeski all ruled out:

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/97653,trio-out-of-canberra-roos-clash.aspx

THE Socceroos will be without Danny Allsopp, Billy Celeski and Scott Jamieson for Thursday's Asian Cup qualifier with the trio withdrawn today through injury.
The squad assembled in the national capital today, with nine players who participated in Saturday's A-League 2009 Grand Final the last to arrive.

However, three players have been withdrawn from the squad announced by head coach, Pim Verbeek, last week.

Danny Allsopp (facial injury), Billy Celeski (hip injury) and Scott Jamieson (foot injury) all played in the A-League 2009 Grand Final on Saturday night but were deemed unfit after a routine medical assessment.

It is the first time the Qantas Socceroos have played in Canberra for almost 13 years. 

The Qantas Socceroos are drawn in Group B of the AFC Asian Cup 2011 qualification stage along with Indonesia, Kuwait and Oman. The top two teams from each group of the qualification stage will progress to the AFC Asian Cup 2011 to be held in Qatar.

The Socceroos are currently sitting in third position of Group B, with Kuwait in fourth.

Rowdy

Allsopp (facial): so he DID head-butt Cornthwaite
Celeski (hip): shagged to much in celebrating GF win
Jamieson (foot): his poor fcuking cat
8)

mariners4ever

Rowdy said:
Allsopp (facial): so he DID head-butt Cornthwaite

had read something in another article that a few of the victory players had injuries leading into the final, allsopp was one of them with a fractured cheekbone

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred