• Join ccmfans.net

ccmfans.net is the Central Coast Mariners fan community, and was formed in 2004, so basically the beginning of time for the Mariners. Things have changed a lot over the years, but one thing has remained constant and that is our love of the Mariners. People come and go, some like to post a lot and others just like to read. It's up to you how you participate in the community!

If you want to get rid of this message, simply click on Join Now or head over to https://www.ccmfans.net/community/register/ to join the community! It only takes a few minutes, and joining will let you post your thoughts and opinions on all things Mariners, Football, and whatever else pops into your mind. If posting is not your thing, you can interact in other ways, including voting on polls, and unlock options only available to community members.

ccmfans.net is not only for Mariners fans either. Most of us are bonded by our support for the Mariners, but if you are a fan of another club (except the Scum, come on, we need some standards), feel free to join and get into some banter.

Socceroos to play Singapore in preparation for China

serious14

"Socceroos to play Singapore

March 07, 2008

AUSTRALIA will play a friendly against Singapore this month to prepare for a 2010 World Cup qualifier against China.
National coach Pim Verbeek has announced a five-day camp in Singapore and a game against the island state on March 22.

The vital China match will be four days later.

"We want to play as many matches as we can against teams from Asia and, with Singapore also in the process of attempting to qualify for the World Cup, it is a perfect opponent for us," said Verbeek.

Due to club matches being played on the same weekend in Europe as the Singapore match it is likely the squad will be made up of mostly A-League players, giving them another important chance to earn a place in the squad to travel to Kunming to play China.

"This match will give valuable experience to A-League players and will be another important part of our program to keep them fit during the off season," said Verbeek.

"Once the match is over I will then decide who will make the final squad for the trip to China."

Verbeek also revealed that he took a lot of information away from a recent trip to China where he saw their national team in action.

"China played in a strong tournament so it was valuable for me to be able to see them play."

"They have stayed in camp and have already moved to Kunming to continue their preparations so the match against Singapore is vital for us."

Selected players from Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory who will be involved in Asian Champions League matches will join the camp once they complete their club matches on March 19.

The squad for these matches will be announced next week."

WOOT!!!!    ;D ;D ;D

Andy

Wouldn't be surprised to see this mostly A-League players tbh.

I've heard that Leigh Broxham will get a spot so I doubt there will be many o/s players in the squad.

serious14

Andy said:

It says that in the article.  The Euro players are playing club games at the exact same time as this game will be on.  Well, close enough to the exact same time......  get with the program Andy.  :p

Andy

serious14 said:
Andy said:

It says that in the article.  The Euro players are playing club games at the exact same time as this game will be on.  Well, close enough to the exact same time......  get with the program Andy.  :p

That's what I get for only reading parts of it.  ;)

loyalist

good opportunity for a-league clubs to scout out some potential talent in the sinapore side

Omni

They've had that chance before and they didn't do it.

Hopefully if they play two verses of the anthem more than one player knows the words, or at least doesn't start laughing, it IS still our anthem!

FFC Mariner

Lawrie did hint v strongly about Jedi but wouldnt name the other one.

Did give a few clues and we managed to narrow it down to 2.

Jesus

Jesus
This is a good chance to get a-league players used to playing international football. A way to close the gap between international, and club football.

Will be great experience

bjw

bjw
is the game gonna be on Foxtel?
god I hope so
cant wait for Singapore game
also cant wait for China game :)

Sean

Socceroos squad to play singapore:
Nigel Boogard (Central Coast Mariners), Leigh Broxham (Melbourne Victory), Nathan Burns (Adelaide United), Billy Celeski (Melbourne Victory), Ante Covic (Newcastle Jets), Bruce Djite (Adelaide United), Tarek Elrich (Newcastle Jets), Adam Griffiths (Newcastle Jets), James Holland (Newcastle Jets), Mile Jedinak (Central Coast Mariners), Jade North (Newcastle Jets), Nikita Rukavytsya (Perth Glory), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Nikolai Topor-Stanley (Perth Glory), Tando Velaphi (Perth Glory), Ruben Zadkovich (TBC), Michael Zullo (Queensland Roar).

mariners4ever

hmm. interesting squad, half vying for a spot in the socceroos while the other half getting game time preparing for the olympics

bulldogmariner

Congratulations to Mile on a sensational season he deserves everything he gets
Well done Nigel you look like you will start for Australia with lack of defenders in squad

kevrenor

brennan said:
is the game gonna be on Foxtel?
god I hope so
cant wait for Singapore game
also cant wait for China game :)

Yes, on Fox Sports.  When I find out time and channel I'll post it.

BOTN will have a writer at both games.

serious14

brennan said:
HAHAH, NO GRIFFFITHS

He's playing with Avispa Fukuoka in the J-League (Littbarski's team) on loan at the moment...... thus will be busy at the time of this game.

marc

No the reason Joel Griffiths wasn't picked was because Pim Verbeek doesn't like his attitude after he came out and critisised team selection after the Qatar game.. he said something along the lines of "a nsw state league team could have beaten Qatar".. and straight shooting Pim didn't appreciate this at all..

fish

Tando Velaphi (Perth Glory), ffs noone better???

Im keen to see Zullo at that level. I know its a lesser International but its an International none the less

marc

it's a shame isn't it.. danny would have definately been inline for his first international cap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForzaFred